What’s the most recent book you’ve finished?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s the most recent book you’ve finished?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

@ariel-f

That’s interesting. It would be cool to look back through the book to find what exactly it was missing that made you unable to connect. That’s what I love to do when I read a book I don’t like. Pinpoint everything little thing that made me dislike it. It really helps me out with my writing.

Ooo, what book was the best book you’ve read recently?

@elfwing

The subtle humor in the Hobbit is great. XD

Yeah, that’s one thing I love about Tolkien, there’s always something new to notice every time you read one of his books.

My favorite character from The Secret Garden is probably Colin. I like how he goes from being a spoiled brat to a kind young philosopher haha. I also like how he pretended to still be sick so he could surprise his father in person that he was able to walk. He also feels the most real to me amongst all the characters.

@seekjustice

Oh yeah, that makes sense. XD

Having one of the character narrate the story instead of the omniscient narration is a great idea. I almost always prefer deep pov intead of omniscient. I’m so much more invested into the story and characters when it’s in deep pov.

Kathleen
      @kathleenramm

@lewilliams I just looked up the Keeper of the Lost Cities series and it sounds really interesting. How are the characters? (I’m seriously considering ordering yet another book from the library lol)

@elanor

That’s been happening a lot lately to me too recently. I used to stick up my nose to classics because I thought they were dull and overrated, but recently I’ve been enjoying them quite a lot. As long as they are not romances, I enjoy them even more than most modern day books.

Elfwing
        @elfwing
          • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm Yes Tolkien was an amazing author! My inspiration for writing style is partly from him but less ‘fancy wording’ if you get what I mean XD simpler English.

Aww yes Colin is such a good character for a positive character arc. His character lie is big, isn’t it? I suppose he’s very relatable; he may be a brat to begin with and a self-entitled snob, but he’s struggling and yes it’s in his head but we’ve all had a point of that “what’s wrong with me?!!” whether it’s a health problem or just insecurity that most people especially teenagers have.

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Kathleen
          @kathleenramm

@elfwing

I know! I think that’s the very thing that makes him so relatable. We sympathize with him because of all the mental torture he put himself through, but at the same we are annoyed with how mean and pathetic he can be.

It’s not a character you want to relate to because, who wants to be Colin? But his positive character arc gives hope for a better life and mental state whenever we feel like Colin.

If Colin could become a better healthier person so can we!

Also, your writing style is similar to a less fancy version of Tolkien’s, was that intentional or did it naturally happen by reading his books many times?

Elfwing
            @elfwing
              • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm

yes, poor Colin. It also shows how critically important parents are; if you don’t teach your child to be confident and  a little independent, they literally cannot do things for themselves. And yes, he’s not a character I want to relate to but I can and it is encouraging to see his transformation!

as for my writing style… it was both in a way; the LoTR was the first real novel I ever read beyond Little House on the Prairie, I read the books so many times my writing naturally became somewhat like it, but when I turned fifteen or so, I realized how much love Tolkien’s style and I became more focused on writing that way. I can write in a different style, but the Tolkien one is most comfortable.

what book have you read the most?

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Natalie C.
              @nanisnook
                • Total Posts: 154

@kathleenramm

I just finished Lord of the Rings last night. It was awesome!

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

Ariel
                @ariel-f
                  • Total Posts: 50

@kathleenramm

One of my new favorite books, Ignite by Jenna Terese! It is amazing!

Elizabeth
                  @lewilliams
                    • Total Posts: 252

@kathleenramm The characters are quite good! They definitely get more fleshed out as the series goes on (I’m thinking of one ((Fitz)) in particular), and the dynamics are all very interesting. It’s a large enough cast so that their interactions are never dull, if you know what I mean. I’m currently impatiently waiting on someone to return Book 6 to my library so that I can read it. (Really, the audacity of people checking out books that I want to read. How could they. :P)

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Katherine
                    @mkfairygirl
                      • Total Posts: 549

@kathleenramm

The most recent book I finished was Held Captive by our very own @gracie-j !!!!😀 It was EXCELLENT!!!!!! I really love the Christian themes, and the characters were awesome!!!!! Rina had a great character arc too!!

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                      Fall in love with Jesus

Gracie J.
                      @gracie-j
                        • Total Posts: 1789

@mkfairygirl AWWW! Thank you, Kat! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! 😀

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h
                          • Total Posts: 3871

Ooh! The most recent book I finished was The Endling: The Last. It’s the first book in a series about a fantasy world where there are six main sentient creatures: humans, raptidons (talking birds), terramants (beetle-ish creatures), felivets (cat-like people who stand erect), natites (fish-like water beings) and dairnes (like dogs, except they stand erect, have pouches like marsupials, and have gliding wings like sugar gliders). The story is told from the perspective of Byx, the last known dairne, while she searches for what might be more of her kind and gathers a new family along the way. There’s a little bit of magic, but not a ton of spells actually written down in the book or anything. There’s science alongside the magic somehow? And the original dairne home is on a floating island which is actually a creature. The creature is so old, dirt and rocks have collected on it and made a covering which is close enough to an island that things can live on it.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Katherine
                          @mkfairygirl
                            • Total Posts: 549

@gracie-j Of course, girl!!!❤️ And I’ve already started on Prisoner at Heart. 😀 Sadly, school cuts down on my reading time.

@keilah-h
                            Ooh, that sounds like a cool book!!!!!

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                            Fall in love with Jesus

Gracie J.
                            @gracie-j
                              • Total Posts: 1789

@mkfairygirl EEE! I hope you like it! Augh, I know the feeling! 🙁

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Alexa Autorski
                              @writerlexi1216
                                • Total Posts: 1011

@kathleenramm

I know this is late *sheepish grin*, but the most recent book I finished was Rick Riordan’s The Sea of Monsters, the second book of the Percy Jackson series. And I have to say I’ve quickly fallen in love with the series and basically all it has to offer. The characters get more fleshed-out book-by-book and the aesthetic of it is just… *chef’s kiss* unlike anything I’ve ever seen. I’m honestly glad to get back into the swing of reading because I went a looong time without touching a book (mostly due to school), so I’ve definitely been filling up my bookshelves lately. 😀 Anyways, just my two cents! And I’m totally not taking notes in the corner of everybody else’s books… *hides notepad*

@lewilliams

Oooh, sorry to interrupt this, but I have to ask how has the KotLC series been so far? I’m still only on Exile *sheepish grin* because I’ve been reading other things, but I’ve been meaning to get back into that series! (For some reason just looking at the book covers makes me want to read them more… weird.) What is your favorite book/character so far? 😀

Kathleen
                                @kathleenramm

@writerlexi1216

Percy Jackson was my childhood! I started reading the series when I was nine and they still have a special place in my heart today. The Lighting Thief was the first book that made me like reading!

Whose your favorite character?

And what thing about the books surprised you the most?

@nanisnook

Woah! I’m so glad you liked it! LotR is pretty spectacular.

Which of the three books was your favorite?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >