What’s the most recent book/movie you read/watched that has inspired you?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s the most recent book/movie you read/watched that has inspired you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What’s the most recent book/movie you read/watched that has inspired you to write?

Well, if we’re going by recently, then it would have to be Avatar the Last Airbender. Yes, yes, I know it’s a kids show that was made like a decade ago, but I started watching it for the first time this month and I’m enjoying it way more than I ever anticipated. Plus, it’s also giving me major writing inspiration and story ideas.

It really makes me want to dive deeper into world building. For some reason I’ve always put world building off to the way-side, but after watching AtLA it has made me realize the full potential of world building and how much it can add to a story.

So what’s the most recent thing you read or watched that gave you inspiration to write?

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Probably the movie The Prestige by Christopher Nolan. Absolutely stunning. The way the plot was, how the characters acted…made me realize the potential of extremely convoluted plots.

That wasn’t the most recent, though. I just wanted to mention it.

The actual most recent was probably The Golden Sheep, Vol. 1 by Kaori Ozaki, which I read I think last week? It’s a manga, made me cry, and now I must buy all three volumes. It basically gave me yet another story idea about a group of friends who promise to go see the ocean together but as they grow up, grow apart. I really like this author’s way of thinking, and I’ve realized more of the potential of simplistic, slice-of-life stories about sad things.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
        @william-starkey
          • Total Posts: 634

@kathleenramm Oh, well, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Extended Edition). Watched it last night as a matter of fact.

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice
            • Total Posts: 3365

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@devestate-lasting</p>
            The Prestige is an awesome movie! I really enjoyed it.

@kathleenramm

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban! It’s such a well made movie and I absolutely loved the book as well. But the movie, which I watched about six weeks ago, broke my eighteen month writers block and I started writing a book completely unplanned! I’ve written every day since then and have 40k words written!

Oh and ATLA looks so good! One of my kids at youth group keeps pestering me to watch it and I keep promising to do so, but haven’t done it yet.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Emberlynn
            @emberlynn
              • Total Posts: 17

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. Fantastic plot. Very gripping. Also got me excited about world-building again XD

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
              @william-starkey
                • Total Posts: 634

@kathleenramm (Yea; world-building is great, once one gets the hang of it.) Oh, and also: The Desolation of Smaug (also Extended Edition), and The Lord of the Rings books, The History of Middle-Earth books, Unfinished Tales/etc., lots and lots of Charles Dickens (The Mystery of Edwin Drood, and Barnaby Rudge/etc.), The Fall of Gondolin, The Silmarillion (many if not all of these I’m not really showing on Goodreads…that’s either because I’m bored, or I’ve got other things to do). These all are really bursting the floodgates of maps, languages, histories, peoples, etc. for my fantasy world – which some would refer to as Ìrindorhl, but others would not. Great stuff; unfortunately, I don’t have with me my books, so I’m just trying to grunt through it. I’ve reverted to drawing rough sketches of maps on printer paper and in notebooks (which would be fine except for the fact that I’ve got to be thinking about size difference between maps, and the actual size difference of geological and historical landmarks/etc. [I can’t stand using that word landmarks in relation to my fantasy]). This is generally fine except when trying to be as exact as possible. As well as somewhat ornate with the maps, though I generally prefer using only pen and paper for my maps (usually just black pens, but on occasion red pens as well to mark out roads…roads don’t appear often though as the lands are often wild and uncivilized). I should probably draw them out first in pencil, then go over them in pen once I’ve touched them up nicely…but I don’t usually. XD Strange thing about my pens: they’re acting up on me. I’ve got plenty of ink and all, but…either only a very small amount of ink comes out or too much ink comes out. Maybe its because this is the batch I’ve set aside for a while (not using them often, that is). I’ve been juggling something between three and five pens mostly…

Kathleen
                @kathleenramm

@devastate-lasting

Hhmm… I’ve been looking for looking for some good new shows for my siblings and I to watch. From what you and @seekjustice said I may have to watch it.

I love stories that focus on the small simple things in life that get overlooked. What I’ve realized recently is that a story about someone trying to open up a successful pub can be just as gripping and heart-wrenching as a story about a villain trying to take over the world. And the latter types of stories are so over done at times, that I now prefer stories that focus in on specific things and people that don’t usually get a book written about them.

@william-starkey

That sounds like a nice evening. What’s your thoughts on the Hobbit movies?

@seekjustice

Wow! It’s awesome how just watching a good movie can totally crush writer’s block. Maybe I should use this example as an excuse to watch more movies… XD Do you have a favorite Harry Potter book/movie?

@emberlynn

This is the first time I heard about that series! But it sounds like it might have to go on my to-read list. Are there any good characters in it? (good characters are a must, you see)

Emberlynn
                  @emberlynn
                    • Total Posts: 17

@kathleenramm There were, actually.  I felt like they were all developed pretty well.  The mc wasn’t my favorite character… he’s kinda an awkward teen, tho that does play into his character arc.  There’s some pretty good side characters tho 🙃

Anyway, yeah I would definitely recommend it.  I’m re-reading the series (The Reckoner’s Trilogy), and Steelheart (book 1) is very much a favorite of mine. 🙂

Kathleen
                    @kathleenramm

@emberlynn

Cool! I’ll be putting it on my to-read list for sure.

Annika C.
                      @annika-c
                        • Total Posts: 19

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, because of the unique and original concept and good friendships between characters.

Fawkes by Nadine Brandes, because of the incredible historical fiction plot.

consistency and passion are key

Kathleen
                        @kathleenramm

@annika-c

Steelheart has been on my to-read list! Have you read the entire series? And if so, which book is your favorite?

Annika C.
                          @annika-c
                            • Total Posts: 19

I have only read the first book so far but immediately ordered the next two after reading. I highly recommend it!!

consistency and passion are key

Scoutillus Finch
                            @scoutfinch180
                              • Total Posts: 413

I just finished Phantastes by George MacDonald. It is a weighty read and I could only take it in small bites. It is SUCH a beautiful novel about a man’s travels in fairyland and his pursuit of an ideal woman. It is one of the books that helped to make the fantasy genre what we know it today, influencing C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. It is so creative while still employing some clichés to a noble effect. I found the sheer beauty and symbolism of the book inspiring. Though it is a bit sad, it has a hopeful ending.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Kathleen
                              @kathleenramm

@scoutfinch180

I always hear about people being inspired by C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, but rarely do I get to hear about books that have inspired them! I’m definitely going to have to check Phantastes out. I love books that execute symbolism well, and also the original books where the cliches of today came from.

GodlyFantasy12
                                @godlyfantasy12
                                  • Total Posts: 6645

@kathleenramm

Probably Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson (the rewritten first 3, although I skimmed the 2nd one cuz it was never my favorite even originally lol)

The KK series is awesome wether u read the new first 3 book rewrites or all of the originals (I recommend doing both, except maybe with the 2nd book cuz only little things changed, and maybe the 1st one, but the redo of the 3rd book was AWESOME!!)

And I say it got me inspired because the series is VERY dear to my heart.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                                  #ProtectMarcel
                                  #ProtectSeb

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >