What’s an unexpected place you got a story idea from?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s an unexpected place you got a story idea from?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Elishavet Pidyon
    @elishavet-pidyon
      • Total Posts: 1014

@maryg3 You stayed in a manor house in Ireland? That’s… *At a loss for words*. What was is like?

I’ve grown up as a homeschooler PK in a small town, so yeah, church can be a rather social place… but with Bible quizzing, the library, and our homeschool group, it’s not like we’re really isolated. (Or maybe I just don’t know the difference)

Did someone mention potlucks? Oh, the blessed fifth Sunday.

Also, I hardly ever remember my dreams anymore. *Sigh*. I almost feel miffed. What great ideas do I forget every morning?

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Kathleen
      @kathleenramm
        • Total Posts: 635

@faith-q

Haha, well, it doesn’t really have to be exciting to be unexpected.

Like the amount of times I’ve gotten story ideas out of an unexpected look, laugh, or hello is absurd.

Have you ever gotten an idea for a certain trait for a character from a person you know?

@cathrynv

That’s cool. Now you’ll have to credit Evanescence as a co-writer for your novel now lol.

I adore music. It inspires me with so much including writing.

@power

Man, your dream about the cake and the corpse might make my top ten favorite dreams I’ve heard about.

Did you actually put that in a story? If so I’d love to here how you did it and the details.

@sparrowhawke

I’ve written the Waffle House partly… in my head. XD

It’s been a baby story for a while, but mark my words it will one day grow up into a fantastic story!

Just have to errr… fit it in with the rest of the hundreds of stories I want to write, haha.

Mary G
        @maryg3
          • Total Posts: 90

@elishavet-pidyon

Yep! Haha! It was really cool! It was rather large with a courtyard in the back that we weren’t allowed to go in. It a yellow manor with black shutters and roof, a large front door, and three huge steps out front with white pillars. I spent most of my time outdoors with my siblings when we stayed there. I remember a huge curved staircase at the back of the the main hall when i came in the front door. Later on, I wanted to slide down it but my older sister told me not to. It looked a little rickety and old anyway…Darn it!! Haha!

The heating in the old manor wasn’t very good so we had to light a fire in what might have been considered a drawing-room. We burned peat moss in the fireplace which is a very common way to feed your fire in Ireland. It has a very characteristic smell. I remember just sitting in that room to stay warm while waiting to go out and go on tours and visit churches and stuff. Honestly, I spent very little time at the manor because we would be out all day touring. The manor was just a place to sleep! Lol, We ate our meals at the random town restaurant/pubs nearby. There was a kitchen in the manor but it was small and kinda dark. I remember commenting to my mom how there were no paper towels or any form of paper products in the kitchen to use. 😄 it was a little tricky to get used to, but like I said we weren’t spending much time in the manor. There were probably four large rooms upstairs from what I can remember. There were some rooms downstairs I never went into so I’m not sure what was down there. A den and drawing room and kitchen are all I remember.

There were also these strange groundskeeper-type people that I would see every once in a while. It was weird to have them around the property but I guess that’s what you get at an air b&b. There was a chocolate lad named Cadbury who belonged to the strange purple I think. She was a great dog. She played with us at the river and we would toss large sticks into the river for her to jump in and fetch.

The was a steep hill-like ravine in front of the manor that we explored. And there were beautiful green lawns and flowers and a super tall tree with a swing. There was also a little path through a forest that led down to the river that was obscure by the forest in front of the manor. We spent many hours in the forest on a small ivy-covered stone bridge that spanned over a little river that broke away through the forest that was part of the large river. If I could go anywhere, I’d want to go back to that little bridge and have stick races with my siblings again. It truly felt like a fairy tale setting, as if you were in another time.

Sorry that was long. Lol I should just have written a short story about it!😄

Our church here in MN has a co-op so I also had that as a form of socializing.

Yeah, I don’t remember my dreams that much anymore either.

INFJ/ChristianFiction/ IceCreamAddict/ StarGazer/ https://lamplighterletters.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Power
          @power
            • Total Posts: 292

@kathleenramm I haven’t use the birthday cake corpse ideas in a story (and don’t really plan to). What I got out of the dream was the emotions and experience of being near someone when they are told that a loved one has passed.

You will love what you spend time with.

Elishavet Pidyon
            @elishavet-pidyon
              • Total Posts: 1014

@maryg3

You should write a short story about it/in that setting, just ’cause it sounds so “readable”, if that makes sense. You know, the strange ground keeping people could be part of a spy ring or the guardians of a secret…. ok, my train of thought is on a detour. *Note lightbulb over head*

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Mary G
              @maryg3

@elishavet-pidyon

Yeah, I’m using the yellow manor house and the river, but without the bridge, in my current 2nd draft of my WIP.

Maybe the ground keepers are made to stay there against their will. Blackmail maybe. And if they leave something horrible will happen. I smell a mystery. Hehe

INFJ/ChristianFiction/ IceCreamAddict/ StarGazer/ https://lamplighterletters.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Elfwing
                @elfwing
                  • Total Posts: 486

@maryg3 Same!!!! we had a hobby farm and tons of woods to explore. At least I had a sister to be my comrade in crime lol

and same with writing, I love rewriting sad things that have happened to process them, its a tool i often turn to

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Mary G
                  @maryg3

@elfwing
                    Sameo!!! My siblings have always been my partners in crime XD

yeah, when you write from personal experience it definitely has a different impact on the reader. It’s more relatable and accurate.
                    (this convo is drifting from the original topic I think) lolol

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >