What’s a genre of fiction you want to write in, but haven’t yet?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s a genre of fiction you want to write in, but haven’t yet?

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

“What’s a genre of fiction you want to write in, but haven’t yet? Why do you want to, and why haven’t you yet?”

For me, it would be science fiction. I think the genre would be really fun to write in. And the types of stories you could write in that genre are endless.

The reason why I haven’t written sci-fi before is that I really want to take advantage of the genre and dive deep into world-building. But world-building takes me quite a long time to do, aaaaaand I haven’t put in the time yet. XD

Though, a science fiction novel will definitely be in the works (hopefully) soon.

So what’s a genre that you want to write in in the future? Why do you want to and why haven’t you yet?

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I think it would be historical fiction.

There’s a lot of aesthetics/time periods that I really like, (1920’s, 1930’s, 1870’s) but I guess the reason why I haven’t is because there’s just too much research to do.

Maybe one day! Who knows!

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Kathleen
        @kathleenramm

@devastate-lasting

Yes, the research is very intimidating.

When you do write a historical fiction novel will you just have it take place in a certain time period, or will you base it after an historical event?

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Probably the former. I once had a short story idea for the Great Chicago Fire of 1873, but I managed to incorporate that into fantasy.

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

R.M. Archer
            @r-m-archer
              • Total Posts: 243

The only one I’d like to try that I’ve never written before would be steampunk. Steampunk seems like it would be so much fun, and I love the style and tone! But I haven’t really had any steampunk-style ideas yet, so I haven’t tried it out.

There are other genres, though, that I’ve written in and just would like to do more and… don’t. Like contemporary. I’ve written a handful of contemporary short stories, but since I struggle to carry a story with primarily internal conflict (and because I don’t like being tethered to fact ;P) I haven’t tackled any of my longer ideas.

I’ve also dabbled in horror, which isn’t one I want to write a whole lot, but I do have one sci-fi horror story idea that I just haven’t gotten around to writing. In part because I want to read Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde first, since it draws some inspiration from those stories; in part just because I haven’t focused on it. But I have a random gothic horror side project, so I have technically written horror, also.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Kathleen
              @kathleenramm

@r-m-archer

Steampunk has always intrigued me as well!

Although I don’t think I’ve ever read a book that was Steampunk. Have you read any Steampunk books that are good?

R.M. Archer
                @r-m-archer
                  • Total Posts: 243

@kathleenramm I haven’t read a whole lot, but the short story Chronicles of Steele: Raven: Episode 1 by Pauline Creeden is good; I imagine the rest of the series is also. I also read Hoffmann’s Assistant by Renee Lauter (another short story), which wasn’t as deep or polished as it maybe could have been but was still enjoyable to read. I’ve also heard that Renegade Skyfarer by R.J. Metcalf is good, but I haven’t had the chance to read it yet so I can’t speak from experience.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Michelle Black
                  @michelle
                    • Total Posts: 87

@kathleenramm I really want to try my hand at Science Fiction/realistic fantasy. I think merging those two things together would be really awesome! it would not be your typical sci fi story, because aliens, space ships, and planets are to stereotypical. I have been thinking about that for some, but I could not think of a plot to save my life lol. What about you?

Kathleen
                    @kathleenramm

@michelle

Same! Science fiction is the genre that I would like to write a novel in but haven’t written in yet.

Mixing sci-fi with fantasy sounds really cool! There are endless cool story ideas that can come out of that combination of genres. But yeah, I’m on the same boat as you and haven’t yet thought of a plot idea.XD

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice
                        • Total Posts: 3365

I’d love to try literary fiction!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Merie Shen
                        @merieshenanigans
                          • Total Posts: 38

@kathleenramm Sci-fi for me too! The problem is that all the techy stuff would just go way over my head and I can’t xD Historical fiction would be awesome too, but I’ve never had the time for research and I wouldn’t even know which era to try, although ancient Rome has always fascinated me.

~ always be a happy camper ~

Kathleen
                          @kathleenramm

@seekjustice

Ooooh, that is a cool genre. Do you have a favorite literary fiction book?

@merieshenanigans

Yes, the struggle for creative writers. We want to stick to being creative and just create new worlds, stories, and characters, and avoid the research aspect like the plague.XD

Ooooh I love stories taking place in ancient Rome! I’ve only read like 3 books in that time period and place, but the ones I’ve read I enjoyed. So if you do decide to write a book in that era, I would definitely be interested. Have you read any good books in that era?

Merie Shen
                            @merieshenanigans
                              • Total Posts: 38

@kathleenramm That just about sums it up xD There seems to be no avoiding it though, lol, even in fantasy.

I loved the Detectives in Toga duology by Henry Winterfield and Daughter of Rome and Thief of Corinth by Tessa Afshar. I can’t say I’ve read many others… I should go on the hunt! Especially if I’m ever going to write a story set in that time period! xD

~ always be a happy camper ~

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >