What’s a book that hasn’t aged well for you?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s a book that hasn’t aged well for you?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Trahia the Minstrel
    @trahia-the-minstrel
      • Total Posts: 193

@anatra

Brothers, am I right?😂 I loved watching anime with my bro, though. Have you ever tried Snow White with the Red Hair? I’d recommend it as one of the cleanest anime’s I’ve watched. Here’s what could be viewed as dodgy about it:

In the first episode, the prince of her home kingdom tries to convince her to be his concubine. She runs away and there’s never anything bad shown or even anything bad done, it’s just kinda like a plot device to force her to leave her home.

In the second episode she gets kidnapped by another dude, but again, nothing bad happens, and *spoiler*, she escapes.

There’s a bit of bad language, and one episode where the violence is slightly worse (episode 8) but it’s nothing compared to the violence in animes like Sword Art. If you’ve already watched a R-rated anime, you’d probably be fine, cause Snow White is rated M.

In the second season, there’s a pirate lady with a bit of an inappropriate outfit, but she doesn’t do anything with the outfit, it’s just there.

There’s an onsen episode (episode 21 overall, or season 2 episode 9) where the characters are like in Japanese style public baths and being somewhat stupid. I just skip this episode, as it’s not super relevant to the plot😊.

But on the whole, this is a pretty wholesome and cute anime. The main heroine, Shirayuki, is a strong female without being one of those warrior types, so that’s kinda refreshing. She’s an herbalist, and is really sweet.

Her love interest, Prince Zen, is the most honourable and adorable lover ever. (In this show, there is never anything worse than a few kisses and innocent hugs. Also refreshing). Their romance is so cute.

The secondary characters, Prince Zen’s two aides, Mitsuhide and Kiki, are a great male-female friend-soldier duo, and hilarious. Obi, a former assassin who becomes Shirayuki’s bodyguard eventually, is hilarious (he’s also the one who makes the most stupid/mildly inappropriate comments, but if you’re 16 or over, you should probably be fine. My sister watched it at 13 and was fine, and we’ve read all the mangas too.)

Hard to say if there’s a villain, but the main antagonist is Zen’s older brother, Crown Prince Izana, who is constantly testing Shirayuki and Zen’s relationship and driving Zen up the wall because he basically messes with Zeno’s life for pleasure. I really enjoy Izana’s character.😁

Anyway, this is like my favourite anime/manga series ever, and I will now stop nerding about it, because I could go on for hours.

P.S. I always watch it in Japanese with subtitles. Shirayuki’s voice is a lot sweeter that way.😊 I feel like her English voice doesn’t capture her personality as well. I have watched it in both to see.

Okay, I’ll stop now lol😂

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
      That’s my wish to create.

Trahia the Minstrel
      @trahia-the-minstrel

@elanor

Bree … one of my favourite female characters to this day.😊

And Mikkel — he has such a great character arc! I also really loved his eventual brother-like relationship with Devin. And Devin and Bree’s relationship is great, too!

I love how non-soppy the romance is in this series is. It also grows so gradually and naturally — something I think more kids and YA books could emulate.☺️😊

Power
        @power
          • Total Posts: 292

A book series that hasn’t aged well for me is the Enola Holmes series. I have three siblings and all of them girls, also our mother has been a voracious reader for about her entire life, so a lot of the literature I’ve been introduced to was written for girls ( The American Girl books, Little Women, the Little House on the Prairie series, the Ann of Green Gables series, Caddie Woodlawn, Ella enchanted, Judy Moody, Emma, Jane Eyre, and on and on.) One of these was Enola Holmes, and as a kid I remember enjoyed them. About a year ago I decided to relisten to the audiobook version and found to my dismay that there were a lot of things I understood now and which made the story kinda awkward for a male audience. Needless to say, I decided not to finish the series.

You will love what you spend time with.

Anatra
          @anatra23
            • Total Posts: 211

@joy-caroline

🙂 Amen.

@trahia-the-minstre

Ah, yes. I have seen that anime. Snow White With the Red Hair is one of my friends favorite anime. My brother (who’s best friends with this girl(my friend)) convinced me to watch the anime (big surprise) for his best friend’s sake.

I enjoyed most of it, the romance was adorable at times. I just wish the characters had more depth than the whole kid-napping prince thing. I didn’t see much world building, and poor Shirayuki didn’t develop much past episode 4. Zen, mmmmmm, kinda seemed like a stereotype(not to say I didn’t eat it up) but I also wish he had more developing time, and the guts to just SIT DOWN AND TALK with Shirayuki. That may have been harsh. Yea, I liked their relationship. It was just lacking, I think.

I loved Obi, but wished he was in more episodes. Same with Kiki.

Izana confused me XD

there’s TWO SEASONS? I’ve only seen the first! How did I not know this?

YES. I agree. Anime subbed(Japanese with subtitles) is usually 100% better than anime dubbed(Voice acted in English). I’ve only seen one or two anime dubbed that meet/exceed the standards of the subbed.

Oh, if you like that, I think you may like Yona of the Dawn. Idk if you’ve heard of it, and I’m only 7 or 8 episodes in, but it’s similar to SWWTRH, in that it’s set in a medieval/before technology time, has a strong female protagonist, AMAZING soundtrack, and a romance story.

I’m not sure if you’d be interested, but, just in case, it has the same sort of profanity as Snow White (WTRH) and it appeals to the same sort of audiences.

It’s about Yona, a princess, who’s trying to take down a group of people who are hunting her and her body guard (the love interest) because they’re trying to take down her monarchy lineage and put their leader, A.K.A. her childhood crush on her throne.

I like it so far, I think.

And, yes, I will totally listen to anime nerding for hours lol.

Trahia the Minstrel
            @trahia-the-minstrel

@anatra23

Yeah, the second season has a lot more drama. But the mangas go way further in the story than the anime, so I’m really enjoying reading them! (We’re up to 16 in English, now, cause I can’t read Japanese that well😅😂)

Yeah, Shirayuki’s character growth — she kinda doesn’t develop a lot for a bit. But in the mangas, after where the anime ends, so manga #9, she starts to develop a bit more again. Manga #10 nothing much happens, it’s just kinda cute, 11 — some more development, 12 — feels like the whole plot swivelled and ramped up at this point. You’re kinda like, oh no! But — their cute romance. Where is this going? 13 was kinda mediocre, it felt a bit like a stepping stone. 14 felt too short, though some important stuff happened. Manga #15 — again, there was some good plot development in this one. Haven’t read 16 yet😂.

It’s kinda slow-moving, I guess, but I’m just so attached to the characters at this point that I have to keep reading. Not to mention I want to see Zen and Shirayuki get married at the end❤️.

Zen’s character — maybe he is a stereotype, but at least he’s a cute stereotype.😊 He actually gets a lot more plot development and character growth than Shirayuki in the second season and after, I feel.

If you want more Obi, there is so much of Obi in the mangas😂.

There’s almost an entire book detailed to Kiki and Mitsuhide’s relationship.

Yes. Subbed anime rules!

No, I’ve never seen that one. Perhaps I’ll have to check it out!😁 Might try to convince my older sister to watch it with me😏.

Amazing soundtracks are the best! Attack on Titan has an amazing soundtrack, but I really don’t recommend that one, it’s horrifically violent. I haven’t seen it, my older siblings have told me about it. But it’s awful, apparently. Really good soundtrack, though.😊

We should start an anime nerding thread.😁

Anatra
              @anatra23
                • Total Posts: 211

@trahia-the-minstrel

I will look for the rest of the anime/manga then! How many manga are there?

You know some Japanese? That’s so cool!

I’ve heard some Attack on Titan music and (another big surprise) my bro has watched it.

Elanor
                @elanor
                  • Total Posts: 184

Sorry it took a while to respond. Life…

@kathleenramm

The original story behind Robin Hood if you read any history is quite different then the young man who is kicked out of his home because he’s loyal to King Richard and who’s madly in love with Maid Marian. But the whole “when he lived”, “what exactly he did”, etc  are up to huge debate.

Yes, that would be a cool writing idea. Hmm, that’s given me an idea for another character in my novel, thank you.

@trahia-the-minstrel

Yes. I loved those Viking Quest characters too. I agree Mikkal’s characters arc is one of my favourites of all the books I’ve read. I love a book that I can read now and when I was younger and still enjoy.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Daisy Torres
                  @daisy-torres
                    • Total Posts: 691

Tbh, the Lunar Chronicles.

I know, I know, I’m asking for the wrath of a huge fandom by saying this, but it’s true XD I used to really like the series, but upon looking back, it really wasn’t that great. Don’t get me wrong, the settings were creative and amazing, and I lovedddd the idea of a sci-fi fairytale retelling, but I think the only reason I loved the series so much was because CInder reminded me of my character Catherine in The Art of Deception.

The series was just too. . . cheesy? Not thought out well enough? I’m not sure, but that series didn’t age well for me haha.

@e-k-seaver
                    Okay I had to read that series in school when I was really little, and not gonna lie, I forgot what the entire thing was about XD From what you’re saying though, I’d probably agree with you if I remembered enough XD

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Daisy Torres
                    @daisy-torres

@trahia-the-minstrel I was about to get SO mad at you when I saw you talking about The Viking Quest on this forum XDD I went back to read why ‘it didn’t age well for you’ and now I’m sorry for being so upset XD That series is one of my all time FAVORITES <3 it’s one of the first books that got me into reading, I’ve reread it and embarrassing amount of times, and it got me through some times in my life and honestly drew me closer to God. I am so glad to find others who love it!!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Elanor
                      @elanor
                        • Total Posts: 184

@daisy-torres

Sorry for the moment of panic I gave you by mentioning them. Lol.

It IS an amazing series and *cough* I’ve read through the whole series a good amount of times as well.

It helped me in tough stuff too. It’s amazing how reading about someone else’s struggles and growths (fantasy or not) can help you.

For me that’s what defines a good book from one I’d not read again. The characters having real struggles. Not always succeeding- but learning through their failures.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Elanor.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Daisy Torres
                        @daisy-torres

@elanor it’s totally fine XD

It really is amazing!! I lovee books about Ireland and the Sea. And Vikings. That book just hits me differently than other books do, ngl XD

Isn’t it though?? That’s honestly one of the reasons I love writing so much. It’s nice to know that you have a way to help others when they need it.

You know, I guess I’ve never boiled it down before, but I think you pretty much summed it up. That’s what makes masterpieces like The Little Princess, The Secret Garden, Jane Eyre, and all those others.

Bethany
                          @sparrowhawke
                            • Total Posts: 30

@kathleenramm

The Boxcar Children for me. I loved those books when I was younger, but now I can see how cheesy and simplistic they are. The characters are super perfect and bland.

I did read a hilarious Goodreads review for one of them though.

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice
                              • Total Posts: 3365

@e-k-seaver

Ooohh, Elsie Dinsmore…you’ve just brought up quite a lot of repressed memories. And you’re right, Elsie is the epitome of legalistic Christianity, and if that was an accurate representation of Christianity…well, I wouldn’t want to have anything to do with it.

But like you, it’s also one of the reasons I’m committed to writing good Christian fiction.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice
                                • Total Posts: 3365

@kathleenramm

I’m a huge rereader, so if there’s something I read in my youth and I can remember what it was called, I’ll probably reread it.

The ones that don’t stand up for me now are usually older books, like Pollyanna (while I like that Pollyanna is cheerful through a lot of bad things, personally I think she’s way too cheerful and the message is essentially never feel anything but joy or else) and What Katy Did (which is really quite messed up when you think about it. She’s a tomboy, becomes paralysed, and then is healed as soon as she learns to be dignified). Also the Mandie books, and the Rangers Apprentice. Neither of them are bad, but I just feel they’re the sort of books that don’t appeal much outside of the age range of their main audience.

Surprisingly, I reread my favourite fantasy series last year, Deltora Quest, and I was amazed by how well they held up. They were almost as good as I remembered them being. And I’m not a very nostalgic person.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Bethany
                                @sparrowhawke
                                  • Total Posts: 30

@seekjustice

Oh yes Pollyanna! That was one of the first novels I read, and I enjoyed it then, but I haven’t read it since. I have a hunch my feelings toward it now would be quite different.

I haven’t read Elsie Dinsmore, but I’ve heard enough about it that I know I’d only read it for laughs. Or if I want to pull all my hair out. Probably the latter.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >