What motivates you to write? What do you do when you lack motivation?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What motivates you to write? What do you do when you lack motivation?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What motivates you to write? 

What do you do when you lack motivation?

What motivates me to write is the adventure of exploring new worlds and interesting characters. Once I’ve deeply developed both I find it so easy to write. However, if I’m not interested in the characters, if they’re too vague are haven’t been fully created yet, it’s hard for me to get invested in the story enough to write.

So, when I’m unmotivated and don’t feel like writing, I usually then use that time to brainstorm cool ideas, understand my characters better, fill out the world more, reread a chapter or two from one of my favorite books, or if I’m really unmotivated I’ll look on Pinterest for story and character inspiration. Or talk to fellow writers online and in real life about stories and writing. And if I’m still unmotivated to write after that, well, I at that point have to suck it up and just type anyway. Usually, after writing a few hundred words even if they’re bad, I almost always feel more motivated to write.

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Recently I’ve gotten into review swaps on one of those webnovel sites, and it’s been pretty good for my motivation. Now I really want to go work on my projects.

Essentially I am constantly working on three projects at a time: my main stuff, which is handwritten; a webnovel; and working on typing and redrafting what I have already written. So if I lack motivation for one, I can go and work on my other stories.

Also, in addition to writing, I have two other hobbies, so when I don’t feel like writing, I switch between those. It’s quite nice to not limit myself to one craft.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Kathleen
        @kathleenramm

@devastate-lasting

I really like the idea of working on three projects at a time. That way, whatever you work on it feels fresh and new.

How do you write web-novels? And how much different is it than writing traditional novels?

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting

@kathleenramm Truth be told, I am rather new to the business of writing webnovels. It’s very popular in Asia, an easy way for writers to get their writings online. From what I’ve seen webnovels are generally serialized daily by chapter, each usually a first draft, which usually makes them lower in quality than a traditional novel. Each chapter is also shorter, generally 1500 – 2000 words. However, in terms of overall length, webnovels are usually much longer, and can be serialized from months to even years. One of the reasons why I decided to transfer my current project into a webnovel is because the total would come around to 3000 webnovel chapters, which is far too long for traditionally publishing. If your webnovel is popular you may sign a contract with the site, or some, like The King’s Avatar, get manga/ anime/ movie adaptions.

However, my traditional writing habits kick in, so I like to finish a project and edit it before serializing it, to ensure higher quality.

Kathleen
            @kathleenramm

@devastate-lasting

That’s cool! Have you published one of your webnovels online yet, or are you still in the process of writing it?

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting

@kathleenramm I published a short story a few months ago, and am currently working on a longer work.

Merie Shen
                @merieshenanigans
                  • Total Posts: 38

@kathleenramm I find that the deeper my characters’ arcs run in the story, the more motivated I am to finish the story. I just want to make that character learn the lesson s/he needs to learn! So if I’m feeling unmotivated, I usually start working on character arcs/backstories because I know I’m lacking in that area. (For some reason I always begin drafting a story when the character arcs aren’t fully developed yet.)

@devastate-lasting
                  That’s cool! I personally can’t focus on more than one novel project at a time… I’m too easily distracted, lol. Do you use a platform like Wattpad for the webnovels?

~ always be a happy camper ~

Kathleen
                  @kathleenramm

@merieshenanigans

Ah yes, one of the most frustrating things about having an unfinished story are the characters’ incomplete arcs.

For me, it almost feels like the character is never at peace until the book is finished. Stuck in a bad state of mind, or believing some lie, and the only way I can help them out is to write and finish Their arc and the story. XD

@devastate-lasting

Your webnovel sounds really cool! I’d love to check read it! Do you mind if I check it out?

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting

@merieshenanigans I use a platform called Webnovel XD Also known as QiDian International.

@kathleenramm
                      Sure thing! Here’s the link!

https://www.webnovel.com/book/yanhua_16433603005917105

Merie Shen
                      @merieshenanigans
                        • Total Posts: 38

@kathleenramm Yes, something like that! For me, it’s because I feel like I want to complete that arc with them. Learn that lesson and get rid of that lie with them!

@devastate-lasting
                        I read the story, and it’s beautiful! Your writing is amazing!

~ always be a happy camper ~

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting

@merieshenanigans Ah thank you!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >