What made you start writing stories? How old were you when you started?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What made you start writing stories? How old were you when you started?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What made you start writing stories? How old were you when you started?

I started writing when I was either seven or eight years old when I was inspired by a story I made up while playing the board game ‘Life’.

I had my little family in the game and I named the only child Beatrice. Once I named her, a story started to form in my head.  And I started asking myself,

“What if Beatrice’s parents went missing?”

“What would she do? How would she find them?”

Then the story took off from there. Since I learned how to type at an early age, I borrowed my sister’s old laptop and started writing.

So what made you start writing? How old were you?

Joy
      @dekreel
        • Total Posts: 2304

I’ve been making stories pretty much my entire life. Although growing up, most of them were in the form of stick figure scribbles in notebooks. I think the first time I considered trying out story-telling in the form of the written word was shortly after I turned thirteen. I attempted a children’s book series about a girl named Julia and her friends Jason and Victor. It ended up being a weird soupy mix of Svenson’s Happy Hollister series, American Girl books and the adventures I drew with my stick figures. It was kinda bad. XP But I still enjoy and appreciate the art of writing (and drawing) to this day. 🙂

You can pronounce it however you want.

Riah Black
        @morwen
          • Total Posts: 31

I started writing when I was six, so I beat you both there =P

However, I took a really long break for some reason and I only started again when I was ten. In the meantime I made picture stories, but I assume we’re referring to word-writing here. That’s when I started an actual novel and not just a story. Realizing that it was a boring Narnia rip-off, I abandoned it when I turned thirteen and turned towards other more intriguing topics.

I think what inspired me to write was simply the love of reading. It was (and still is!) my one joy to curl up in a quiet nook and get lost in another world when I got tired of the real one. I enjoyed seeing through a character’s eyes and learning alongside them, triumphing in their victories and weeping for their pain.

So yeah.

Utúlië-n äure - auta í lomë

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
          @william-starkey
            • Total Posts: 634

@kathleenramm I was somewhere around ten or eleven, I think.

I won’t tell exactly what started me writing because now my motives have changed; the initial thing hasn’t, but the motives have. Though I will say I enjoyed the intrigue of Tolkien, specifically those in his ‘Unfinished Tales’. Mind you, I hadn’t even read the book then, but it intrigued me all the more because.

I also new I wanted to read more stories like N.D. Wilson’s 100 Cupboards series (which was my favourite set of books at the time…it’s still high up there). Though this didn’t exactly fuel my desire to write. I wanted to create stories, legends, myths like Tolkien did. Though mine were to be quite different indeed.

Just a quick question: when do we hear back on the writing/poetry intern results?

Linyang Zhang
            @devastate-lasting
              • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I remember quite vividly as a kid saying, “I don’t think I’d like to write stories. I think I’ll just read them.”

Welp, numerous years and ten manuscripts later, here I am.

I first started writing for school, I suppose. Around eight or nine I began creating a world in my head, and after I wrote that story for school, I was like, “Welp, might as well start getting this story down.” That was when I was twelve, I think.

Um, yeah. Also, my sister wrote a kid’s book when she was seven. So that might have rubbed off on me as well.

Lately, it's been on my brain
              Would you mind letting me know
              If hours don't turn into days

Kathleen
              @kathleenramm

@dekreel

I mean, is it possible to write a good first novel? XD

I love drawing as well! Do you ever draw illustrations for your novels?

@morwen

Wow! You were six! I don’t even feel bad that you beat me. XD

Have you loved reading ever since you’ve learned? Or did it take you a while to start enjoying it?

Because although I love reading now, I used to hate it when I was younger. Probably because I didn’t like all the dumbed-down kid’s books that were at my reading level. But when I was ten and I was able to read better books, I was hooked.

@leon-fleming

What motivates you to write now, is a lot like what motivates me to write today. Create new worlds, characters, and stories. And possibly fill libraries with more books that I would like to read and love. (It’s getting pretty hard these days to find them.)

Since the intern sign up closed last week, it will be announced sometime this week. 🙂

@devastate-lasting

My sister’s love for writing definitely rubbed off on me as well. So much so that I don’t know if I would even have started writing if my sister wasn’t an avid writer herself. I loved, (and still love) reading her stories, (and fanfics XD). So although I didn’t know it was the reason at the time, she definitely inspired me to create stories.

Riah Black
                @morwen

@kathleenramm

Oh no, I’ve always loved reading :)) Even before I could read, I would ask my parents to read to me and tell me stories all the time.

Joy
                  @dekreel
                    • Total Posts: 2304

@kathleenramm  I mean you have a point. XD But at least I had fun.

Maybe I would if I even had novels. But I don’t. Art is my main thing right now. *shrug* Most of the writing I do nowadays is blogging, but I have done a little bit of fiction writing before and it is fun. It’s just not my go-to activity right now. 🙂

You can pronounce it however you want.

Hobbitchild
                    @hobbitchild
                      • Total Posts: 32

@kathleenramm @dekreeel @morwen

I think I started writing when I was three or four, before I could really put the words down myself. 🙂 I dictated to my mom.

Kathleen
                      @kathleenramm

@hobbitchild

Wow! You definitely take the crown as the person that started writing the earliest!

What were some of the stories your mom dictated about?

Hobbitchild
                        @hobbitchild
                          • Total Posts: 32

@kathleenramm

“Bob the Baby was walking along. Then, he jumped on somebody’s head.” Bob the Baby was a character I made up.

I have a book that I filed with the others that goes like this:

(Title) Who ate the grapes?

One day there was a girl who saw grapes.

She ate the grapes.

And she walked away from the grapes.

And she sat on the grass.

Then she saw a mountain.

Then she saw a butterfly.

Then she went home.

Riveting, right? XD

Kathleen
                          @kathleenramm

@hobbitchild

This captivating story by your 3 year old self has got me hooked! I have so many questions…

WHO exactly is this girl?

WHAT kind of grapes did the girl eat? Green? Purple? Did it have seeds, or was it seedless?

WHEN did this all take place?

WHERE was she when she ate the grapes? Where did she go when walked away from the grapes?

And most importantly… WHY did the girl eat the grapes?

This 40 word story is truly a work of art if you tell me. 😉

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice
                              • Total Posts: 3365

I can’t believe I missed this thread! I’m going to jump in now.

I’ve been making up stories ever since I was really small! Three or four I’d say. My mum used to write them down for me and I’d illustrate 🙂

But I couldn’t write or read well until I was about twelve, so that’s when I first started writing. My very first stories were fanfictions of the series Warriors and they were cringey as heck. 😛 I wrote my first complete novel when I was thirteen and it was about talking otters and to this day I’m actually really impressed by it. For a thirteen year old kid who couldn’t spell and didn’t know anything about grammar, I did real good. In fact, the plot is almost beat for beat, action for action the same as my very first serious novel, that I wrote when I was seventeen. I only dropped the otters.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Riah Black
                              @morwen

Ok, you guys definitely beat me on the writing age XD

RainyEmily
                                @millennium
                                  • Total Posts: 59

think I stared writing when I was 8ish? I had little notebooks I would write stories in. They were always fantasy, they never got past two pages, and those two pages were always the full descriptions of the characters. 😆

I was a very descriptive person at 8 I guess.

I started writing for real when I was 11 because my older friend wrote and published a book. And I thought, if he can, I can! Thus here I am like three years later trying to write the same book. 😂

I think I’m getting somewhere. Yay!

A wolf is a wolf,
                                  even in a cage,
                                  even dressed in silk.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >