What Kind of Writing do You Excel at?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions What Kind of Writing do You Excel at?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Power
    @power
      • Total Posts: 292

So what kind of writing do you excel at? (Assuming, and I assume it is safe to assume, that you are indeed a writer and not a brilliant brontosaurus who has infiltrated KP in hopes that you come across some spinach coupons.) Perhaps you have problems writing a novel, spending more time hitting the keyboard with your head than with your fingers, but have you ever tried writing an essay on some random topic? A bogus ad for half price cheese whiz as long as you wear a shirt that says “Eat less lasagna!”?? Or better yet, a short skit on all the different cliches that are in fantasy??? Maybe you are good at writing papers for your college classes or on the short but rather interesting/gruesome history of the far off land of Gulgggy. Are you a poet or research analyst?

So now that I have finished my rant, (or perhaps not 😜) I will restate my question. What kind of writing do you excel at?

You will love what you spend time with.

E. K. Seaver
      @e-k-seaver
        • Total Posts: 344

Generally, the kind of writing I’m best at is the one where you open the computer and put words onto a blank google doc. However, of course, I’m also open to the kind involving finding secret journals I misplaced and documenting the darkest of human emotions.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
        ekseaver.wordpress.com

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@power Bold of you to assume that I can’t both be a writer and a brontosaurus.

As for what I excel at, I can’t exactly tell you. The way your question is phrased raises a lot of questions in me. Why, what kind of writing do you excel at?

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Power
          @power

@e-k-seaver

I sit correct. So to clarify my question that apparently questioned the wrong thing, I will rephrase my question. “What topics and in what forms of writing show your skills at their greatest advantage.” Hopefully now my question questions the right thing. Any questions?

Power
            @power

@devastate-lasting

For example, I like (I will not say that I excel) to written poems (as long as I have a decent topic), humorous banter (Never would have guess this one I’m sure) and random little stories that are based off of sayings (I mean really, who was Life anyways, and why does it give people lemons?). I tend to write good papers about stories that I have read and excel at writing the first chapter of random stories that pop into my head. (Which can be annoying because I can’t seem to write the beginning of stories I have already thought out.)

p.s. Should I rephrase the question again to ask what people like writing instead of excel at writing?

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting
                • Total Posts: 1700

@power That makes a tad more sense… No need to rephrase it again, people reading this thread will understand.

I suppose I am best at writing emotional snippets, usually quite sad and dreamlike. Not sure, though. Not many people have read them.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                Would you mind letting me know
                If hours don't turn into days

Kathleen
                @kathleenramm
                  • Total Posts: 635

@power

Hhhmmm… Good question. I think my writing excels most when I’m working with my 3 siblings.

It kinda goes like someone has a spark of an idea, someone adds fuel to it, and then another waves the flame into a blaze.

Well, on good days that is. Most of the time we get side tracked and end up having an hour long conversation about how Newly Born Bananas is a brilliant investment company name lol.

Does that count as an answer? It isn’t really a type of writing, but errr… I don’t think I have a solid answer for that. ha.

Also, off topic but, does anyone happen to have any spinach coupons?

Elishavet Pidyon
                  @elishavet-pidyon
                    • Total Posts: 1013

Spinach coupons? Sorry, I’m all out, some giant orange lizard stole them all.

I do well on my college papers, have helped write a longish skit/short play, write poetry reasonably often, short stories less often, and ramble on in a most dignified manner over the history of the Brother-nation’s music.

I too create stories and worlds with little effort, but while I love to write the stories to go along with them, I struggle to get them down.

And oh, excuse me, but there is a crowd of knights beating down my drawbridge.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Scoutillus Finch
                    @scoutfinch180
                      • Total Posts: 413

@elishavet-pidyon

I typically struggle to get my worlds down on paper, they mostly float ambiguously in my head.

Have you considered hiring a dragon to take care of your knight problem? It doesn’t have to be a ferocious beast, it could just look really intimidating but have a weakness for muffins.

ANYWAY…

I think my strong suit is emotion. as in, I can write a scenes with lots of characterization and full of emotion, but I kinda fall flat at plots. I really love short stories and flash fiction writing, as well as poetry when I’m in the mood.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Elishavet Pidyon
                      @elishavet-pidyon
                        • Total Posts: 1013

@scoutfinch180

Or spinach!? You might have just saved my rapidly crumbling castle.

Ah, emotion. I don’t know if I write it well, but I do love to sort out highly emotional scenes from a character other than the POV, so I write them a lot in my head. Then they usually become convoluted as I try to write them down and I end up with a REALLY weird scene. -_-

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h
                          • Total Posts: 3875

@Power

I write fanfiction, mostly. I’m not the best with original plots, but I make original characters and sidestory fanfics to go with them like crazy. My brother is better at creating villain groups, cool weapons, and that sort of thing than I am. But I like writing little picture books (5 published already), and I’ve done a few essays.

Also, you don’t have the problem of playing matchmaker with your characters, do you? I’m lost count of how many official fandom characters get paired off with OCs in my own stories.

By the way, I am not a brontosaurus, but I do know a few velociraptors I could hook you up with.

@Elishavet-pidyon
                          I know right? When I try to write or tell the emotional scene that’s really good in my head, it ends up being really awkward….and then we get the character called out by her sister for liking two guys (who happen to be brothers who hate each other)….”Just pick one already, Feather!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >