What is the first sentence (or first three sentences) of your current WIP?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What is the first sentence (or first three sentences) of your current WIP?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

@devastate-lasting

Thanks, Linyang!

E. K. Seaver
      @e-k-seaver
        • Total Posts: 344

The Reflections:

I flip my book upside down on the kitchen table. The book, A History Of the Alliance of Leviathan, fails to hold much use but that of a procrastinating tactic. Still, if Lilli returns from doing laundry in the basement to find me on the same page as I was last time, she’ll kill me.

Mine’s… kinda boring, to be honest. But it’s supposed to start with the protagonist in a normal situation.

Here’s another, from Wings:

I always hated the brawls. That was probably the worst part of being in the asylum. The fights, the screaming, the wings flailing and convulsing.

And finally, from The House That Didn’t End. (which will probably change a bit in the edits)

“Stairs, stairs, stairs.” The girl ran her finger across the edge of the map before looking up and sighing. “Are you going to help me or not, Joshua?”

“It’s Jackson.” The boy shook his head. “And I’m trying to help. I’m thinking.”

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
        ekseaver.wordpress.com

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@e-k-seaver Ooh, nice! The first one is quite funny, to me, at least. The second one…wings? I want to know more about the wings! And I remember reading the last one on your blog!

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

E. K. Seaver
          @e-k-seaver

@devastate-lasting it it’s supposed to be humorous to a degree; the tone of the book starts out as humorous and naive and ends with the main character having learned a lot about the world and being kind of depressed. The second book she’s really depressed in and has to learn to deal with her depression, and then the third book she manages to find hope within her depression. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Wings… is also about a character that struggles with depression. 😂 I’m pretty good at the whole “write what you know.” Basically it’s a bunch of almost superhuman type of experiments escaping their facility and being chased by their former captors and the FBI and a bunch of other things happened that’s kind of hard to explain. I’m actually going to have a synopsis and announcement about it on my blog Tuesday. My main character for that one is probably the hardest I’ve written so far because she’s incredibly quiet and submissive, and submissive is just… Not me. XD I find writing her bully character a lot easier which is not a good thing.

Yup! It’s kind of funny, because that story short started with a silly short story prompt contest some of my friends and I were doing. that prompt actually came from a guy I’m not really friends with anymore, but I really liked how it turned out and when I stumbled on it again a couple weeks ago I decided that it was probably something that I could expand and make into a  real story

ekseaver.wordpress.com

Gracie J.
            @gracie-j
              • Total Posts: 1789

@kathleenramm Ooh…I’m intrigued! Love this topic, by the way!

@devastate-lasting
              @abigail-m @joy-caroline @seekjustice @am-i-missing-some-one? Y’all’s first (however many) sentences are fantastic!

@e-k-seaver
              *clasps hands and squeals in delight* Ah! I haven’t read the first part of Wings! This is amazing! I love it already!!!!

So, haha. My first three sentences? Wow. Of all things.

I’ll bestow them upon ye, my fellow KeePers, but beware. It’s suuuuper boring.

A swift flew by, carried through the air on a stiff spring breeze, landing gracefully in her empty nest. She ducked her brown head, tucking a stray piece of straw into the side of her home, weaving it through sticks and grass, securing it with her saliva. Her job done, she settled in, seeming to test the nest’s stability, poked at it several times with her little beak, then rustled her feathers as she flew off to collect more for her sturdy little house.

Like, I’m snoring already. XD I’m not really relying on a hook in my prologue (since, you know, the first chapter is where it all kicks in and it’s the third in a series, so hopefully you’re already hooked), but the first few sentences of Chapter 1 are pretty good, I think.

“Not there, Daisy,” a voice whispered to me as my eyes lighted upon the man in the corner. I took in a deep breath, stilled the tremble that coursed through my fingers, flexing them and releasing the holey rag balled up in my fist. Then where, Father?

I really need to do better on my first-sentence hooks!

So, the first *four* sentences of Tell Me No Lies are actually fairly captivating. Y’all let me know what you think…

The light of the full moon streamed down from the cloudless night sky, illuminating the streets of New York City with sparkles of starlight. All was silent except for the pounding of footsteps just a few feet ahead of me. I knew the figure well, and it wasn’t the first time he had left his house at such a late time of night. Yet this time, it would be his last.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12
                • Total Posts: 6645

Aggggh so many amazing lines! Umm…imma give 2 because I have a prologue and a chapter 1.

Death has always been a part of me. I didn’t ask for it, quite the opposite actually. I begged for my destiny to be taken from me, but my cries always fell on deaf ears. And now I find myself trapped within my destiny’s grip.

(4 sentences ik lol.)

Never make a deal with death. 

I run my fingers over the intricate design burnt into my flesh. The twists and turns of delicate but painful work that circles from my wrist and creeps up to my elbow. 

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

E. K. Seaver
                @e-k-seaver

I had a beautifully elaborate response planned out to both @godlyfantasy12 and @gracie-j but then my internet decided to go out right as I was sending them so I’m just going to do summaries.

1. Grace— wings should be ready for betas sometime later this year.

2. Grace— there’s a popular YA novel called One of us is lying and idk if that would mess up your title on Amazon or something because of the name similarities

3. GF12, 10/10 would keep reading from those first lines.

ekseaver.wordpress.com

Gracie J.
                  @gracie-j

@e-k-seaver YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! (I dunno if you can tell, but that was me being super excited. XD)

And, yeah, I think it’ll be fine. I haven’t had any issues with having one of the multiple books named Held Captive, plus TMNL is his-fic rather than YA, so there shouldn’t be any confusing.

BTW, when your wifi goes out, just click the back button. All your text should still be there, you’ll just have to resubmit it. Should work.

@godlyfantasy12
                    I totally agree with Em.

ella
                    @nova21
                      • Total Posts: 604

@everyone

Y’ALL.  This is AMAZING!!!  I ❤❤❤ everyone’s SOOO much!!!!

Ok, I have 2 WIPs, so here’s the first one, As Dark As Mist and Shadow:

Scars tell stories.  They tell of our success and failures, of our wins and losses.  Some people let their scars define them, but some define their scars.  I survived, mine say.  I can’t be beaten.

(sry, 5 sentences 😬 but they’re short ones, haha)

And for Lioness:

Like a lioness from the one of the old stories, my padded feet make no sound. I move swiftly and silently down the aisle between bunks. Soft breathing comes from my left and right. 

For this one, y’all just have to keep reading because it’s an intense scene… (i’ll be posting the 1st chapter on here soon, if i’m brave enough…)

So ya, super excited to see everyone else’s!!!!!!!!!! 😃❤😍

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                      -gladiator, 2000

Gracie J.
                      @gracie-j

@nova21 I CAN’T WAIT! Those are both SO BEAUTIFUL! I cannot wait to read these stories!!!!!!!! Amazing, girl!

ella
                        @nova21
                          • Total Posts: 604

@gracie-j

Aww, girl, you’re so encouraging!!! ❤️ Thank you, I’ll tag you when I post it!!!

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                          -gladiator, 2000

Abigail.M.
                          @abigail-m
                            • Total Posts: 1242

@e-k-seaver

Those are very good! The first one especially made me laugh:)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abigail.M..
                            Abigail.M.
                            @abigail-m

@gracie-j

Incredible! I loved all those beginnings and the first one wasn’t boring at all:)

Abigail.M.
                              @abigail-m

@godlyfantasy12

Wow! That beginning raises so many questions! Amazing:)

Abigail.M.
                                @abigail-m

@nova21

I absolutely love those:D The first one was especially good and that’d be so awesome if you shared the first chapter! 😀 I’d love to read it!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >