What is a popular book that you dislike? Why do you dislike it?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What is a popular book that you dislike? Why do you dislike it?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Scoutillus Finch
    @scoutfinch180
      • Total Posts: 413

@kathleenramm

Thanks!

@joy-caroline

Thanks!

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
      @william-starkey
        • Total Posts: 634

@kathleenramm The Maze Runner series.

ella
        @nova21
          • Total Posts: 604

@william-starkey

Take that back. (please😁)  What are you talking about??  Those books are so good!!!!!

what we do in life echoes in eternity
          -gladiator, 2000

Scoutillus Finch
          @scoutfinch180
            • Total Posts: 413

What is the Maze Runner Series? Why do you dislike them?

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Kathleen
            @kathleenramm
              • Total Posts: 635

@william-starkey

I haven’t read The Maze Runner series, but I have heard long rants from my siblings about the trilogy. XD They are quite notorious in my household.

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12
                • Total Posts: 6645

Ooooh boy. Here we go. So, this probs isn’t a well known series or anything, but prepare yourselves for a SMACKDOWN OF THIS SERIES BECAUSE UUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!

*Takes deep calming breaths.* Okay….relax.

So, Disney Hyperion made a book series, and the first book was called The Neptune Project. I read it and it was pretty good. I mean, not like “Oh man this is the best book ever!” But it was okay. So I got my older sis to read it too, and then I got the second book.

Second book was great, but also one of those sad books where ppl are mistreated. Anyway….

In this second book, they introduce (what I believe to be a kid or tween) named Mako. Now I have a soft spot for little boys, so this guy STOLE MY HEART!! He instantly became my favorite character, and I ADORED HIM! He was bullied and….ugh he was just so cute and it was so heartbreaking.

So then, after becoming so attached to this character, guess what.

THEY KILLED HIM! IN THE SAME BOOK! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! *SCREAMZ INTO PILLOW XD*

Y’all, after that, I got rid of the two books I had, and was done with that series. To this day I have not read another book in that series. (Also my older sis read the second one and was also sad about Mako)

Needless to say, I cried. I was lying on the couch, (with a sprained ankle mind u!) and I cried.

So. Ahem. There u have it. Again, not a famous book series but wanted to share my rant. Thank u for sticking with me XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

Elizabeth
                @lewilliams
                  • Total Posts: 252

@kathleenramm This is such an interesting topic! I’ve been wracking my brain for a good, concrete answer, but instead all I can come up with is this:

*vague gesture at most of the popular YA books I’ve read*

*vague gesture at almost every single book I’ve read in my English classes*

To elaborate on the second one, I especially disliked the books I read in my 20th century American Lit class, simply because I found the headspace they put me in to be intensely sad. That was perhaps the point of the class, but nevertheless, I did not enjoy it. *shrug* I am not nearly as much as a “literature” person as I once thought.

@joy-caroline I’ve had much the same experience with Jane Austen; I’ve tried desperately to enjoy her work, but have yet to do so.

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Libby
                  @libby
                    • Total Posts: 59

Well, I hate to say this but I honestly didn’t like Animal Farm that much.  The ending… :'( Excellently written, super relevant, some people would say brilliant, and I wouldn’t disagree with all that.  But I like books that have at least semi-satisfying endings, even if they’re sad.  Animal Farm was depressing and left me with this feeling of just… ugh.  I’m sorry to all you who love it and want me to love it too, it’s just not my cup of tea.

@kathleenramm
                    I think you should still go ahead and give Pride and Prejudice a try : ) I really enjoyed it, I think I’ve read it once every year since I was eleven.  It’s one of my favorite books, but but that’s just my opinion xD It’s certainly one I hear a lot of different opinions on.

@godlyfantasy12
                    Aw, that’s always so sad.  It’s often a hit or miss when authors kill off a character you get attached to :'(

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Reagan Ramm
                    @reaganramm
                      • Total Posts: 110

Romeo and Juliet.

It’s considered one of the greatest love stories of all time but it’s not a love story, and it’s not great.

It’s really just a story about the two most unbelievably selfish and stupid teenagers of all time. It’s also just cheesy.

But I guess one could say it does a decent job of being a cautionary tale of what can happen to you if you are unbelievably selfish and stupid at the same time. So you can be one or the other, but definitely not both at the same time.

My Music:
                      AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
                      OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Kathleen
                      @kathleenramm
                        • Total Posts: 635

@libby

It’s interesting to here a new opinion on Animal Farm. Though I haven’t read it myself, I mostly only hear positive things about it. But yeah, there’re definitely books that I can appreciate for what they are but still not enjoy.

What’s your favorite things about Pride and Prejudice?

ella
                        @nova21

@reaganramm

I agree with you WHOLEHEARTEDLY!!!!!!!  I read that in my literature class this year and it may be one of the worst things I’ve read… 😄  We also had to read it twice–my teacher read it out loud first, then the class took turns reading out loud.  Why?  I have no idea.

So yeah, glad I’m not the only one.  I just don’t understand why it has so much hype… ???

-gladiator, 2000

EpicAddie2
                          @epicaddie2
                            • Total Posts: 794

As soon as I saw this thread I thought “Oh, definitely the Maze Runner series” and so I’m very happy that several of you have mentioned it on here XD I actually really enjoyed the first book, but within the first few chapters of the second book, I was very very disappointed. I felt like the series took such a dramatic change and books two and three had a totally different feel than book one. Plus, I didn’t particularly like Thomas. He was kinda just meh. I tried really hard to finish the series but I eventually gave up in the last few chapters of book three. I just couldn’t do it. XD However, I’ve never really been able to get into dystopian novels, so that could be a big reason why I dislike them so much.

@reaganramm
                            I’m so glad you brought up Romeo and Juliet because you are 100% right XD I had to read it a couple of years ago for school and I absolutely hated it. The romance just isn’t well done, not to mention the fact that they’re dumb, immature teenagers. I found it really hard to take anything seriously because of their young age.

INFJ ~ 4w5
                            aldarley.wordpress.com

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice
                              • Total Posts: 3365

@kathleenramm

Everyone has already said my absolute least favourite book, Pride and Prejudice, so I’ll mention another very popular book I really, really hated.  I could not bear Oliver Twist, it was awful, it was boring, it was convoluted, Oliver wasn’t even a person, more of a plot point. This was highly disappointing because I love Dickens (he also wrote my favourite book of all time, A Tale of Two Cities) and everyone seems to love Oliver (or maybe they just love the musical, I don’t know).

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Libby
                              @libby
                                • Total Posts: 59

@seekjustice I’m over here bemoaning the fact that you just dismissed Oliver Twist and Pride and Prejudice in the same paragraph, haha.  It’s so interesting to hear everyone else’s opinions, but it makes me sad when people don’t like the books I love ; )

@kathleenramm
                                Perhaps one of the things I love most about Pride and Prejudice is how Austen threads through her writing deep insights into human nature.  While it’s certainly a witty book in a charming way (another reason why I love it), the characters and their dilemmas explore the motivations and values that often lie behind the choices people make every day.  What does virtue look like practically?  What lies behind our prejudices?  Austen’s characters in Pride and Prejudice make mistakes, but they are mostly the result of faulty thinking that humans fall into on a daily basis.  And this subtlety only adds to depth of her stories. On that score, it’s a truly thought-provoking read.  Every time I read it, it’s like there’s something new I’m gleaning.  Yet, I think I’m also just partial to it because I grew up on it and I’ve come to know and love the characters so well : ) I love Austen’s style and I find her books thoroughly delightful, satisfying, and insightful.

That’s my spiel ^-^ Thanks for bearing with me.  Asking me to talk about my favorite books makes me very happy, but it also means I’ll write more than I probably should.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Libby.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

ella
                                @nova21

@libby

I FEEL YOU!!!  I LOVE P&P  soooo much!!!  I’ve never read Oliver Twist, but I probably should… 😉

(btw, I love your pfp—you remind me of my cousin, Pauline haha 😊)

-gladiator, 2000

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >