What is a good character ☠️ Death ☠️

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters What is a good character ☠️ Death ☠️

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

@otherworldly-historian

yea its not ur average “death” she turns to “shadow” and it’s done by a shadow creature so the character sorta assume she’s dead as does everyone else, and her “crystal” goes grey. Which means she’s dead….

but in the second series it begins sparking…. And two of the MCs suddenly latch onto the hope that, perhaps, she could be alive.

(but it’s a…bit of a thing to get into all the details)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Otherworldly Historian
      @otherworldlyhistorian
        • Total Posts: 219

@godlyfantasy12

???

Oh no. A sequel series that revives a character and builds a plot all around them. 🙂 (I am not sure if this is you (mostly just an assumption). I have seen this a bit (and seen it done badly). No lie I could go on and on about sequel series (maybe a thread on this could be good) (my biggest gripe is that they sometimes fail to actually continue the series (think star wars sequels). (there are some that do it well (think all but the last series of the 39 clues).)

Anyway, I would actually have to know how she survives to give the best judgment but I would say that you should probably use the epilogue method (think (I have never seen one) marvel end-credits seen (but revealing something like the crystal flickering) and some foreshadowing (maybe there is a legend of an ancient hero who survived a similar encounter that is mentioned offhandedly (you know a good old Chekhov’s gun)).

Through darkness,
        light shines brightest

GodlyFantasy12
        @godlyfantasy12

@otherworldly-historian yea I understand, I’ve already kinda got it worked out. I don’t know if an epilogue would work due to the sequel series taking place 2 years or so after the events of the first book.

but I’m not super worried about it. God will help and lead me (I also have this amazing forum, an awesome mother who is ma editor lol, and a best friend who I talk to about ma series who helps me out 😊)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
          #ProtectMarcel
          #ProtectSeb

MineralizedWritings
          @mineralizedwritings
            • Total Posts: 2803

@godlyfantasy12

😊 It sounds good to me, I love your whole chrystal thing and I’m curious what happens with Corvina!!

へびは かっこいい です!

Otherworldly Historian
            @otherworldlyhistorian

@godlyfantasy12

God will help and lead me

Agree. This is the best philosophy.

I will say that since you already are planning a sequel series I would use foreshadowing in the first one. I have found this helps the ones I have seen be good. This is true with all series in my opinion.

Through darkness,
              light shines brightest

Karissa Chmil
              @karissa-chmil
                • Total Posts: 96

Not gonna lie, I read the title of this forum as “What is a good character? Death!” and had to take multiple double-takes. XD

But yes, great thoughts, everyone. XD I’m just going to lurk in the shadows and watch, since everyone’s said what I’d say (especially @gwyndalf-the-wise – lovely list, lovely list).

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Felicity
                @felicity
                  • Total Posts: 811

@otherworldlyhistorian

Ok I see what you mean. So what do you think about this:

In my WIP the MC’s friend Jon falls off a cliff and everyone thinks he’s dead, because there’s no way he could’ve survived that fall. Well it just so happens that he didn’t fall all the way down, and he landed in snow, so he’s not dead, although he’s hurt pretty bad (broken ribs, some slight brain damage from where he hit his head.)

I actually wrote the next chapter from his pov, so the reader knows he didn’t die, but the MC doesn’t. Which leads to a reunion later on when she realizes he didn’t die after all.

He must increase, but I must decrease.

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12

@felicity I think ur fine and that doesn’t really even count as a character “death” except for in the one part where ur readers think it is just like the MC. It’s more like a “Whiff of Death” (something I learned about in save the cat)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

Otherworldly Historian
                    @otherworldlyhistorian

@felicity

I agree with @godlyfantasy12 that your thing is good. In fact I would say it is great. I enjoy those types of moments.

Through darkness,
                      light shines brightest

Felicity
                      @felicity
                        • Total Posts: 811

@godlyfantasy12 @otherworldlyhistorian

Ok, great! Thanks guys!

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 692

@felicity

Probably them coming back to life. That’s what happened to one of the side characters in DIOM (Dragons In Our Midst).

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >