What genre do you write in?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions What genre do you write in?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@sam-kowal Okay, let me back up. 😀  When I said Pilgrim’s Progress was the original fantasy work I didn’t necessarily mean it was the first fantasy work, since I haven’t researched the area of fantasy very extensively.  I do consider it at least one of the first fantasy works, and perhaps the first major one.

The difference between it and Beowulf I would say is that Pilgrim’s Progress is an allegory based only tentatively on figurative realities, while I believe myths like Beowulf, Gilgamesh, and the Iliad and Odyssey are quite possibly based on real events.  The Bible mentions the fact that demons had children by human women, who became giants and monsters, so the stories of the “children of the gods” such as Gilgamesh would lead back to the same origin.  Dragons had not yet gone extinct at the time those were written, so they were not considered fantastical, as they are now, but rather it would be the same as a modern author writing a story about two fighter pilots or guerrilla warfare, because it was just a way of life that you might have to fight dragons.  That is why I consider the old myths and legends not to be categorized as fantasy.  I believe them to be exaggerated facts.  I guess you could call them pre-fantasy if you like, because they are exaggerated.

Does anyone agree with me about the origin of these stories?  I’ve met a few real life people who do. 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@Rochellaine

I actually do! Some of it anyway. I don’t necessarily believe that dragons themselves were ever real, but I’ve read a lot about the possibility of dragons and dinosaurs being the same thing and over time, after dinosaurs went extinct, the stories of them getting more and more exaggerated until we have the fire-breathing mythological creatires we have now. Given what I believe about creation and the idea that dinosaurs and humans were made on the same day, instead of millions of years apart, it makes a lot of sense.

So yes, I think myths like Beowulf and George and the Dragon could come from real stories. And I don’t really know about the Iliad and Gilgsmesh, but there’s a lot of evidence to say that the legends of King Arthur often have their roots in true stories.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine

@seekjustice Cool!  🙂  Yeah, actually I interchange the words “dragon” and “dinosaur” in much the same way as you would “couch” and “sofa.”  To me they’re the same thing, so that’s actually what I meant.  The Bible mentions a fire breathing creature of the same size and physical characteristics of a dinosaur in a couple of different places, so that’s some of the basis for where I get my ideas, besides the extra-biblical historical/myth stories.  Another thing is the fact that a 17th century English dictionary lists dragons as “now rare!” 😀  (They didn’t have the word “dinosaur” back then, so what else would they call them?)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Ethryndal
          @ethryndal
            • Total Posts: 1013

@Rochellaine

The Bible mentions the fact that demons had children by human women, who became giants and monsters

Whoa, wait, where was that?

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@ethryndal

I think she’s referring to the Nephilim which are mentioned in Genesis 6:1-6.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@rochellaine

(*whispers* we don’t use the word sofa in Australia)

But yeah I understand what you’re saying. I just try to say dinosaurs otherwise people look at you rather oddly.

The KJV bible mentions dragons in several places! And the Behemoth is usually said to be a hippo/elephant but I definitely think its a dinosaur.

Rochellaine
                @rochellaine

@ethryndal Yes, what @seekjustice said.  They were one of the reasons God chose to Flood the earth.  Children of demons and humans are evil, obviously. 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@seekjustice Oh yes!  I always find it funny that people try to say the behemoth is an elephant or hippo, because I have seen several elephants and hippos, and read about them extensively, but never have I heard of one with a tail as big as a tree. 😀

Wait…you don’t use the word “sofa?”  Haha. 🙂  Just “couch,” huh?  At least you knew what it meant…or did you have to look it up?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice

@Rochellaine

A very small and weedy sapling perhaps?

I’ve read enough American books to know what it means, but we usually use the word lounge and couch sometimes.

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@seekjustice Haha!  But that wouldn’t really make sense with the rest of the description, since it’s all about how awesome and terrifying the beast is. 😀  So why use a sapling?  If his tail isn’t impressive, just don’t mention it!

Ah, okay.  Notes taken: An Australian may understand the word “sofa” but will never use it.

You may note yourself, that Americans use the word “lounge” to indicate a room which contains couches, not to indicate a specific piece of furniture.  Though, like you with sofas, we might understand the reference. 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@Rochellaine

That’s true, it just serves to make the behemoth a laughingstock.

We brilliant people have something referred to as a lounge which is usually approproately placed in the loungeroom. 😃

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >