What do you look forward to most when you get to write?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What do you look forward to most when you get to write?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What do you look forward to most when you get to write?

For me, it is the unpredictable aspect of writing. Writing never goes the way I plan or expect which always makes it so exciting.

I may not write a ton (or any words for that matter) each time I go to write, but as long as I give myself enough time to sit, think, and daydream, I always learn something new about either a character, the world, or the plot.

I don’t know, there’s something magical about staring at a screen filled with semi-coherent story ideas for an hour straight. Eventually, an epiphany will hit you smack in the head just before you lose all hope in making any progress in your story that day.

I love it when that happens.

I also love it when you get into a flow when writing and you write an entire scene that you had no idea would happen in the story before or even as you wrote it. Or when a character says the perfect line of dialogue that you didn’t plan on, or you have a revelation about a character’s psychology or a never-done-before idea about the world comes while writing a line of dialogue or while describing a room’s décor.

It’s like, yeah, a lot of the story come from your pondering for hours about plot points and characters, but there’s also a little magic that comes into play when you start writing words from inside the characters head when ideas you had no clue about the form on the paper without you even trying.

And it is that part, the surprise factor to writing, that gets me excited to write. To see what cool new things my characters come up with. Kinda like we’re writing the story together in a way.

Anyway, I could talk about this forever, but what about you? What makes you most excited to write each day?

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I also love the unpredictability. I love opening up a notebook with some semi-coherent thoughts and wondering, “Let’s see where we go today!”

But also, writing with plot is actually really fun, soothing, and relaxing. It’s great to have a roadmap, and sure, some things will be unexpected. Especially when I’m plotting. “I didn’t know this guy would do this!” But now they have.

But also, seeing a completed project. Like if I’ve been working on a thing for a few months, just typing out the last few sentences for the ending, trying to get everything all balanced out perfectly in the last scene…I get super emotional when I’m trying to do that. Sometimes I cry. But like finishing a thing that’s actually coherent and beautiful is very important to me. And the feeling is kind of like something died inside of you but at the same time something completed you like a puzzle piece, you know? Like you’ll never be able to work on the story or dream of the story in the same way that you did before you wrote it; heck, after you edit it and things you’ll probably never think of it again, so that part of you is dead. But at the same time, you wrote that story that you were meant to write, and now it is a part of you…

I dunno if I make any sense. But that is all something I look forward to when I write.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1379

@kathleenramm

The comfort it brings me. I relate to my characters more and more because they endure such pain and trauma, and they trust God through it all, but at the same time do have doubts. They really encourage me and bring me comfort in my own hardship.

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j
            • Total Posts: 1789

@kathleenramm Dang. This is a really deep question, actually. I don’t guess I’ve ever thought of it before…hmm…

Y’all have great answers, by the way. For me, what I looked forward to the most would be being there. In my story. In my world. With my characters. With words. It’s like home to me, and just like when you come home from a long trip, you’re not ecstatic about anything in particular–you’re just at peace. You feel like a weight has been lifted and you can rest. You breathe in the air, kiss the wall (that’s probably just me XD), crash onto your bed, use your own clean and private bathroom.

That’s how it is with writing. Yes, I can get a little too excited sometimes, anticipating a fun scene or fangirling over a character (which I totally do), but most of the time it’s just that feeling of comfort, contentment, and serenity. Like coming home.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Abigail.M.
            @abigail-m
              • Total Posts: 1242

@Kathleenramm

What I look forward to most about writing is a lot like what @gracie-j said, the feeling of opening your world and going home with your characters for a while. It feels like a soft, clean bed when your all worn out from the day, and does it ever feel good!
              Also, most of my characters have had hard lives and have to deal with a lot of difficult situations, thence they are very relatable.
              But even in general, my characters are what I look forward to. I love them all (most of them a least) as if they were real people and in a way they really are.

I look forward to the breakthroughs. Since I am pretty terrible at brainstorming, it’s hard to piece together scenes or plots in general. But recently I’ve been making some breakthroughs and progress in my WIP that I am rather happy about:) Not that that’s all that important, but just the same, breakthroughs or the moment in the midst of the writers’ block fog when a light begins to break through the darkness, at last, *dramatic effects* that is the best feeling ever.

I look forward to writing poetry because of all the magical, flowing rhythms you find in the genre when you have a great idea. It’s my favorite choice when you have a message or story that can’t be put any other way. I look forward to writing for writing’s sake:)

Alexa Autorski
              @writerlexi1216
                • Total Posts: 1011

@kathleenramm

For me, I think what I look forward to the most about writing (and the most special part, in my opinion) is getting to immerse myself in my own world–it feels like I’m there with my characters as they go on this special journey, like I get to fight alongside them. I feel like I’m able to be there, living and breathing in that moment, and getting to see inside their heads and what they’re thinking.

Writing, for me, is the ability to dive into another world, become a wide variety of characters, and explore everything I can. I love writing mostly because it gives me the opportunity to journey into a new world and feel like I’m with the characters as they go on this epic quest 🙂

ella
                @nova21
                  • Total Posts: 604

@kathleenramm

Usually, I’m super busy with school and life, so whenever I have time, I love to just sit down and immerse myself in writing.  For me, it’s like a breath of fresh air.  I’m sooo thankful that I have writing to be an outlet, otherwise I wouldn’t be as me without it, lol!! 😆

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                  -gladiator, 2000

Kathleen
                  @kathleenramm
                    • Total Posts: 635

@devastate-lasting

Oh, that makes total sense. I’ve had those very feeling myself when finally finish a project, but I’ve never known quite the words to describe it until I read your reply. It’s almost like a closing of a very personal and meaningful chapter of a life you’ve never lived. It’s really interesting, fulfilling and even a bit said all at the same time.

@joy-caroline

I love that too. As someone who gets so attached to the characters I create, it almost feels like your going through this tough journey with your friends. It’s kinda cathartic, even though its just you writing about made-up people in fictional worlds.

@gracie-j

You put that so beautifully! Somehow writing makes you feel like your on a grand quest while also making you feel at home. Is there anything like it?

@abigail-m

Breakthroughs are one of the best feelings right? Like somehow my whole mess of a story and characters all come together perfectly. Man, now that you mention it, I’m in need of a breakthrough right now, haha. XD

@writerlexi1216

That is actually one of the main reasons I started writing! There’s something so magical about writing where you can be the creator of your own secret world where anything can happen. Crafting deep heartfelt stories that grow and expand to something more complex and beautiful you never imagined when you first started. Writing is really incredible.

@nova21

Yeah, the real world can get so overwhelming and loud sometimes, which makes me too so grateful for writing. Like you said, writing can be the perfect escape to a world where you can breath.

Lucy Israel
                    @lucy
                      • Total Posts: 30

What do I love? I LOVE to be with my characters again! It’s like I miss them! So I am happy when I get to be with them again.

Never Alone!

Lucy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >