What do you do when you hit a roadblock in your story?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What do you do when you hit a roadblock in your story?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What do you do when you hit a road-block in your story?

There are usually two things I do.

The first thing that helps me the most is talking about it with my siblings. Talking about it and brainstorming ideas together is probably the most helpful thing to me.

However, there are the times when either my siblings have absolutely no interest in talking about stories, or I have projects that I like to write solo without any input until it’s finished.

So in that situation, I take a step back from the project. Instead of getting caught up in the logistics of everything, or trying too hard to have everything make perfect sense, I just take a break from my story and just let my imagination go wild.

Daydreaming about a the cool and interesting possibilities that I’d love to write.

Eventually all that free dreaming breaks me free from the roadblock.

When I let go of pressure and just give myself to imagine, is when I have epiphanies that get me through the block.

So what helps you get through a block in your story that feels impossible to get over?

ella
      @nova21
        • Total Posts: 604

@kathleenramm

*apparates into the room and trips over the coffee table*

Heyo!  I know a lot of people dis on writing prompts, but when I’m in a serious pickle, I love using those for inspiration. XD  (I just used two words that I never use unless I’m online, lol!)  Usually, I just have to take a break from my current project, and after a bunch of late nights and daydreaming, I cycle back through my projects to that roadblock WIP.  It’s not a straightforward way to do it, but then again, few things I do are straightforward! XD  (And, of course, KP articles help a bunch!!!!!!!!)

*recedes into the shadows*

what we do in life echoes in eternity
        -gladiator, 2000

Elfwing
        @elfwing
          • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm

most of my projects are ones I don’t share with others, since I am rather conscientious about my work, so when I get stuck I like to brood in silence.

Either I sit and read or watch a movie, or I wander over what I just wrote before the roadblock hit. Try to figure out what I did that I don’t like.

And once I’m done brooding for a day or a week or whatever, I’ll ask my sister (at like, 11 at night when she’s pretty much asleep) what she thinks and she gives me the most honest answers because she’s pretty much sleep talking

Daydreaming is so amazing for writing! I’m glad to know someone else does it too.

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I basically procrastinate it a lot and work on something else until the impending deadline forces me to write. It’s a recurring cycle. It’s very painful.

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

Kathleen
            @kathleenramm
              • Total Posts: 635

@nova21

Who disses writing prompts? I mean everybody bases a story off of something, why not on a few sentences a stranger wrote on the internet? XD

But, yeah, like you said taking a step back a daydreaming is like the magical cure.

@elfwing

I’ve never heard of the sleep talker method, but maybe I should try it out sometime with my brothers… Either I’d get some crazy good story ideas or yelled at. XD

@devastate-lasting

The very reason I have quite a complicated relationship with deadlines. They get their job done, but are by no means are they fun.

ella
              @nova21
                • Total Posts: 604

@kathleenramm

Lol.  I don’t know why, but I’ve seen a lot of people online who say not to use writing prompts… I have no idea why, but I use them anyway because they are AMAZING! 😉

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                -gladiator, 2000

Elfwing
                @elfwing
                  • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm

yeah… as long as you get them in the middle of sleep talking

apparently people Are very honest when they sleep talk… I’d say it’s true lol

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Sami Eastwood
                  @sami-eastwood
                    • Total Posts: 12

@kathleenramm

Mostly I find when I’ve hit a roadblock it means I’m too much in my own head. So I read other stories or watch a movie. Basically, the reason I’m blocked is because the creative tank is empty, and I get my best inspiration from other creative works. Movies and other visual entertainment work best for me because I write as though my book is a movie.

“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” - Anne Shirley

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >