What Are the Cliches of Sci-Fi?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Sci-Fi What Are the Cliches of Sci-Fi?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17
      • Total Posts: 2522

Hi, all! My current WIP is a sci-fi trilogy. I’ve never written sci-fi before. What are some of the common cliches in this genre that I would want to avoid?

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
      www.jennaterese.com

Joy
      @dekreel
        • Total Posts: 2304

@jenwriter17  Others might have better answers than me but here we go…

• Aliens with weird names like Zworg or Qluzzu
        • All ugly aliens are bad
        • Sci-fi stories that are focused solely on space and/or time, and new frontiers. People have already written stories like that (Star Trek, classic Doctor Who), and by now they are cliche because of it
        • Lasers and laser guns

Bear in mind that I have mostly gotten these cliches from media, and I have virtually no experience with sci-fi literature (except Calvin & Hobbes), so I might not have been that helpful 😉

You can pronounce it however you want.

Ben Powell
        @supermonkey42
          • Total Posts: 273

@jenwriter17 Ooh, good question! Probably at least 50% of my reading and writing is sci-fi, and I have to say, there aren’t as many cliches as, say, fantasy (at least that I notice), because the whole idea of sci-fi is to come up with some crazy/unusual/futuristic/dystopian situation and use that as a major part of the story.

There remains definitely cliches, though. I agree with @dekreel, and I’ll add a couple more:

• Time travel. This is way overused, and it’s overuse is accentuated by the fact that almost everyone uses the same premise (space-time fabric, can’t see your former self, can’t change anything from the past, the future is always dystopian, etc.)
          • Dystopian futures with messed up governments. This makes for a good story, but it’s used a lot, so you have to be careful to be original.

I’ll try to think up some more. 🙂

A Kapeefer for life!
          Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Jenna Terese
          @jenwriter17
            • Total Posts: 2522

Thank you both so much! I really wanted to make sure my story was original, and not just the same ol’ sci-fi story. 😊

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
            www.jennaterese.com

Aislinn Mollisong
            @aislinn-mollisong
              • Total Posts: 445

Hey, @jenwriter17! Nice to meet you! I’m Aislinn. So, you asked about Sci-Fi cliches? Well, I don’t write Sci-Fi, but I sure have met up with some cliches.

Along with what everyone else said, (because those are the most common and also most annoying ones) here are some that I’ve noticed.

– Giant Doomsday Device/Superweapon.

– Overused X’s and Z’s. I don’t think I need to go over Jaxter Grimjinxx again.

– Generalistic, Imperial rule. Just a big, evil, faceless government that is obsessed with absolute control.

– Aliens. Yes, I know that when people think of Sci-Fi, they generally think of space stories. But they don’t have to be! Most aliens end up pretty weird, too….

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
              https://forums.theaetherli

Josiah DeGraaf
              @aratrea
                • Total Posts: 717

@mark-kamibaya had a great thread on sci-fi a while back that touched on a lot of cliches… Well-worth reading: https://kingdompen.org/forums/topic/beginners-tips-for-writing-science-fiction/

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 692

Hey, so I am actually writing a time travel sci-fi book. I’m making it so the past can be changed like in Back to the Future. Is this bad or cliché? Would any of you read it?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >