War-Torn City

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ben Powell
    @supermonkey42
      • Total Posts: 273

@dragon-snapper

So, I have an idea on the less nuclear-natural disaster side of things. What if the whole population has been lied to for years about the war. The government has trained everyone to believe that it was a war between their country and an evil outside country, but it was actually a revolt where some man or group started an uprising, revolted against the government (which was probably very fair and just), won a huge war, and established a dictatorship. Then the new dictators went about rewriting the history books to make it look like the country had always been ruled by them and that some evil outside influence had tried to destroy it.

This abandoned city of yours could have been the old government’s capital, but the new dictators forced everyone to leave and killed anyone who knew too much. Then they forbid anyone from entering it for fear that someone would learn the truth and use it against them. Maybe your characters someone make their way in, learn the truth, and restore the old, just government (or try to.)

I already have more ideas swimming around in my head, but that might be too complicated to fit in your story. 🙂

Or you could just have the city filled with evil robots or something. Or both.

Anyways, good luck on your story! I hope it works out.

A Kapeefer for life!
      Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1486

@dragon-snapper I like the plague idea! Or there could be an infestation of micro bot bugs who have infested the city and do something terrible to whoever they infect.

Anyway, I was just going to say, you changed your profile picture for the first time in forever and it completely threw me off. I did not recognize my Sam. But *phew* you are still here. XD

Sam Kowal
        @sam-kowal
          • Total Posts: 635

Most likely because of poisoning or contamination of some sort.

There would need to be constant danger of being there, which kind rules out infestations of vicious beasts or something similar where people could come back and exterminate them.

Maybe the war was so violent it drove everyone out, and the fighting was so severe it permanently poisoned the water or air, killing people who went back. It depends on what kind of city it is. If it’s in a world where nuclear bombs exist, maybe it was destroyed and is now full of radiation. Or maybe during the war, some terrible weapon was unleashed, like a sentient plague whose bacteria cells are fully intelligent, and no one knows how to get rid of it and lives in fear of it.

Probably a city of that size wouldn’t just be forgotten. There would be a lot of history and resources there people would gravitate back to, unless there was something keeping them away. And then after a really long time it might start to become forgotten.

I’m sure there are other good reasons too, those are just some things I thought of

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
          Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Aislinn Mollisong
          @aislinn-mollisong
            • Total Posts: 445

It could have been abandoned by the original population for a relatively harmless and simple reason, such as:

1. It was quickly built to house workers brought in to collect valuable resources, and when the resources ran out, the people moved on.

2. There was a natural disaster, such as a massive tornado, hurricane, or earthquake, which destroyed much of the city. The inhabitants decided it was better to move on than rebuild on unstable land.

3. A strange rabies-like disease circulated through the town, decimating the population and creating fear of infection in other cities.

(ok, that last one isn’t so harmless.)

But then, after the city is deserted, creatures move in. You can figure that out on your own, but creatures now dominate the ruins, threatening any foolish adventurer who dares defy their rule.

(Whoa, that last part sounded really cool. Where did that come from, brain?)

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
            https://forums.theaetherli

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

Thanks for the input guys! I think I figured it out. The electricity for the entire city was taken (by means which I shall not post for fear of spoilers. That’s way there’s no standing danger for my characters, like lava or smoke, or nuclear waste or… *cough* monsters and demons ( @daeus , if ever I need the randomiest idea ever, you’re the man)
              Thanks for the brainstorming! 😀

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >