Underwater Fantasy Races and Creatures!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Underwater Fantasy Races and Creatures!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Faith
    @awsumfaith
      • Total Posts: 239

Ok, so I’m wanting to add some underwater races and creatures to my WIP, and I wanna hear what your guy’s favs are!

Tags

@esther-c
      @thearcaneaxiom @kyronthearcanin @freedomwriter76 @gwyndalfthewise @felicity @lightoverdarkness6 @anyone else who wants to share!

"does anyone have any good ideas?"
      "Oh yeah, but none for this"

Folith-Feolin
      @folith-feolin
        • Total Posts: 310

@awsumfaith
        Slightly pressed for time but I’m going to throw out the deep ones. They are basically evil fish people. (I will explain more if I can or you can look them up)

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
        @kyronthearcanin
          • Total Posts: 697

@awsumfaith

Ooooh, interesting XD

I like a lot of them, so hmmm…

I mean, mermaids and mermen are kind of the first thing that come to mind, but I can’t say I’ve used them much. They kind of creep me out sometimes, lol. If anyone has seen any of that puss in boots show, you’ll understand

ANYWAY, moving on…

Krakens are really cool, those giant squid things from mythology.

Leviathans. Big sea snakes with a bunch of heads. What’s not to like? XD

Selkies, of course, have been mentioned lol.

Hippocampus. (I don’t actually know the plural… Or maybe that is the plural, idk) Half fish, half horse! Plus, you know, they’re associated with pulling Poseidon’s chariot, so that’s cool… I know we’re talking about sea creatures here, but I prefer Pegasi to Hippocampus… (wait. Pegasi… so would it be Hippocampi? I’m getting myself so confused 😅🤣)

And we can’t forget this super weird guy, the Water Leaper. From… Welsh mythology? I think? I don’t actually remember… Anyway, he’s basically a giant frog, but he has a long lizard tail and bat wings in place of his forelegs. He basically ambushes people and animals that come to close by jumping out of the water… I’d be scared XD  I’ve never personally used this one but I’ve just always thought he sounded weird, lol.

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

Esther
          @esther-c
            • Total Posts: 3202

@awsumfaith

I can’t think of any in particular right now besides those that Solfyre mentioned, but if I come up with any, I’ll let ya know!! 😀

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Faith
            @awsumfaith

@folith-feolin

Cool 👍

@kyronthearcanin

Thanks! I have mermaids already, and I agree, they can be creepy sometimes 😬 😂

@esther-c

Okey dokey 👍

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12
                • Total Posts: 6645

@awsumfaith

Ahem….

*clears throat…*

SIRENS!!!!!!!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

Faith
                @awsumfaith

@godlyfantasy12

Ooooh, wait wait wait, I’m forgetting what sirens are for some reason 🤦‍♀️ (the brain, just not working XD XD)

TheArcaneAxiom
                  @thearcaneaxiom
                    • Total Posts: 1250

@awsumfaith

Sorry I’m a little late to the discussion, but here’s a few thoughts I have:

I also really like sirens. The traditional greek concept of them is the seductive, beautiful, mermaid-esque creatures who sings enchanted songs to draw in sailors which they then devour. I just like the personification of the danger of temptation.

If Cthulhu counts, I think that’s one that is worth mentioning. The idea of a being so powerful and beyond reality where if awoken from its slumber deep in the ocean, reality would simply snap, and the universe would end just like that. It can get into the idea of the vastness of the deep, and how eternal and ineffable it is, and how small you are in comparison.

The idea of the great sea serpent and the kraken are classic clichés, but they also get into the idea of the vastness of the deep, and how small you are. Something that can constrict, then destroy your ship without a second thought, lurking somewhere in that deep blue, again personifying that deep blue.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >