Uhhhh… Problem?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    E. K. Seaver
    @e-k-seaver
      • Total Posts: 344

So right now there are things I need to focus on for my writing– namely the book I’m trying to publish come autumn and the other book I’m editing for publication come next summer. There are other things I should focus on, too, like the sci-fi book that I wanted to finish by May.

But then there are things that, as @jenwriter17 calls them, are “Plot Cows.”

Sooo. What do I do when the books I’m actually interested in are not what I should be writing?

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
      ekseaver.wordpress.com

Abigail.M.
      @abigail-m
        • Total Posts: 1242

@e-k-seaver

Well tbh, the stories you ought to write are the ones that you enjoy and are interested in:) Because when you enjoy what you write, you get the best results. And a writer only has so much energy for their craft, so you should write the one you really enjoy writing:)

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17
          • Total Posts: 2522

@e-k-seaver

Ooh, that can be tough…

What I usually do when I have something I have to work on and another thing that’s grabbing my attention, is that I give that new idea my attention my daydreaming about it. It might sound kinda weird, but yeah I just allow myself to think about it, maybe brainstorm a little, and let it marinate in my mind (okay, odd word choice, sorry). But ditto what Abigail said too; inspiration and excitement for an idea doesn’t always last forever. By allowing yourself to at least daydream about the idea and write down little bits of ideas for it that you get, that allows you to give attention to it without actually taking that much time away from the projects you have to work on.

Hope that wasn’t confusing, lol!

(*is glad that my phrase ‘plot cow’ is being used be all* 😛

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
          www.jennaterese.com

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j
            • Total Posts: 1789

@e-k-seaver I do the same as Jenna! That happens to me a lot, so what I’ve normally done is focused on my plot cows in between books–or just toyed with them in my mind. When I’m losing excitement for my “need-to-write” project (which is a phase I’m almost always in), I turn my attention onto it. Read over old chapters. Fangirl over my characters. Daydream about what’s to come. That’ll usually pump my inspiration back up.

@jenwriter17
            I absolutely love that phrase!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Jenna Terese
            @jenwriter17
              • Total Posts: 2522

@gracie-j Yay! 😀

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
              www.jennaterese.com

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 1379

@e-k-seaver

Funny thing I’ve noticed, with my own writing at least, is that as soon as I commit to something there’s always another project that pops up and says hey look at me. XD I think it’s because as soon as things get serious with a manuscript, fear and procrastination sets in and we want to look at a glowing golden new idea. I think the best thing to do is remember that the glowing golden idea will only be glowing golden for a while, and soon it will be just as tough to write as our original commitment.

On the flip side though, sometimes we need a little break to explore a new idea. I’d say take two or three days off (three at the most) to have fun with whatever manuscript or new idea you want. Then get back to your commitment, and once per month or so take a day off to work on the fun idea if you’re still interested in it.

But tbh, if you ever lose passion for a project you should put it aside. (Just don’t confuse loss of passion with procrastination.)

Hope this helped a little! 🙂 And it’s gonna be so cool when your work gets published.

ella
                @nova21
                  • Total Posts: 604

@e-k-seaver

Yeah, I agree with everyone else.  It really depends on what your goals are as a writer:  to make money?  to be productive?  to have fun?  Once you flesh out your goal, your choice becomes easier to make.  Above all, honoring God should be the overarching goal, so whatever choice you make, honoring him through it is what matters!  (And if you start losing the joy in writing, that probably means you need to take a step back and take a break/work on another project.)

Anyways, hope that helps!

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                  -gladiator, 2000

Kads
                  @scripter-of-kingdoms
                    • Total Posts: 765

@e-k-seaver Wahhh, I have the exact same problem. I’m supposed to be writing my first book rn to get the first draft done for June, which I do enjoy, but there are other things I want to write too!! I’ve got like 2 of my other series books on the go, and I’m writing a fanfic too (half to prove everyone wrong that fanfic is bad and half to do it cuz i enjoy it). I also am in a book club and we have story comps regularly, so there’s that other romance short I have to scribble out. How do I make time for all of this?!

staring at the fields
                    if nothing's really real
                    i'll make the winter now my home

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >