Transitions are stubborn

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Transitions are stubborn

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Artsy Dragon
    @artsy-dragon
      • Total Posts: 100

I am having a hard time transitioning from scenes of dialogue to action scenes and I am having trouble switching the perspective of the narrator (1st person, 2nd person, etc).  I can write good scenes of dialogue and good scenes of action but Its hard for me to connect the two smoothly.  If anyone has ideas that might help I would love to hear them!

🌟 Full of Light! 🌟
      Philippians 4:8-9

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2803

@artsy-dragon

Oh ok! Idk exactly what you mean, it might help if you attach a scene you wrote you need some help with.

You can have dialogue in an action scene, and vice versa. Here’s a bit of how I do it. Keep in mind I write in 3rd person present tense, but this applies to any perspective or tense. I’m just going to use some random dialogue with my characters as an example.

“Hello!” Tauren says, turning to face Lesli.

This is what I usually do, I put an action with the dialogue in the same sentence as the tag (said, says, exclaims) Usually that’s how it happens in real life (we do things while talking) so I try to help the reader envision that.

If you have a lot of action, it still works the same.

“They’re coming!” Tauren yells back at Lesli, crashing through the woods towards the shelter.

1st person ex.

“They’re coming!” I yell back at Lesli, crashing through the woods towards the shelter.

When you say switching perspectives of the narrator, I assume you’re writing first person and have multiple narrators?

I would only switch narrators at a new chapter personally, because that can get confusing. Some books have chapters titled with the name of the narrator, so like I would have a chapter titled Tauren if he was narrating, and the next titled Lesli if she was narrating.

Hope this helps! If you want to post some of your writing, i’m sure some of us could give better advice.

へびは かっこいい です!

Artsy Dragon
        @artsy-dragon

Thanks a lot for the help.  In my mind I was thinking “Why didn’t I think of that” lol.  It’s so easy to get stuck on the little things sometimes.  That is why it is good to have other people see your work, they can give us a fresh perspective (excuse the pun) on the writing.  I have been alternating the 1st person narrator in each chapter, but I myself get confused as to where the story is going sometimes.  I think I figured out how to avoid the confusion today.  I am making a layout of the plot and the major scenes and figuring out were each character should be for those scenes and that is helping out a ton.  Thank you!

🌟 Full of Light! 🌟

Artsy Dragon
          @artsy-dragon

So much of what I’m writing is unfinished or just started because I get bored of one thing or stuck after a while so I usually bounce around a bit and let out some other ideas in different projects.  I hope I will get some scenes finished enough to be able to post them soon.

🌟 Full of Light! 🌟

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings
              • Total Posts: 2803

@artsy-dragon

Sure! Glad I could be of help! 🙂

へびは かっこいい です!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >