TOTW – What’s Your Favorite Type of Scene in Stories?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE TOTW – What’s Your Favorite Type of Scene in Stories?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

The Forum Topic of the Week is, What is your favorite type of scene to read/write/watch in a story and why? (Action scene, reflection scene, plot twist scene, dialogue scene, romance scene, etc.)

My personal favorite is definitely is dialogue. (If it’s done right, of course, an awful dialog can be unbearable). XD

It’s mainly my favorite because characters and relationships are one of my favorite things in stories. Dialog is usually where you get to know the characters more and see their relationships with other character develop and deepen.

But for me, it is also one of the hardest things for me to write! It’s not always easy getting into the characters’ heads to see what they would realistically say.

So what is your favorite scene in stories?

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
      @william-starkey
        • Total Posts: 634

@kathleenramm For writing, I’d have to say something along the lines of plot twists and description mainly. Though I do like dialogue. For reading, I’d have to say all of the above and more. XD For watching, I’d say action scenes and reflection scenes. Though all are good when used well.

Have you read Pride and Prejudice?

Kathleen
        @kathleenramm

@leon-fleming

Who doesn’t love a good plot twist!

I don’t know a lot of people who really enjoy the description of stories. Is there a particular reason it’s one of your favorites? And which authors do you think do description the best?

I haven’t read the book Pride and Prejudice, but I have watched two film adaptations. Why do you ask?

@william-starkey

@kathleenramm Indeed!

That is an infirmity I deem undeniably apparent within many people; description is a tool of art wherewith the delicate fulness of scenes can be assayed in a portrayal of beauty and fineness. Especially within the confines of writing, particularly English, certain details can be set down quite fully, and to their benefit in compatibility. I cannot imagine why people of this “modern” world would durst to dislike or treat as mediocre such a thing as this when writing. While I write, it is quite pleasurable to me to describe things of God’s hand. Maybe it’s the poet in me. Probably not.

Off the top of my head…I’d say (of course) Tolkien. Though I’ve heard of others definitely. Right now, up high on my list is Matthew Roland’s The Mighty Shall Rise. He has pretty great descriptions. And then there’s Jane Austen and some few other authors.

I’ve watched two adaptations, too. The newer one featuring Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet and the older one featuring Colin Firth as Mr Darcy.

The book (of which I’m reading right now) has amazing dialogue. I would definitely recommend it.

Kathleen
            @kathleenramm

@leon-fleming

It makes a lot of sense that the poet in you is the part of you that takes pleasure in writing descriptions. Poetry can take seemingly simple things like the environment around us and put it through a new lens and make it into artwork.

I have so much respect for people who can do that well.

You can’t talk about great descriptions without mentioning Tolkien!

I could read his description for days if I didn’t love Legolas and Gimli’s banter so much. XD

Pride and Prejudice has amazing dialogue?

*immediately puts the book on the list of books to read*

What do you think makes the dialogue so good?

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting
                • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I don’t know about reading, but I love writing wounded people scenes. There’s blood everywhere, almost everyone’s panicking, and I get to display just how little I actually know about medical stuff.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                Would you mind letting me know
                If hours don't turn into days

@william-starkey

@kathleenramm Yes, though the poet isn’t always the one who delights in description; sometimes the writer takes it to the prose level.

In some cases, yes, that does seem like the way of poetry. Though many times it is just the perspective of the poet writing his thoughts down.

True! Tolkien does like his descriptions. XD

Yes, it does; the dialogue…Jane Austen uses quite a spectacular word choice. Of course, back then, when people spoke English, that was a regular thing. Unfortunately, nowadays it is not.

Also, writing epic fantasy death scenes is particularly enjoying for me. Not for my characters, of course. XD It’s definitely not like I enjoy that sort of thing (not at all), but the emotions going through the characters minds (if described AT ALL) and the picturesque description of the whole scene is great. If written right.

Corissa Maiden of Praise
                  @corissa-maiden-of-praise
                    • Total Posts: 256

@kathleenramm

To read: Plot twist!!! Though I also love a good dialogue or description. And suspense in a story will definitely keep me reading, especially if I’m trying to figure things out along with the main character rather than knowing what’s going on and simply pleading with the main character to FIGURE IT OUT ALREADY. XD

To write: I enjoy writing descriptions very much, but I fear I tend to overdo it (this is why I love writing poetry XD). I think, when it comes to good, productive writing, I tend to lean toward dialogue.

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Kathleen
                    @kathleenramm

@corissa-maiden-of-praise

Yes! I’m glad someone gave plot twists the appreciation they deserve! I love stories that keep you on your toes. I mean, if you already know how the story is going to play out from the beginning, then what’s the point of reading it?

What story has your favorite plot twist?

I too have the same struggle of not knowing how much description is too much description. I could go on and on before I realize that the reader probably died of boredom at that point. XD

Kathleen
                      @kathleenramm

@devastate-lasting

I didn’t even think of those kinds of scenes, but I can definitely see why it’s your favorite to write!

It kinda sounds psychopathic but, for some reason, high emotion, and panicking scenes can be really fun to write. XD

Plus, I also like how you learn a lot more about the characters and see a side of them you didn’t see before when they’re in a catastrophe.

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting
                          • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Haha now that you say it it does sound kinda sadistic…but I don’t do it often 😉

Yes, the high emotion really helps to develop characters and help spice up the story if it feels too flat!

Lately, it's been on my brain
                          Would you mind letting me know
                          If hours don't turn into days

@william-starkey

@corissa-maiden-of-praise Hey, somebody else who writes poetry!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >