Titles…again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

There’s a lot of truth to a quote I once saw, at least in my own life: One either gets a title right the first time, or they spend weeks or months agonizing over it. Or, in my case, years.

So, there’s this book I’m working on. Originally it was called Legend of the Shield, then The Shield and Spear. It’s most recent title is The Final Clash. I’m trying to find a better name and nothing is snapping, so I am hoping I’ll get some ideas here. *crosses fingers*

The story is a fantasy where the MC finds a legendary shield and has to defeat an enemy trying to destroy his nation. In the process, he learns to trust in the Prince and give everything over to him. Wow, I managed the whole book in two sentences!

Anyhow, I’d kind of like to have the word clash or clashing in the title, and possibly the word shield or legend. But it’s not completely necessary. Some ideas I’ve had include:

The Clashing
      The Clash
      Kingdoms’ Clash
      Clashing Shield.

Do you like any of these titles? Do you have any ideas of titles which could work?

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Anna Brie
      @anna-brie
        • Total Posts: 312

I thought that The Final Clash was good title. I like it better than any of the one you have suggested there.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

Legendary Shield
          A Shield And The Nation

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Greta
          @gretald
            • Total Posts: 450

I like the Final Clash, and honestly, I like “Legend of the Shield.” I know you must have had reasons for renaming the book, but those are the ones I like. Sorry, I’m probably not being helpful. :/ Let me see if I can think of any other titles…
            What about “Legend of the Clashing Shield?” Or maybe “The Clash of Kingdoms?” I don’t know…

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976

Hoo boy. Let’s see @Hope.

*Thinks*

Nope, can’t think of anything.

Therefore, I will proceed to rant. Feel free to ignore.
              Actually, I’m more like mumbling to myself because I hate myself for not being able to think of anything clever. 😛
              So I’m wondering, why exactly is it you want clashing in the title? I get that it has to do with the climax, but is that really the point of the book? Perhaps it was, starting out, but hasn’t that shifted? Is the point of the book that light and darkness clash? That when light and darkness clash, light always gains the mastery? Nooooo… at least I don’t think so. The theme, as I perceive it, is faith in the promises of Christ. Or Christ’s unswerving love, though man is so unworthy. Something might be built off that.
              The Promise
              A Light Unbroken
              Spear of Hatred, Shield of Faith
              Not Forsaken
              Child of Promise
              Day of Reckoning
              The Prophecy
              Child of Prophecy
              The Shield
              Impossible Promise
              As Prophesied
              By War and Faith

Aaaaaaaaand I also love The Clashing.

*stares at list of titles* The longer I look at those, the lamer they become. 😛 I’ve just dumped all my thoughts out on the page in hopes that they will be of use.
              I won’t die if they aren’t.
              Thankfully.
              *drinks root beer*

Daeus
              @daeus

When Dawn Clashes. That sounds awesome, but I’m not sure it makes any sesnse.

uum… *Steals Kate’s rootbeer to help me think* Ooh! The Clash At Dawn.

…I know. I’m so imaginative.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                @hope

@anna-brie I know…those ones aren’t very good. But nothing is clicking.

@gretald
                  The problem with Legend of the Shield was that I discovered it was actually the title of some comic series. 😉 And nothing just seems to be snapping. And the way my book’s theme has changed, The Final Clash really doesn’t fit anymore.

That’s a good point, @kate-flournoy. I don’t know why I like the word clashing so much. Perhaps I should let it go *breaks into song* *breaks off song abruptly and wonders if anyone here actually gets that reference*

Seriously though, you’re right in that the theme has changed since my original story. Not that the title ever had much to do with the theme so much as it did with the climax. And I do like The Clashing but it isn’t quite snapping. *sighs* What I’d love to have is a catchy title which grabs the readers attention at the beginning of the story and then half way though they are thrilled as they finally realize what the title means. Which brings me back to the word clash or clashing.

And Impossible Promise…that’s funny because one of my ideas on my secret page of titles was Impossible Oath. 😉 Great minds think alike. By War and Faith is kind of cool. Not the title, but maybe it will give me an idea.

@Daeus
                  I agree. When Dawn Clashes sounds really cool. Also, I’m afraid it doesn’t make much sense in relation to the book. How about When Shields Clash…no, that won’t work either because there is only one shield.

One Shield and one Spear. A prophecy. A hidden sign. Drawing on hidden strength. A messenger discovering he’s a prince and then a king, shouldered with the sudden weight of a nation at war. A legend. The Firstflowing where the final battle is fought.

Maybe those phrases will nudge some ideas onto paper. Maybe. I’m not holding my breath. Instead I’m going to go read, and then I’ll take a shower and see if the warm water will give me any ideas.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

Hey I got the reference @Hope!!!!!!!! *dances gleeful jig*

Hidden Promises?

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

… A Name Concealed?

*seven million winky faces*

Daeus
                      @daeus

I don’t know @Hope. Just brainstorm or something. Maybe these questions will reveal some key aspect of your story

What’s one word that describes your protagonist?
                        What’s one word that describes your antagonist?
                        What’s your protagonist’s lie?
                        Do you have any repeated phrases throughout the story?
                        What swings the tide at the climax?
                        What is the name of the main character?
                        What are the story’s stakes?
                        What symbolism do you use in the story? Which symbols are the most unique?
                        What’s the saddest thing about your story?
                        What’s the happiest thing about your story?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
                        @bluejay
                          • Total Posts: 1622

What about Battle Shield? @hope

BlueJay
                          @bluejay
                            • Total Posts: 1622

I gotta to do this. *breaks into song*

Let it go, let it go!
                            Can’t hold it back anymore.
                            Let it go, let it go!
                            Turn away and slam the door.
                            I don’t care what they’re going to say.
                            Let the storm rage on.
                            The cold never bothered me anyway.

Sorry, I just had to do that. *Hits the submit button and goes away singing at the top of her voice.*

Hope Ann
                            @hope

Good idea, @daeus Annnnnd, I’m going to do it here just because.

What’s one word that describes your protagonist? Unbowed

What’s one word that describes your antagonist? Vengeful

What’s your protagonist’s lie? He must win on his own

Do you have any repeated phrases throughout the story? Not quotable ones

What swings the tide at the climax? Hoplessness; realization of the power of the Prince

What is the name of the main character? Ethaniel

What are the story’s stakes? Fate of two nations and the next age

What symbolism do you use in the story? Which symbols are the most unique? The King’s Sign/scar; mist…though that’s more of a cool effect than symbolic; the Firstflowing

What’s the saddest thing about your story? Death and destruction wrought by war

What’s the happiest thing about your story? Victorious power of the Prince

Daeus
                              @daeus

@hope Powerless

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                                @hope

@Daeus Oooo, I like that one! I’m not committing to any title yet, but that is one I’ll definitely be keeping in mind.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >