Tips, tricks, descriptions and new words!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Tips, tricks, descriptions and new words!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Allison
    @acancello
      • Total Posts: 838

I just pulled out a “Novel” I wrote a couple years ago based off a dream I had and as I was skimming through it I realized that I needed way more description and bigger words (I felt like I was using the same ones over and over and over …..) And I keep re-reading my current books and realize how much more description I could put in! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to adding more detail or description? On a side note I looked up words with deep meaning and WOW! There are hundreds that might just be the missing describing word you have been looking for 😀

#1: Epiphany- Means a moment when you suddenly become conscious or understand something that is very important to you.

#2: Ineffable- To great to be expressed in words

#3: Seatherny- The serenity one feels when listening to the chirping of birds

I would post more but theres so many 😀

Anyway, if anyone wants to share there story’s or have any tips, tricks or new words, feel free to post them in here!

Light
      @lightoverdarkness6
        • Total Posts: 1626

@acancello

Wow!! Those are cool! Yeah, I’ve been trying to get better at describing situations in my book as well. I like to look up ‘descriptive words for –‘ whatever I needed, and just reading them helps me to remember them for future reference. Also, if you copy and paste them into a doc, you can review them when you need it. That’s what I do, lol.

I found a few words too!

1. Diminutive- Means extremely or unusually small.

2. Exultant- Triumphantly happy.

3. Gregarious- Someone fond of company; sociable.

4. Jocular-  Someone fond of, or characterized by joking…humorous and/or playful.

5. Jubilant-  Similar to Exultant; Feeling or expressing great happiness and triumph

6. Magnanimous-  Generous or forgiving, especially toward a rival or less powerful person.mellow

#HugRikerSquad

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 8156

@acancello. @lightoverdarkness6. Ooh, love those words!!! Really cool!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Can’t think of any big and descriptive words I know and use…😂😂😂

Allison
          @acancello

@lightoverdarkness6

That’s a good idea! Thanks! I also really like those words,especially jocular, gregarious and magnanimous . I’m going to try to add them into my book!

80sTrish
            @80strish
              • Total Posts: 29

I love this topic idea! I’ve actually been keeping a list of words I like on my phone:

Modicum, Askance, Tenacity, Lexicon, Animosity, Perpetuity, Verbose, Assuage, Insubordination, Machinations, Peripheral, Cursory, Imbecilic, Bequeathed, Proverbial, Wry, Culmination, Vehemence, Fervently, Ostentatious, Echelon, and Indomitable

I’m not sure if ‘Imbecilic’ is a real word…

And in my writing for today (A-Team fanfiction, basically), Murdock referred to Face as having “Deceptionist powers,” and I’m pretty certain that ‘Deceptionist’ isn’t a word but it sounded cool and like something he would say.

Wama-lama-bama-lama
              God is king but rock 'n roll might be second

SarahSmile
              @sarahsmile
                • Total Posts: 31

@anybody-who-happens-to-be-on-this-topic Cool!

I thought of the word ‘Inexorable’, it means impossible to prevent or stop; unrelenting.

SarahSmile
                @sarahsmile
                  • Total Posts: 31

@80strish

I looked it up and have conformed that ‘Deceptionist’ is not a word, however ‘Imbecilic’ is.

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12
                    • Total Posts: 6645

@acancello so I have a whole book on crazy words (that I can’t get to at the moment) but I’ll have to share a few on here!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                    @godlyfantasy12
                      • Total Posts: 6645

OH and also I hate writing descriptions of things, places, etc…..

😅 is this an all writer thing or is there someone who LOVES writing description out there?

(if there is you can write the descriptions for me if you’d like XD XD)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                      #ProtectMarcel
                      #ProtectSeb

TheArcaneAxiom
                      @thearcaneaxiom
                        • Total Posts: 1251

So I’m a descriptivist. Meaning that I believe that language is changes, and that can’t nor should be changed. This is where accents come from, because of subtle changes, then those become dialects, then languages. Scriptivism is the opposite where one believes that language has must have formal rules that should never be deviated from. One just embraces the chaos of language, where the other tries to slow and temper it. Why I bring this up is because many will say “well that’s not a word”. You know those people, they’ll tell you “it’s whom actually”, or “it’s the alien and I, not me and the alien”. Such people fall under Scriptivism. Scriptivism has value in things like mathematics and other sciences, where defined rigor is vital to communicate a point without any uncertainty. When it comes to language and literature however, I offer an alternative. When you write something down, then ask “Wait? Is this a word?” you have full power to say “well, it is now”. You don’t want to do this much when it comes to college essays and stuff, because most academia lives under the hood of scriptivism, with the exception of many linguists. When writing however, know that your the author, and how you communicate in your terminology and grammar is up to you. Obviously don’t start making a bunch of words up out of nowhere, unless that’s an intentional part of your writing, like Jabberwocky. Just simply know that what is and isn’t a word isn’t so black and white, no matter how much schools will tell you otherwise.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

80sTrish
                        @80strish
                          • Total Posts: 29

@godlyfantasy12

I’d be willing to! Example: (note, this is from an early draft of my story and doesn’t happen in the current version)

Jannira arrived in Nyxarado city in the late evening, the tracks of the speed-train seeming to glow red in the rapidly fading light. No, wait… The tracks are actually glowing, she realized as the lights along them slowly shifted from red to purple to blue. She watched, transfixed, until a cold breeze cut through her hoodie, reminding her that she had to get going if she wanted to reach her new apartment by nightfall. As she dashed down the emptying sidewalks, she noticed that most of the people her age were all heading in the same direction. Where are they all going? she wondered.

Wama-lama-bama-lama
                          God is king but rock 'n roll might be second

MineralizedWritings
                          @mineralizedwritings
                            • Total Posts: 2801

@acancello

Oh, nice topic, thanks! Those are some cool description words you found!

My favorite for description isn’t necessarily words, but I think it still counts?

I like to describe physical things with emotions… it’s pretty hard to find a way to do it, but when in the perfect scene, it’s kinda op imo 🤣

Flopping over onto the covers, she buries her face into the blankets. Rough with age, but soft with the memories of childhood. Lesli feels the blanket in front of her eyes run hot with her own tears. Her breath returns to her with each exhale, warming her face.

The comparison of the blankets physical roughness and emotional softness has gotta be one of my favorite lines I’ve ever written. 😀

Oh and I also like to try to use lighting descriptions to show connections between characters. This is kinda a knew thing I’ve been trying. Because my oc’s Tauren and Lesli are close friends, when they are in the mines together, I describe their headlight beams intersecting when they look at eachother. and Lesli’s headlight reflecting off of Tauren’s glasses. Idk, there’s just so much you can do with it.

へびは かっこいい です!

MineralizedWritings
                            @mineralizedwritings
                              • Total Posts: 2801

@godlyfantasy12

OH and also I hate writing descriptions of things, places, etc…..

EXCUSE ME??!!

YOU WHAT?

😯

I love writing descriptions! but it can’t just be any old place. I think it’s only fun if you make it creative … idk if that makes since. Usually different places in my book represent different emotions.

(Mines– childhood memories/growing up)

(the outside– freedom, fear of the unknown, taking risks)

(the outer reaches– fear of the unknown, danger, having self confidence in the face of fear)

(the west hills bunkers– lack of self confidence and risk taking)

That’s just a couple examples, but when I wright descriptions, I try to use anything I can to portray the emotions the places are supposed to have. The yellow dusty lighting of the mines is supposed to feel homey, and the dark halls and passages of the outer reaches are supposed to be kinda scary. I’m reading way to far into this, but Lesli and Tauren’s yellow hued headlights they wear everywhere would signify a taste of the mines (their friendship, childhood, ect.) no matter where they are, even in the outer reaches the yellow lighting still follows them.

Anyways, I love descriptions 🤣 they are so powerful with emotions!

へびは かっこいい です!

Allison
                              @acancello

@godlyfantasy12I

I have a whole book on crazy words (that I can’t get to at the moment) but I’ll have to share a few on here!

Oooh, great! I’m excited to see some! Also, yes I do  love to write description but either I feel like I write to much so that it bores the reader  or to little so no one  knows what I’m writing about 🙂

Allison
                                @acancello

@mineralizedwritings

That is an amazing description!! It defiantly would pull the reader in. I love the description of the blanket, It’s kind of sad and happy at the same time 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >