Time Period Writing

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Historical Time Period Writing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hobbitchild
    @hobbitchild
      • Total Posts: 32

So, what is y’all’s favorite time period in which to write in? Is it this century? Or is it more around the time of the revolution, the civil war, or, say, fifty years ago?

Thoughts?

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@hobbitchild

WW1 and Roman Britain!

What about you?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Hobbitchild
        @hobbitchild
          • Total Posts: 32

@seekjustice

World War One is a great era! I like whatever era the Waltons were in (thirties or forties) and 1800s. I usually write in present day, though.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Hobbitchild.
          Kathleen
          @kathleenramm
            • Total Posts: 635

@hobbitchild

Although I like trying out a lot of different time periods, present day is my favorite.

Mainly because I obviously know that time period the best, so it’s easier to write the world and characters. It’s also easier to put myself in the characters shoes since their life isn’t drastically different from mine. But whenever I do write in present day, I usually add in some unrealistic and or fantasy element to the story to switch things up and keep things interesting.

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
            @william-starkey
              • Total Posts: 634

@hobbitchild I typically write fantasy, or a N.D. Wilson-type fantasy, so I haven’t yet written in historical settings yet. I would like to write in a much earlier time period if I did, though.

Gracie J.
              @gracie-j
                • Total Posts: 1789

Hi! *waves hand wildly whilst surging to her feet in an attempt to make her five-foot self visible above the many tall, top-hat-wearing heads before her*

As a historical author, I’d say I’ve dabbled in basically every single time period of recorded history. Let’s see–Ancient Rome and Israel, medieval Europe, Renaissance-era Europe, post-Renaissance/Golden Age of Piracy, Colonial America, Georgian, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian, Wild Wild West (cue the iconic Lone Ranger theme), and World Wars 1 and 2–not to mention post-WWII, but there’s still debate on whether that historical or not. I’ve also tried my hand at fantasy multiple times (I’m still trying to find that perfect story) and contemporary, but I suck at contemporary, YA specifically. (Why is that, considering I’m a 21st century young adult?)

I would venture to say that these are all my favorite eras, to both read and write in. Obviously, I lean more toward the Golden Age (1650-1720), but there’s something about the Victorian era that I just adore. It’s the proper mix of the fashionable, slightly roguish Regency era and the detached, foreboding Edwardian era. (Plus, it possesses a Dickensian aura in England and a touch of the Civil War’s drama in America. It also makes a great time period for a mystery!)

I also love the Waltons’ Depression-era. (I’ve actually come up with a series set in the 1920s-30s that has a warm Waltons feel. I’m surprised by how much I like that!)

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              >