Thinking alone vs talking with others. Which gives you more story ideas?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week Thinking alone vs talking with others. Which gives you more story ideas?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Thinking alone vs talking with others. Which gives you more story ideas?

I’ve gotten many story ideas by doing both, as probably most of us have, but if I had to choose one where I get more ideas, it would probably be thinking alone.

It’s very close to a tie for me since I get so many story ideas from discussions both related to writing and not related, but I’m not sure anything beats just sitting alone and just letting your imagination and thoughts run wild.

I feel like since I already have so much stimulation in my daily life, that the time where I can finally let everything in my mind settle is where story ideas start to develop the most.

So what about you? Do you get more story ideas talking with people, or just thinking by yourself?

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Hmm I’m not used to brainstorming with others but sometimes I’ll brainstorm if I’m really really stuck, usually I prefer to get ideas from everywhere around me and letting it simmer in my head into something coherent. Maybe because I’m not used to telling other people about my ideas XD And they’ll probably not understand the end vibe I want.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer
          • Total Posts: 243

It’s probably a pretty even split for story ideas. For writing ideas in general, talking with people definitely wins; I get tons of ideas for blog posts and the like when I have discussions. And if I’m fleshing out a story idea I already have, it often helps to talk it out with someone else (whether they contribute ideas or simply serve as a sounding board). I think it has to do with the fact that I’m an extrovert, so I thrive on social engagement, lol.

I used to get a lot more ideas from being alone, but now my brain seems to occupy itself in other, less fun ways (worrying over my to-do list, much of the time, lol) so I generally try to avoid too much quiet anyway. ;P

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Denali Christianson
          @denali-christianson
            • Total Posts: 51

Oh this is such an interesting question!!!

I would say it’s about equal. I get most of my character and world-building ideas from thinking alone, when I’m out on a hike in the woods or sitting in my room listening to epic cinematic music. (I’m obsessed…)

However, I get the majority of my plot points from talking to people. I find if I don’t talk to people and discuss things with them, I start reusing old tired plot twists or just writing myself into a deep dark hole of pain. That takes a long time to fix. Ugh.

Although as Archer was saying, I’m also an extravert so people is the thing that keeps me going. XD

I was one way, and now I am completely different. And the thing that happened in between was Him.

E. M. Trepke
            @e-m-trepke
              • Total Posts: 145

Generally I get more ideas from thinking alone, but sometimes a sibling says something, or something comes up in conversation which launches a whole new train of thought, which I then develop by thinking alone.

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good on, eh?
              -The Doctor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >