These Critiques; I like them. Another! *slams down proverbial coffee cup*

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Other Art Forms ā€ŗ Poetry ā€ŗ Poetry Critiques ā€ŗ These Critiques; I like them. Another! *slams down proverbial coffee cup*

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Spradlin
    @spradlin
      • Total Posts: 189

Hi all!

Hereā€™s another poem that I wrote a little while ago. Iā€™d love to hear what yā€™all think! Specifically on line breaks (againā€“ see a pattern) as well as if there are any lines that seem irrelevant or out of place. Thanks! Yā€™all rock.

Authors are those

who have traveled into so many souls

that when they reach out

they brush against anotherā€™s with the tips

of their fingers.

Authors can,

while spreading their nets

to capture hearts and minds,

communicate something meaningful

through something as roughly hewn

as a wild string of shapes and viscous ideologies,

thrust through a system that only has 26 inputs

and fewer combinations that result in more than gibberish.

Authors are enigmatic wordsmiths,

rangers in a world abounding with royals,

who use words as swords

and pens like axes,

taking down the foes of a flawed people

without ever allowing a whisper to escape from their thin, pressed lips.

Authors are superheroes

who wear ink-smears and glasses

instead of spandex and brazen glory,

who drink coffee instead of margaritas,

who collect words and books

instead of trouble and bottle caps.

They are a people who see everything,

collecting vibrant strands of truth embedded in grey obscurity,

faithfully telling the blind of scarlet roses and golden rainā€”

a people for whom eraser dust

is the shrapnel of their silent warā€”

a people who will watch quietly

as the world, in all its glory and depravity,

spins out of control

and still believe

its worth saving.

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Oohā€¦ wow. There are other people like me out there! YAY! Actually I knew that as soon as I first found KPā€¦ and it was so encouragingā€¦ anyway.

I really love the theme of this poem (of course, since I can relate to it!) and it was very well put across.
        There was one line I noticed whose cadence twisted a little oddlyā€” ā€˜without ever allowing a whisper to escape from their thin, pressed lips.ā€™ It might sound better if you went with ā€˜While never allowing a whisper to escape from their thin, pressed lips.ā€™ Nothing major. Just nitpicking.

And I donā€™t drink coffee. ;D šŸ˜›

Amanda Fischer
        @wordfitlyspoken
          • Total Posts: 79

This is my favorite part: ā€œa people who will watch quietly/as the world, in all its glory and depravity/spins out of control/and still believe/itā€™s worth saving.ā€

Iā€™m kind of terrible at critiquing poetry, since I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m doing there. But yeah, the line breaks feel a little choppy at times. Could just be me though.

Love the message. šŸ™‚

Sarah Spradlin
          @spradlin

@kate-flournoy: lol! Yes, you are definitely in good company. Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. That was one of the lines I was actually poking with like ā€œwhy are you not doing the things I want you to do, hmm?ā€ I also donā€™t drink coffee (well, I kind of donā€™tā€“ like, only when someoneā€™s like ā€œletā€™s go get coffeeā€ and itā€™s a social obligation), but shhhhh, else the coffeeholics find us and assimilate us.
            xD

@wordfitlyspoken
            : Thanks! Thatā€™s my favorite part too šŸ˜€ Okay, cool. Yes, I shall work on those linebreak things. šŸ™‚ I definitely agree that theyā€™re a little (if not a lot) choppy here and there. šŸ™‚

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Amanda Fischer
            @wordfitlyspoken

I donā€™t drink coffee either. šŸ™‚

I hope you donā€™t mind, I quoted you on Pinterest.

Amanda Fischer
              @wordfitlyspoken

Ugh, it always gets rid of the link. Letā€™s modify it a bit then: http://www.pinterest(dot)com/pin/492229434252014260/

Sarah Spradlin
                @spradlin

@wordfitlyspoken We should start a club. xD ā€œThe Writers Who (Quietly) Donā€™t Drink Coffeeā€ Also, no, I donā€™t mind at all! I totally just followed you on pinterest by the way. šŸ˜€

Amanda Fischer
                  @wordfitlyspoken

Yes, yes we should.

And I had to go look in the ā€œfollowersā€ tab since I have notifications turned off for people I donā€™t follow. šŸ˜› Found you! I kind of quote everyone and everything on Pinterest these daysā€¦sometimes I forget to ask first. Whoops. Hehe, glad you donā€™t mind!

Amanda Fischer
                    @wordfitlyspoken

ā€œThe pen is mightier than the swordā€¦ā€ ā€œā€¦But I really like swords.ā€ RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

Okay. Youā€™re officially awesome.

Sarah Spradlin
                      @spradlin

lol! Yeah, sometimes Iā€™ll go on a quote kick myself where Iā€™m like ā€œLOOK AT ALL THE SMART SAYINGS OF THE SMART PEOPLE! LOOK AT THEM! LOOOOOOOOK.ā€ And then I think, ā€œWow, really could have picked a better senior quote.ā€ XD And yesssss! Now we can officially share the nerdy things.

XD I canā€™t take credit for that idea. My lit teacher gave everyone ā€œsuperlativesā€ at the end of my junior year, and thatā€™s what he gave me. šŸ™‚ I use it everywhere I can xD

Rosey Mucklestone
                        @writefury
                          • Total Posts: 467

LOVE this poem. o_O Wow. Great job, Sarah!
                          I donā€™t have a lot to correct, but thereā€™s one line:

rangers in a world abounding with royals,

Itā€™s a good line, but I just think it could be a little better. The start of ā€œrangers in a worldā€¦ā€ could be taken a lot of places, and not all authors write medieval fiction. šŸ˜›

Hope Ann
                          @hope
                            • Total Posts: 1092

I love the end of that poem. And I love the word ā€˜wordsmithsā€™ and the part

who use words as swords
                            and pens like axes,

I did think the next line taking down the foes of a flawed people was a little confusing.

And I donā€™t drink coffee eitherā€¦hot chocolate is my thing. šŸ™‚

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Hope Ann
                            @hope
                              • Total Posts: 1092

And I love Pinterest. I just followed you, @wordfitlyspoken and was surprised to see you were part of the Rizkaland Legends board too. šŸ™‚ And I love your boards too, @Spradlin. Iā€™ll have to look though them sometimeā€¦

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Hope Ann.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Sarah Spradlin
                              @spradlin

@writefury Thank you, Rosey! lol! Yeah, that thought has crossed my mind. Iā€™ll have to think about a good way to change itā€¦ Maybe I can add a footnote. ā€œCheck out John Flanaganā€™s ā€œrangersā€ā€ šŸ˜€

@hope
                                Thanks!! Gotcha, Iā€™ll work on that. šŸ™‚ And fabulous! I shall also follow you on the pinterest things. šŸ™‚ (Yassssss! Hot chocolate for the win!)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >