THE WORLDBUILDING THREAD

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy THE WORLDBUILDING THREAD

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer
      • Total Posts: 243

@denali-christianson

[quote quote=110188]Also I just have to say that I totally knew you would show up the moment the word “worldbuilding” appeared. XD[/quote]

This is the reputation I strive for. XD

@elishavet-pidyon

That’s neat! I’m also intrigued by the Nordic/Slavic inspiration of your world; those are really cool cultures to draw from!

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Koshka
      @koshka
        • Total Posts: 1424

Worldbuilding is fun, difficult and frustrating sometimes yes, but we didn’t actually think this would be easy, did we?

*Sigh of dismay*

I do enjoy it though, especially being able to create my own solar/calender system, because why be boring? Hint; if you’re wanting to show a huge rift between two cultures using separate calenders helps. In abundance.

If you need to find/make a lot of place names, using warped forms of real words at least gives you something to work with.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Pidyon
        @elishavet-pidyon
          • Total Posts: 1013

@r-m-archer

Isn’t it?

They are interesting. So, those particular cultures are mostly concentrated in the VoyageFolk. They dress like the Norse and the Rus, speak like the Rus, and live like the Northmen in that they avoid living on land. At all. (with some of my own invention to blend them all.)

I have found it intriguing to study (ha, ha, that sounds so much more in-depth than the truth of the matter) the different Viking-like peoples and combine them.

Basic explanation of the Dehgavor: there are two main groups, one belonging to a powerful pact (Dehgavor) of non-raiding Voyagers that are instead expert merchants, warriors, and smugglers. The other group is made up of the various tribes and families that despise the Dehgavor and are raiders. The two don’t get along well, and often relish a chance to cross blades.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

E. M. Trepke
          @e-m-trepke
            • Total Posts: 145

Hello! I’m new to Kingdom Pen. I LOVE worldbuilding! I have a great fantasy world I am working on which I love, cannot describe to others yet, and used to be two different worlds until I realized they were meant to be one world. A large part of my worldbuilding comes from dreams, random ideas, and bit of books I’ve read which have morphed. All these merge and develop into… something, hopefully unique. How do you guys go about worldbuilding?

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good on, eh?
            -The Doctor

R.M. Archer
            @r-m-archer

(Sorry if this posts in duplicate; I’m trying to navigate KP’s tendency to delete posts when I edit them. XP)

@elishavet-pidyon

[quote quote=110302]They are interesting. So, those particular cultures are mostly concentrated in the VoyageFolk. They dress like the Norse and the Rus, speak like the Rus, and live like the Northmen in that they avoid living on land. At all. (with some of my own invention to blend them all.)[/quote]

Ooh, neat! I have a culture that avoids living on land, too, with more Maori and Hawaiian influence on the language and some Viking inspiration planned for their culture (and their hair, because Viking braids are epic).

[quote quote=110302]I have found it intriguing to study (ha, ha, that sounds so much more in-depth than the truth of the matter) the different Viking-like peoples and combine them.[/quote]

That does sound like fun! (I get that. XD I am the queen of cursory Google searches… or else hours-long wikiwalks… there’s very little in between, lol.)

[quote quote=110302]Basic explanation of the Dehgavor: there are two main groups, one belonging to a powerful pact (Dehgavor) of non-raiding Voyagers that are instead expert merchants, warriors, and smugglers. The other group is made up of the various tribes and families that despise the Dehgavor and are raiders. The two don’t get along well, and often relish a chance to cross blades.[/quote]

Nice! Did the Dehgavor develop their warrior skills for the sake of fighting the raider group, or was there some other need for battle before the raiders came along?

@e-m-trepke

[quote quote=110305]How do you guys go about worldbuilding?[/quote]

Bit of a plug here, since it’s easier to point to an already-written blog post than to type out the whole process and its variations anew. XD Here’s a post I wrote outlining my process(es) for my three main worlds.

E. M. Trepke
              @e-m-trepke
                • Total Posts: 145

Cool! Thanks!

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good on, eh?
                -The Doctor

Elishavet Pidyon
                @elishavet-pidyon

@r-m-archer

Ooh, neat! I have a culture that avoids living on land, too, with more Maori and Hawaiian influence on the language and some Viking inspiration planned for their culture (and their hair, because Viking braids are epic).

Thanks! Yours sounds pretty neat too. Viking braids are great. My sisters and I actually do a variation of one of them fairly often.

That does sound like fun! (I get that. XD I am the queen of cursory Google searches… or else hours-long wikiwalks… there’s very little in between, lol.)

It is! Yeah, random unplanned research is such fun. My Google history is exceedingly strange. XD

Nice! Did the Dehgavor develop their warrior skills for the sake of fighting the raider group, or was there some other need for battle before the raiders came along?

Oh, nice question! They have developed much of their skills fighting the other group, but much of them were developed before the Dehgavor. You see, there used to only be many unconnected tribes, with most of them being raiders, but after some particular event took place, the most connected groups banded together and formed the Dehgavor, a a practical nation that agreed against raiding. The raiding groups were offended, to put it lightly, and when some of the Dehgavor defended an Eirtanian vessel (this nation has been of old entangled with the Dehgavor groups) against a raid….

The Dehgavor have developed their smuggling and fighting skills to aid their “brethren of the land” (Eirtan) so, they have both developed them before and after, you could say. 😉

What your sea-dwelling folk do/ what is their occupation?

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12
                    • Total Posts: 6645

@denali-christianson HOW DID U LEARN LATIN XD that’s cool I use Latin to come up with fantasy names rofl…I pretty much use google translate honestly…and at one point I was going to use Latin as a guiding point for my Faerie language which I may still have some words I come up with….but  idk much Latin in itself so UGH LANGUAGES ARE SO HARD WHYYYY

I’ll think of words…like wolf, and translate them into different languages and then mix them all up 🤣

BUT YALL….does anyone here know Hebrew…and if so, can u PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO LEARN? Because I literally have no idea. The reason is because when I look up “How to learn Hebrew” it shows their language (WHICH I CANNOT READ) and I’m like “UMM HOW CAN I LEARN IT WHEN I CANNOT READ IT DUUH)

But I’m asking because, I just want to make like a fantasy language (like even just a few phrases some how and it sounds sooo daunting cuz I’ve know idea where to start and I’m not that technical and I’m just like AGH, but I’ve got this one Charrie in my books whose super mystical and loyal to God and I’d love if her people have their own language, and that inspiration came from the Hebrew language cuz I just think it’s soooo beautiful.

Ugh….worldbuilding seems so daunting even tho I’ve already got like a head start of ideas XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

Elishavet Pidyon
                    @elishavet-pidyon

@godlyfantasy12

Learning languages can be really hard, but they sure do help for name inspiration!

But it doesn’t help when it’s all in the language itself. XD

I feel your pain.

For the reason I am replying to you is tgat I am learning Hebrew.

Now please note that that is present tense! 😉 I’m not very far in.

Sometimes looking up things like “Hebrew vowels” helps, and I’ve even found that adding “for Christains” or “for English speakers” helps steer away from the עִברִית XD

Mostly, I’ve used Duolingo, (Because it’s cheep/free and I’m a homeschooler so that counts as Language Studies, right? XD )

But for what I’m guessing you need it for, what you probably really want is a good pronunciation guide, since Google translate doesn’t have a voice for Hebrew. In fact as you probably noticed, most places don’t.

I have actually copied some guide sheets from websites like etz-hayim.com which is a site for people who want to study the Bible in its original language. (I think that’s what it’s for, but I will admit that I was a little confused on that head. Still, they had a good outline of the sounds belonging to each letter, so that’s nice.)

And I also have a work book for Hebrew Cursive by Jewishחיlife (Jewish Chai Life) Books and Co. that uses the Old Testament as copying material. So, that’s a fun way to learn the letters. (Okay, they call it the Torah, but only the books Genesis and Exodus are used in this book.)

Lastly, the Strong’s Concordance Bible has Hebrew words and their pronunciation, and the Blue Letter Bible (an app for your phone) has the whole Old Testament in Hebrew with Strong’s Concordance.

Honestly though, of anyone on here is taking Hebrew from an actual instructor, they’d probably be able to help a little better. My methods are so convoluted. XD

EmilySF
                      @emilysf
                        • Total Posts: 141

@r-m-archer

Thank you so much for the advice! I might try that for different cultures/nations in one world! (I have three major ones, atm.) I have (*counts*) five different languages, besides the universal one (I think) and a similar amount of writing systems (based on the same basic runes, just different styles) and those come together with the location of the cultures/nations to create 10, maybe 12, different cultures, and so based on the different culture and language, that method could work quite well!

@denali-christianson
                         (but I want some more meaning in this story than that, but, yes, I have gone around creating wacko names before, hehe. XD Especially for a list that one character rattles off while traveling, lol, hehe)

@godlyfantasy12

I should try using Anagrams sometime; it might help me with having meaningful and good sounding names! I might do a mix of what you and @r-m-archer do to get a healthy mix for all my different countries/nations. 🙂

"[Write] today like there's no tomorrow!"

EmilySF
                        @emilysf

@godlyfantasy12

I am constructing and language and use Latin as a base for some of the processes. I learned latin using a set of books called Henle (the author of the books) and it was difficult, but very good to learn (with my grandma who’s taught it for years and thus able to answer many questions about it) and it was a pretty thorough course. I loved how the learning process went, and enjoyed it a lot. I did it through Seton Home Study School (I’m completely homeschooled and proudly Catholic, if anyone wants to exploit my experiences at all 😉) and they had a pretty good course back then! (Unfortunately, they changed the course to be easier this past year, so bummer, but I think it is still pretty good, just less thorough.)

I’d suggest it, if you think it might work for you!

Honestly, once you get the basic structure of how to order the words in the sentence and the basic forms, it is almost easy! (And for creating a language, you can just ignore the exceptions and stuff and make it much simpler, heh.)

R.M. Archer
                          @r-m-archer

@elishavet-pidyon

Viking braids are great. My sisters and I actually do a variation of one of them fairly often.

Ooh, nice!

Oh, nice question! They have developed much of their skills fighting the other group, but much of them were developed before the Dehgavor. You see, there used to only be many unconnected tribes, with most of them being raiders, but after some particular event took place, the most connected groups banded together and formed the Dehgavor, a a practical nation that agreed against raiding. The raiding groups were offended, to put it lightly, and when some of the Dehgavor defended an Eirtanian vessel (this nation has been of old entangled with the Dehgavor groups) against a raid…. The Dehgavor have developed their smuggling and fighting skills to aid their “brethren of the land” (Eirtan) so, they have both developed them before and after, you could say. 😉

Ooh, that’s interesting! Especially with the Dehgavor defending the Eirtan; that sounds like a really interesting dynamic.

What your sea-dwelling folk do/ what is their occupation?

They’re mostly merchants. They used to be a thriving trading nation with a whole land-based territory, but a vast chunk of their territory was destroyed in earthquakes/tsunamis/floods/etc. and sank beneath the sea and now the Naftin (this culture) dwell in boats since they’re designed to work with the sea and stay afloat. They lost a lot of their wealth, and they still can’t hold onto too much of it since they have only their boats to fill, but they still work to ferry goods from nation to nation and they trade in some ocean-based commodities as well.

@EmilySF

Thank you so much for the advice! I might try that for different cultures/nations in one world! (I have three major ones, atm.)

You’re welcome!

I have (*counts*) five different languages, besides the universal one (I think) and a similar amount of writing systems (based on the same basic runes, just different styles) and those come together with the location of the cultures/nations to create 10, maybe 12, different cultures, and so based on the different culture and language, that method could work quite well!

Oh wow! That’s super cool!

Horsegirl13
                            @horsegirl13
                              • Total Posts: 11

So my WIP isn’t very far along yet and I’m kind of stuck. It basically is based off of an Irish legend about a horse that rises up out of the sea. In my WIP, this horse lives in an underwater kingdom that is in serious danger.

I’m stuck on world building because I don’t know where to start. Any suggestions?

EmilySF
                              @emilysf

@horsegirl13

What sort of underwater things can you imagine? What is the government system for the fish and sharks? Do fish have to hide from their predators, like sharks, still? How do they manage that? Does that affect travel and commerce? Is there much trading between the different places and groups? Is there magic of some sort that protects certain areas or allows  corals and such to grow in places they normally wouldn’t? How are the different species handled when enforcing justice? Do different species have different moral laws? What customs are different from species to species? How does a fish see the horse as compared to a crab or shark viewing the horse? What are whales to the ocean? How does this all play into the story? Is the kingdom protected by magic that’s starting to wear off somehow or break and that’s allowing sharks or such to threaten the kingdom? What does this mean for other places, if there are different kingdoms etc. similarly protected?

Your story seems like it could be a very fascinating one! I wish you luck, and I hope these questions help! (And I hope you might answer a few because I’m really curious about what the answers might be.)

Horsegirl13
                                @horsegirl13
                                  • Total Posts: 11

Yes! All those questions are super helpful! It will take me a bit to answer some of them, but I will. It certainly has my imagination going. Thx so much!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >