The sign of the four

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions The sign of the four

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Hannah A. Krynicki
    @hannah-krynicki
      • Total Posts: 81

@daeus Sorry, I haven’t been paying attention! Vacation really threw off my schedule, and I just finished another college course… But I agree with all your and @hope’s points, and I would say that the expectations idea goes for all books, and movies too. When I start a new Shakespeare, I expect something completely different than what I would expect from Hemingway.

On another note, I’ve been surprised at how much exposition Doyle can squeeze into a straightforward narrative style without boring or confusing the reader; most of the time, the characters are not around for significant events, e.g. the death of Miss Morton’s father and the mysterious letters. However, Doyle keeps the audience interested by reporting the events as if in real-time, with the characters inserting their thoughts and feelings. In the same way, he uses Watson as a sort of stand-in for the reader: Watson is part of whatever crazy situation Holmes is in, but Watson can translate it, see the human side. I suppose it all boils down to the fact that people stay interested in the story because Watson helps us relate even to the most outrageous situations and characters. What do y’all think?

Sarah Hoven
      @sarah-h
        • Total Posts: 669

@Daeus – I haven’t been able to keep up, and I just realized that doing the Bible Challenge means I won’t be able to do this for a little while. I’m not sure when I’ll join back in. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to contribute more to this discussion.

Mallory O’Bier
        @overcomer
          • Total Posts: 550

I’ll try to join in this evening, @daeus . I’ve been real busy between vacation and studies … haven’t been doing much reading.

Jada Morrison
          @jadamae
            • Total Posts: 199

I finished the book within the first couple of days, so I didn’t really have many things to add because I read it pretty quickly 🙂 This isn’t quite about writing style, but one thing that really surprised me was how Sherlock uses cocaine. I had never even read that word in a 19th century novel.

Hope Ann
            @hope
              • Total Posts: 1092

@jadamae Yes, and what is really interesting is that cocaine was legal when the books were written. I’m not sure how widely used it was, but Watson protesting about it is probably similar to a character in a modern book protesting about something like smoking. It was something people could and did use at times.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Sarah Spradlin
              @spradlin
                • Total Posts: 189

Definitely dropped the ball on this. Sorry I was absent for this book (which I still need to read now). I’ll try and jump in on the next book! 🙂

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Mallory O’Bier
                @overcomer
                  • Total Posts: 550

Me too, @hannah-krynicki ! Vacation swept me away. I’ve just been so busy! I may have to take a break from the book club for a while and catch up some things … like studies and writing. Writing is good. 🙂

Hannah A. Krynicki
                  @hannah-krynicki

@overcomer It’s almost unbelievably hard to get back into routine, isn’t it? But I have gotten to do some writing since then, so that’s good. 🙂

Ingrid
                    @ingridrd
                      • Total Posts: 830

Agh!!!! I have been on vacation the last few weeks. Bad excuse, I know. I’ll join in when I catch up. 🙂

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Hannah A. Krynicki
                      @hannah-krynicki

Hallo all people! I guess we all needed to take a little vacation this summer, eh? 🙂 Anyway, I’ll be introducing my little sister Grace to the forums this week. She’s a little nervous about getting involved in KP forums, and since you all are the bestistest folks on the internet, I wanted to give you a heads-up that another fledgling writer needs breaking in. Maybe we can even talk her into joining the book club…

Greta
                        @gretald
                          • Total Posts: 450

@hannah-krynicki, Oh, cool! So excited to meet your sister! 😉

Greta
                          @gretald
                            • Total Posts: 450

And @daeus, Sorry I haven’t been participating in discussions the last couple weeks. I, like @ingridrd, have been on vacation. 😉

Hannah A. Krynicki
                            @hannah-krynicki

@gretald Thanks! I’m sure she’ll have fun once she gets into it.

BlueJay
                              @bluejay
                                • Total Posts: 1622

@daeus Are you going to do another book soon??? Just curious. 🙂

Daeus
                                @daeus
                                  • Total Posts: 4238

@bluejay Aaaaaaahh, yes… Another book. Ok, so I’d really like to do another book, but as it turns out, my schedule is tighter than I thought it would be. Unfortunately, I just can’t handle a book club anymore. However, if anyone would like to take the position over for me, I’d be perfectly happy to see the work carried on.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >