The Narrow Path Trilogy Book I: The Cost

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests The Narrow Path Trilogy Book I: The Cost

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 291 total)
  • Author
    Ellette Giselle
    @ellette-giselle
      • Total Posts: 1093

@linus-smallprint

Hey, I had an interesting thought……. Is Alan left handed?

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Linus Smallprint
      @linus-smallprint
        • Total Posts: 401

Okay, I did not end up going today.

@ellette-giselle
        , @keilah-h

OH MY GOODNESS!! I love the picture! I think that’s your best one yet!!! – Ellette

wow great picture!!! – Keilah

Thanks! That is my most recent TNPT drawing.

Oh goodness. I dislike germaphobic guys. 😛

Oh. *Goes to wash hands for 45th time today – Reason: touched the ‘W’ key for the first time today.*

Eric is not too extreme of a germophobic, and just from reading the story, you might not even be able to tell.

Hey, I had an interesting thought……. Is Alan left handed?

Yes. I often joke around that while the world goes on about diversity and inclusion, everybody forgets about left-handed people, except for those who make Legend of Zelda or Chrono Trigger video games. (I am not entirely sure, but I think all the playable characters in Chrono Trigger are lefties.) I’m also left-handed myself, so I made Alan, Oliver, and Charles lefties. All of the other major characters are right-handed. Why do you ask?

Ellette Giselle
        @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

Because, your country seems to have a little superstition what with the wizards and all that. In the olden days, (which your book is fantasy so i can’t quite tell the era) People were really cruel to lefties because they believed it was a sign of demonic inhabitants or the practice of witchcraft. Soooo, I thought that might be an interesting thing to teas out…… They would try to convince the child/teen’s brain to switch sides because they believed the left-handedness was demonic. They would do all sorts of things like burn the kids left hand, cut crosses on the left palm, or all sorts of other things. It could be something interesting and another little handicap for Alan to have to work though.

Or not. It was just an idea that came to me when I remembered that he was a lefty.

Keilah H.
          @keilah-h
            • Total Posts: 4732

@linus-smallprint I know, right? Society goes on and on about “inclusion” nonsense, and all the while ignore the people who really should be included.

In video games, especially first-person ones such as shooters or Minecraft-type, I can kinda understand because most people are right-handed and thus game makers design their characters to be right-handed by default to reflect that (although I know Minecraft has a setting to switch it, and I’m pretty sure others do). But yeah, I like it when left-handed characters show up in fiction and everyone’s like “whaaaat? He’s left-handed???”

@ellette-giselle
            STARS AND SHADOWS That’s horrible!! Why????? WHY?????

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ellette Giselle
            @ellette-giselle

@keilah-h

Why did I suggest it or why did they do it?

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h

@ellette-giselle Why would someone do such a thing??? Chop off a kid’s hand just cause they’re left-handed?

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ellette Giselle
                @ellette-giselle

@keilah-h

I didn’t say that. I only said they burned their hands and cut their palms. They would also brake a lefty’s hand if they thought he was dangerous or they were especially cruel.

They did it because they are lost sinners and were listening to the devil.

It’s prejudice and superstition in one of it’s mots violent forms.

You see, The Devil himself was considered left-handed, and he and other evil spirits were always conjured up by left-handed gestures. There was a lot of hate against the left hand because of this. The word sinister actually means “left”; the German word linkisch (related to the left) means awkward; and the Mandarin Chinese words for left have become synonymous with wrong and incorrect.

While a lefty was young they would tie his left hand behind his back to force him to learn with the right before the evil spirits could get a hold of him and use his left hand.

Once he hit teenage years, the child was punished for his “refusal to turn from evil” and that was when they would begin to disfigure the left hand to “protect” him from becoming evil. If they still could not force him to switch hands, then the end of all this could quite possibly lead to death if he was caught doing anything in the least ways suspicious  such as whistling in a boat, lingering outside at night, staring too long at the moon, crossing paths with a black cat, etc.

So yeah, it’s quite evil, but it happened, and it could make for an interesting twist.

Ellette Giselle
                  @ellette-giselle

@keilah-h

Clarification, I don’t believe all that about witchcraft and the devil involved with left hand. That was just the belief back then. ;D

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h

@ellette-giselle wow that’s… still terrible

Kinda interesting though how all of these unrelated cultures (Latin, German, Chinese, etc) all equated “left” with “wrong” separately, unless it came about once those cultures all had contact.

Don’t worry, I didn’t think you believed that nonsense lol

Ellette Giselle
                      @ellette-giselle

@keilah-h

Yeah, I know. it’s horrid.

Anyhow, we’ll see what Linus decides to do with all this info. lol

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@ellette-giselle haha yeah

Linus Smallprint
                          @linus-smallprint
                            • Total Posts: 401

@ellette-giselle

Because, your country seems to have a little superstition what with the wizards and all that. In the olden days, (which your book is fantasy so i can’t quite tell the era) People were really cruel to lefties because they believed it was a sign of demonic inhabitants or the practice of witchcraft.

Hmm. I don’t think the citizens of Klaw would go that far. Rour has given a legitimate reason for not trusting wizards, and while he has taken that to the extreme, he is not very superstitious. However, other cultures in this world are more superstitious and would belive this. For example, gorbs are superstitious. The reason why Oliver and Aaron were forced to become wizards is that they have a stripe that vaguely looks like a feather, which the other gorbs interpret to mean that they will make powerful wizards. Maybe Oliver being left-handed added to this as well. Kunulfs might be like this as well. They mainly hate wizards and have sworn to protect other races from them. They do their best to wipe magic off of the face of the planet. I could see them being superstitious when looking for signs of magic.

Thanks for the suggestion!

@keilah-h

In video games, especially first-person ones such as shooters or Minecraft-type, I can kinda understand because most people are right-handed and thus game makers design their characters to be right-handed by default to reflect that (although I know Minecraft has a setting to switch it, and I’m pretty sure others do). But yeah, I like it when left-handed characters show up in fiction and everyone’s like “whaaaat? He’s left-handed???”

I like the scene in The Princess Bride where Inigo and The Man in Black duel, but when both characters start out using their left hand and reveal that they are right-handed, it is a bit of a letdown. It is clever, but 90% of the world is right-handed, so I kind of go, ‘ah, of course’. That is why I switched it up when Alan duels with Oliver close to the start of this book.

By the way, I discovered today is Lefthanders day (according to Microsoft at least). What a coincidence!

Ellette Giselle
                            @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

By the way, I discovered today is Lefthanders day (according to Microsoft at least). What a coincidence!

But then that makes right-handers day ALL THE OTHER days of the year!!! 😀

Ellette Giselle
                              @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

Ooo, we haven’t met the Kunulfs yet. If they go after Alan (and Oliver) for being lefthanded you can use their terror to scare the reader.

Ok, I’m done giving un-asked for ideas.

Sorry.

😀

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h

@linus-smallprint haha yeah Microsoft’s day calendar thingy can be useful sometimes….

and ha I didn’t even notice that with Alan and Oliver in the beginning.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 291 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >