The long and tedious character naming process…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters The long and tedious character naming process…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Euodia
    @euodia-vision
      • Total Posts: 1306

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Thanks! Ah yes I love them tooooo, but yes, it’s very hard trying to pull this off right XD

Ahhh thanks so much! I really like those names! how did you know I love ‘K’ names??? XD

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Euodia
      @euodia-vision

@light-warrior-pen

Oh thanks! I like those!

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Euodia
        @euodia-vision

@esther-c

*sighs* ’tis true.

Okay! I mean, I could change the spelling of Donovan to make it more… fantastical? XD Like Donovyn. Idk. Thanks for the input! 😁

Euodia
          @euodia-vision

@whalekeeper

I like all of those! (especially Dargan) Thanks so much!

Euodia
            @euodia-vision

@orielle21

OoOoO! I didn’t even think of looking into Elvish words! One suggestion I found online came from Tolkien I believe, but it was ‘Dolwethil’ which means ‘dark shadow’ but I thought that might be too hard to pronounce for readers. XD Thanks for the suggestions!

Also, what does ‘Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo’ mean?

Euodia
              @euodia-vision

@freedomwriter76, @lightoverdarkness6, @thearcaneaxiom, @gwyndalf-the-wise, @light-warrior-pen, @esther-c, @whalekeeper, @orielle21

Sooo, I made a character collage for him real quick, didn’t know if it would help make any of the names everyone suggested jump out. XD

Felicity
                @felicity
                  • Total Posts: 811

@euodia-vision

Just stumbled upon this topic…

I like the idea of changing the spelling of a non-fantasy name into something that fits. Like your example of Donovyn! Also, the collage is really neat!

This might sound weird but the top picture of him looks like a K name and the bottom looks like Donovyn. 😁 Names are so hard!

He must increase, but I must decrease.

TheArcaneAxiom
                  @thearcaneaxiom
                    • Total Posts: 1250

@euodia-vision

Love the board! So if your going off of real world roots, and his old name was Kiran, meaning ray of light, then that would be the kiran from Indian origin, right? So perhaps you could get another word from India. Maybe you could incorporate his old name into it as well, saying that he was once a ray of light, but now is overshadowed, dimed, ect.

A word for dim is manda, or shadow is savali. Maybe you could name him something like Makir, Kirmand, Kisal, Kisaval, Kirval, Savikir, or any other possible variation or word. Do any of those sound intriguing?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Light Warrior Pen
                    @light-warrior-pen
                      • Total Posts: 103

@euodia-vision

Given his college, he looks like a Donovyn to me.

This girl is armed with books, coffee, and writing accoutrements!

Esther
                      @esther-c
                        • Total Posts: 3202

@euodia-vision

Okay! I mean, I could change the spelling of Donovan to make it more… fantastical? XD Like Donovyn. Idk. Thanks for the input! 😁

That would work really well!

Glad I could help! 😀

I really like the collage!! Donovyn seems to fit well with the pic.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Light
                        @lightoverdarkness6
                          • Total Posts: 1626

@euodia-vision

Thanks!

Of course! 😀

Oh cool! Wait, so how did you end up finding the name? 😂

😂😂 I actually just went to a name generator for villains and searched and searched and searched until I found a name that fit him.

Oooo, I like those! As I’ve been going through name options I’ve been trying to figure out which names feel like they’d ‘fit’ in a fantasy story. I mean, any name could be in a fantasy story but then like, Dwayne (which means ‘dark one’) doesn’t fit? Ya know? 😂 It’s weird and complicated. Thus leading to me taking days to name my character. XD

Haha, yeah, I totally get that. Hey, it took me a month at least so 🤣

As long as you’re happy with it! 😉

Sooo, I made a character collage for him real quick, didn’t know if it would help make any of the names everyone suggested jump out. XD

*Gasp* *fan girl scream* AHHH

*looks around* No one saw that…right? XDXD

Sorry, but the only name that’s jumping at me is Halbrand…XD

(Also, I just realized I NEVER responded to your post in your ‘start here’ forum…so sorry!! *face palm* 😅

I’ll go do that lol)

#HugRikerSquad

Orielle2023
                          @orielle21
                            • Total Posts: 173

@euodia-vision

Also, what does ‘Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo’ mean?

So Frodo says it to Gildor Inglorion when they meet on the start of the Hobbits’ journey. It means “ A star shines on the hour of our meeting.” (See page 79 of The Fellowship of the Ring).

🤩

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Gwyndalf the Wise
                            @gwyndalf-the-wise
                              • Total Posts: 404

@euodia-vision

You’re welcome! =D Indeed.

XD I didn’t, I just thought it’d be cool if the first letter of his dark name was the same as his original name.

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
                              (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Euodia
                              @euodia-vision

@felicity

I like the idea of changing the spelling of a non-fantasy name into something that fits. Like your example of Donovyn! Also, the collage is really neat!

Okay! Thank youuuuu!

This might sound weird but the top picture of him looks like a K name and the bottom looks like Donovyn. 😁 Names are so hard!

Haha yeeeeah, I think I chose one of the pictures that I’ll use for his ‘Kiran’ collage instead of his dark one. XD

Euodia
                                @euodia-vision

@thearcaneaxiom

Thank youuu! Ohh, I think I was confused when you asked if I prefer ‘real world roots’ or not. I didn’t know you were asking about roots in a specific culture. Oops! 😅 My goal is not to make all of the names geared towards one culture, but in general, just be intentional with the meaning of everyone’s name. Like, as long as the name means ‘dark’ or something similar I’m fine with it being Irish, Indian, American, anything! Did that make sense? Sorry for the confusion.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >