The Keeper of the Lost Cities

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions The Keeper of the Lost Cities

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 2588

@folith-feolin

Okay, cool, thanks for that amazingly detailed post XD I feel like this reply is wimpy in comparison. It sounds great, I’ll check it out!!

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Folith-Feolin
      @folith-feolin
        • Total Posts: 310

@felicity
        magic in Harry Potter is a bloodline thing (if you remember/know biology it’s basically a Recessive trait) therefore I never thought it would make someone want to do magic as they would know they don’t magic same as kotlc won’t make you try to be an elf because your not an elf or stormlight wont make you try to be a knight radiant because we don’t have spren

Folith-Feolin
        @folith-feolin
          • Total Posts: 310

@whalekeeper
          Thanks

I was scared I would be too crazy also I have always wanted to write one of those things like on common sense media. I do believe I got carried away though.

Felicity
          @felicity
            • Total Posts: 811

@whalekeeper

I think it’s awesome that your dad let you research and determine that it wasn’t the right thing for you 😊 I guess you could say it’s a combination of things for you, and if it’s not your thing on a preference level, that’s cool.

Yes, definitely a combo for me. 😀 I don’t read much fantasy except LOTR and Chronicles of Narnia. Historical/contemporary fiction is generally my cup of tea. (Except for the Green Ember by S. D. Smith which I really like. Haha. This is confusing.)

In other words, it was more of a genre preference than a right vr wrong one.

HP is indeed more detailed when it comes to the magic. And you have a good point when it comes to readers potentially trying magic themselves. HP magic, though, can’t be blamed for that.

Yes, good point and interesting frying pan example. I totally agree with that. So HP magic can’t be blamed, what about the author? J. K. Rowling wrote about magic in such a way that would make her readers very interested in it. Obviously we all are responsible for our own decisions, but is she responsible in any way if one of her readers goes astray? Just curious what you think.

It could be influential, but it isn’t actively trying to encourage dark magic.

Ok so maybe my question above is irrelevant. That’s good that HP doesn’t encourage satanic magic. I actually used to think it did. That’s a HP stereotype that a lot of people believe, and the reason why they don’t read it and warn others not to. (me)

But your opinion is your opinion ❤ I’m not going to force you to read HP, or even going to ask it.

Heh…I wouldn’t even if you did. 😀

Um, I’m not entirely certain on that… I think it’s just always been there, like an inanimate object. If you mean, ‘where do wizards get their abilities?’, it’s mostly through bloodline\chance genes\that sort of thing.

Well, I mean, they have to be getting the supernatural powers from somewhere. Either it’s in them when they’re born, or they harness it from the atmosphere, 😀 or they get it from a good god or a bad god. If a book/movie portrays a character getting powers from a demon, obviously I wouldn’t read that. So i was just trying to rule that out.

And yeah, I’m not offended either XD thanks for clarifying that.

Great! Fun discussion, right? And if it gets really heated, we can just agree to disagree and talk about the weather after. 😀 😀

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Felicity
            @felicity
              • Total Posts: 811

@folith-feolin

Ok, I see. I’m Harry Potter ignorant. Thanks for explaining. 😀

He must increase, but I must decrease.

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12
                • Total Posts: 6645

@whalekeeper @folith-feolin

YAY I CAN HELP WITH THIS!!

So my father is preacher, and a teacher on liberties, and finding your own, etc.

He does teach against Witchcraft, and believes Harry Potter delves into that, but also believes people must find their own liberties and we’re not going to hate or shun you for reading it obviously, but we don’t obviously.

And the reason is, there is a difference between “magic” and full on witchcraft, even in fiction.

He recommends a book called Fantasy and your Family, if you ever want to understand why it’s singled out along with sometimes other books, while other things aren’t. 😊

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

Madelyn
                @madelyn
                  • Total Posts: 115

@starofthenorth

Hey-oo!

I have so many replies to catch up on here… *facepalm*

But anyhow, I had to hop on here, ’cause I had a similar experience with the series!!

I honestly stopped it because the romance was getting uncomfortable and there were several inappropriate scenes/comments. I can’t remember what book I stopped on… it’s been years… XD

Aside from that, I didn’t like the theme of the books. The way the brokenness of the characters was portrayed was dark and introspective. I didn’t see a message of hope shine through the hurt, or the characters learning and being built up from their tough experiences. And as a reader, I certainly didn’t feel built up or encouraged by it.

I don’t remember being disturbed by the mind powers, however, it’s been a while since I read it. It could be that if I read it now, I would agree with you XD

I will say that the plot and world-building were very good, so it was an engaging series! While I wouldn’t recommend it, I understand how many can enjoy it for the quality of storytelling it possesses.

As far as breaking rules… it’s been too long since I’ve read the series to remember all that XD But I still agree with you on those points.

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Erica
                  @starofthenorth
                    • Total Posts: 199

@madelyn

Hey there! Haven’t talked to you in a while 😊

I honestly stopped it because the romance was getting uncomfortable and there were several inappropriate scenes/comments.

I noticed that a lot of people on the library website commented about that. I only read the first three books, so I didn’t get into that a lot.

Aside from that, I didn’t like the theme of the books. The way the brokenness of the characters was portrayed was dark and introspective. I didn’t see a message of hope shine through the hurt, or the characters learning and being built up from their tough experiences. And as a reader, I certainly didn’t feel built up or encouraged by it.

Same! I didn’t see much hope or possibility of redemption or anything. And I feel like that’s something a book really needs.

I don’t remember being disturbed by the mind powers, however, it’s been a while since I read it. It could be that if I read it now, I would agree with you XD

I guess it was more Bronte’s use of his powers to hurt Sophie that disturbed me, and then the ability restrictor. Otherwise I was fine with the powers.

I will say that the plot and world-building were very good, so it was an engaging series! While I wouldn’t recommend it, I understand how many can enjoy it for the quality of storytelling it possesses.

I totally agree! And I’m kinda bummed that I’m not going to keep reading it, because the characters and plot were enjoyable. Oh well. I’d rather not get nightmares lol 😂

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >