The History Society or The Time Travelers Portal

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Historical The History Society or The Time Travelers Portal

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Koshka
    @koshka
      • Total Posts: 1424

Historical Sewing Resource List

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Pidyon
      @elishavet-pidyon
        • Total Posts: 1013

@koshka

This is brilliant, thank you for the invitation.

I do historical sewing too. As of right now, I’m working on a lower class southern civil war reproduction. I’m still in the base layers, unfortunately.

But after this I want to do some Saxon kirtles and mantles SO BADLY. However, I think my biggest, farthest away, sewing dream is some Biblical Levitical clothing. Yeah, that’s a long way off.

As for recent rabbit holes?

*Slow smile*

The Aliyah Bet and the Haganah (as well as the Haganah Bet or Irgun). That’s because I just reread some books over that time, and it caught my interest.

I didn’t realize that it started during WWII. It was really amazing to see the intricate organization that brought literal thousands out of Europe. It was also interesting to see how relations between two peoples (the Israelis and the British) could change so quickly. As a book I poked into years ago said, the British had begun as liberators in WWI but ended as occupiers in the 1940s. A final point I found interesting, was how boring American names for wars are. I love America, but we were not creative. XD

Other research has been over Proto-protestants in the Medieval age. However, since that study was for a college essay, I have very little I want to say on the matter. XD

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings
          • Total Posts: 2794

@koshka

Thanks for making this topic! I might check it every now and then to see what yall are talking about. My world is pretty much made up, so I get to make the history. I have a couple easter eggs in mind that might hint it is set in a future version of our world, but lol idk if I’ll include them.

I kinda wish I needed to do history research now 😂

へびは かっこいい です!

Koshka
          @koshka

Prior Attire blog article

Koshka
            @koshka

@mineralizedwritings

*Gasp* In our world? I did not see that coming. =O XD

Pop in whenever you want! We all need to do research, even if it’s not needed. =)

Koshka
              @koshka

@felicity

I got all the links in, although I had to submit them one at a time.

Folith-Feolin
                @folith-feolin
                  • Total Posts: 310

This seems like a great topic, I love history. (In fact I  am in Global II at the moment (we just had a quiz)

Elishavet Pidyon
                  @elishavet-pidyon
                    • Total Posts: 1013

@freedomwriter76

Battle for castle Itter. … it was a battle where American and Wehrmacht troops joined together to save high profile French prisoners from the Waffen-SS’ clutches.

Weren’t the Wehrmacht German?

I thought it was really interesting! And great story inspiration. XD

Absolutely! I’m intrigued.

Berga Concentration Camp.

That is interesting. And heart rending. (Don’t send either of them! [Although to be completely honest, I thought you already had. XD I was glad to hear there was hope.])

Something interesting that you don’t find in the WWII history books.

History books don’t often hold the most fascinating parts of our tale.

Heuaktion.

Ugh. By the way, have you heard of the operation (I don’t know it’s name) where young Polish children were kidnapped and taken into German orphanages as Ayran orphans? It’s all nasty.

Again, starting to be book inspiration…and more character development for my boy Jezyk…

Please do write it! (Doesn’t Jezyk die get injured in the main trilogy?)

So yeah…those were some of my WWII research things…honestly, I want to know more about them…

So do I!

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

MineralizedWritings
                    @mineralizedwritings
                      • Total Posts: 2794

@koshka

*Gasp* In our world? I did not see that coming. =O XD

Lol 🤣 idk if I want to include that or not. It would imply that a large number of us… um… died in a civil war sometime in our future? Not sure if I want to go there lol.

And yeah! I’ll probably eavesdrop here a bit 🙂

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
                      @felicity
                        • Total Posts: 811

@freedomwriter76

And yeah, I was kinda thinking about it… 😉 But not Ezra…tho I do have an actual American Jew…but I think I love him too much for him to be sent to Berga. XD

Whew! *sigh of relief* 😀

Oh, yes, Jezyk. He’s actually German, however…he was stationed in Poland for a while and fell in love with a Polish girl there…who then mysteriously disappeared…

Oh sorry, Jezyk kind of looked like it could be a Polish name. Disappeared…hmmmm

…and she’s gonna show back up in the book.

Ooo great idea.

Jezyk is only 16…and horrified by the world around him.

Poor boy!!! 🙁

Because I’m totally “not” planning a book for Jezyk and Edyta…XD

Ah, I see. I know exactly what you mean. (I started writing ONE book. Which turned into two…which turned into a trilogy. Then I thought, “that’s it, I’ll stop.” But then I wrote another short novella, and another, and I called them “side books”. One morning recently, I was washing the dishes, and the official fourth book just came to me in all it’s imaginative glory, and as a scrambled upstairs to write down the idea I scolded and argued with myself the entire time. “I’m not REALLY going to write a fourth book.”     “Then why are you writing these ideas down?”      “Oh this is just in case.”      “Yeah right.”   )

Anyway, you get the point. That really happened. I’m sure you’ve felt the same way!!! 😉 😀

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Felicity
                        @felicity

@koshka

It is wonderful fun! I’d recommend starting with your base layers (chemise drawers, corset, petticoats…all the ‘unmentionables’), that way you can get a feel for how the patterns and fabric work without worrying about messing something up. The base layers will be covered, so if the sewing looks awful no one will know. Also, all the outer layers will need to be made fitted over those base layers, so it’s important to start ‘at the skin’ if that makes sense.

Ok, yes. *nods*. I see what you mean.

As for fabric, I’ll drop a couple links to some lists I use. You can find good fabric almost anywhere, you just have to be more careful in some places. There are also some weaves which weren’t made yet, so that’s another thing to be careful about.

Yes, like you wouldn’t want to make your dress out of polyester! 😀 I would think linen, calico, muslin etc, as long as it’s natural fibers, right? Or maybe it’s even more specific than that.

Also, Prior Attire is run by an amazing historical interpretor couple, that are experts in their field. Their YouTube channel is great for research, it’s what actually got me into historical costuming. (She does start out with the base layer, shift or chemise, so it can be a bit awkward at times, but she she makes sure it’s clean. Other content ishues would be British slang, humor, and some profanity in a few videos.)

Thanks for the recommendation!! I’ll check them out. Thanks for the rating too. 😀

Felicity
                          @felicity

@koshka

Thanks for the links!!! I’m checking them out. Sorry if it was a pain!

Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3202

@koshka

Great idea for a topic!! I’ll definitely be on this thread as I research more my Civil War idea!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Koshka
                              @koshka

@felicity

Not a problem! And if you come across anything you’d like to share, I’m just a beginner myself so I’d appreciate it.

Felicity
                                @felicity

@koshka

Ok! I’ll keep that in mind!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >