The Chat Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 6,511 through 6,525 (of 6,574 total)
  • Author
    freedom
    @freed_and_redeemed
      • Total Posts: 658

@rae @ellette-giselle @keilah-h @mineralizedwritings @esther-c @anyone-else

I’m thinking about making something (mostly for fun) that compares characters from Freedom’s Fire to characters in other media (mostly movies tbh) and i was wondering what characters from, like, Marvel and LOTR y’all would compare each character to👀

(With a focus on Leon, Riker, Fin, Isaiah, Hans, and Erich mostly…and also prob Aadelheide)

I already have a Marvel character figured out for Riker, Hans, and Erich, but I was wondering who y’all would think of for other characters, and who from LOTRA do you think fit my characters 👀

Can’t wait to see what y’all think of

What is strength?
      Strength, my son, is being who God has called you to be.

Ellette Giselle
      @ellette-giselle
        • Total Posts: 1072

I’m going to kill something! I wrote out the longest reply ever, and KP ATE IT!!!!

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Ellette Giselle
        @ellette-giselle

@freed_and_redeemed

Okay. here we go again.

Lord of the Rings spoilers, depending on how far you are in the books.

Riker is Faramir. They both had cruel, unloving fathers. Riker was weaker then Faramir to start with, but by the end they both drew about even. They both resisted evil in the end, doing what was right rather then what would bring them acceptance and honor. There are other things to, and those of you who know Faramir will know what I mean.

Fin has to be Captain Beregond. Now, the movie cut him out. (*fumes over here.*) So here is his story for anyone who hasn’t read the book.

Beregond, son of Baranor, was the first Captain of the White Company, the body guard of Faramir, Prince of Ithilien, and previously, a Guard of the Citadel in Minas Tirith. He is best known for rescuing Faramir from the madness of Denethor during the Siege of Gondor. He had two sons, Bergil and Borlas, with an unnamed wife. When Peregrin Took came to the city in March 3019, Beregond and his son Bergil served as his guides in Minas Tirith.

During the Siege of Gondor, Beregond received news from Pippin that Denethor intended to kill Faramir. Leaving his post, he fought the door guards of the place where Denethor had taken Faramir in order to reach him, until the arrival of Gandalf and Pippin, whereupon Faramir was saved. After protecting Faramir, Beregond carried him to the Houses of Healing and stood guard over him.

Beregond then traveled with Aragorn’s army to the Black Gate of Mordor to challenge the forces of Sauron. They served under Prince Imrahil, and during the Battle of the Black Gate Beregond was nearly killed.

After the War of the Ring, Beregond was brought before the newly crowned King to answer for the abandonment of his post, as well as the death of those who stood in his way as he raced to rescue Faramir. Recognizing that what he did was out of love for his lord, the king did not impose the death penalty upon him. However, Beregond was banished from Minas Tirith forever. Never allowed to0 return to his home.

So, if you still can’t see the connection, I’ll pull it out. They were both loyal, brave men. They were friends to the friendless. They were willing to risk everything to do what was right and save the lives of others. They were faithful. And, they both payed dearly for what they did. Fin with his life, Beregond with the loss of the land and home he loved.

Leon.

Okay, i’m sorry, but it’s Boromir.

They both started out as great characters. They were both physically strong men. But they had weak characters. In the end, both fell to temptation and despair. Their lack of strength within was their undoing.

I don’t know Erich really well, so I’m not really sure if I can say who. No one comes to mind.

Aadelheide is Rosie. (From the book, mind you.) No explanation needed if you know the characters.

Isaiah is a Sam.

Both of them were strong from within. They had good character, they were loyal. They loved even when others around them were unlovable. They continued to try and help their friends, even though those friends pushed them away. There’s tones more I could say, but I think it’s clear.

Hans is Saruman.

Both of them did everything to gain power. They took and took and took, killing whoever stood in their way. Then, when they lost it all, they literally became nothing. Both turned into some sort of creature trying to cling to the last shards of their shattered glory, and both died. Saruman stabbed in the back by a friend. Hans by his own hand.

That’s what I got for ya.

Elishavet Elroi
          @elishavet-pidyon
            • Total Posts: 1056

@freed_and_redeemed

Oh, funsies!

This is a great idea! XD Unfortunately, your characters are actually pretty unique, so finding a match here will take a bit.

@ellette-giselle

Faramir and Beregond! My sister and I have been re-read/listening to the trilogy again and I had forgotten how much I liked Beregond. Ever noticed the illustration of childlike faith in his son Bergil?

Anyway, my thoughts…

Fin would fit as Beregond or Faramir because he does what is best for those he loves even though it means great sacrifice toward himself. I say Faramir because he is a leader of men, and I see their personalities as being very similar. Elllette’s theory is pretty sturdy though.

Note: Beregond is given by the king to live in a beautiful place with those he loves best. I think Fin’s King does the same in a different way.

Riker. I do see the Faramir connection. There are several places where both help those who are pretty much doomed, but hide the fact from others who would not understand. One thing I’m not sure about is that everyone under Faramir loves him and would jump off a cliff if he told them to. Riker does have this kind of influence, but I don’t remember it being very large. Also, while Faramir is humble like Riker, he does not struggle with guilt. (At least, not in the book. Grief he has, and feelings of inadequacy.) I’m just not sure about that one.

Leon. I can see him as Boromir, although not for the same reasons exactly. Both try to do good, endure long periods of temptation before falling horribly, but are redeemed in the end. However, their driving reasons for what they do are different. Boromir is driven by pride, and Leon by… Fear? That’s what I always saw. (Cue Promise of Zion rant) I’ll have to think about that one. There are multiple characters in the Silmarilion that would fit. I just never finished that book, so I don’t know. XD (Never really started it either.)

Erich is… I don’t know. I’ll have to think about that one too. I feel like his backstory is really significant to his character, and would need to be mirrored. Whoever he matched would also be hurt for a long time and looking for revenge, but hopefully he e saved in the end. But then if just the personality matches that might be enough.

Adelheide as Rosie is a precious mental image! I definitely see the connection. She gives hope without realizing it and loves her family wholeheartedly. They both end differently, but it’s still sweet.

Isaiah could be Sam… But I see him as more of a mentor character like Prince Imrahil. Noble of heart, gentle in spirit yet fearless before evil, and wishes people would take first aid more seriously. XD Plus, he faces darkness to save those he loves – several times.

Hans is Saruman. It’s pretty much perfect.

And that’s what I have for you for now! 🙂 Honestly, it all depends on how you perceive these different characters.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Elishavet Elroi
            @elishavet-pidyon

Also….

Leon is oddly like Samwise.(Or at least, last I knew of him he was.) While their plotlines are pretty completely different, they have similar strength and weaknesses. Bothare protective of those they love, have a bit of a temper, and both struggle with hopelessness, unbelief, and selfishness. The difference is in direction. Leon lets his hurt and anger separate him from his lifeline(faith in God and His plan) while Sam keeps fighting to keep his faith(that there’s a purpose behind everything and good will overcome in the end). In the end, Leon will overcome his doubt and bitterness, and so gain the freedom that Sam got while still in the land of the shadow.

So there. Do I need to run for my life? 😉

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h
                • Total Posts: 4721

@freed_and_redeemed ooh interesting! That sounds really fun.

Sadly I don’t know all of the LOTR characters well enough to add to this debate.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

RAE
                @rae
                  • Total Posts: 3555

@freed_and_redeemed

Riker is Bucky. Hands down.

Not sure in LOTR, Tolkien didn’t write many trauma charries.

Fin is Gandalf. A leader not afraid to sacrifice himself.

Not sure for the rest, sorry

“Gargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."

Ellette Giselle
                  @ellette-giselle

@elishavet-pidyon

Yes!!! I can’t believe they cut him and his family out!! I was so sad because I was really looking forward to seeing them in a movie!

I thought of Samerilian characters, but I thought we were sticking with original LOTR. *shrug*

anyhow.

Elishavet Elroi
                    @elishavet-pidyon

@ellette-giselle

I know!!! And it doesn’t make any sense why not, unless they just wanted to emphasize a smaller circle of awesome characters.

And if they wanted a sweet, visible romance, Faramir and Eowyn are so incredibly perfect. We just listened to that part last night and I was half laughing half crying. But maybe it’s a mercy because they would have done it badly. That always how I comfort myself. (Especially since their contrasting hair coloring is a bit symbolic, , and there’s a scene that really would not have been as striking with a red headed Faramir. )

Anyway, yeah, I suspected that too, so I gave up trying to find one from there. Which is good, because whenever I open that book, I come out with a dazed look and spouting random elvish phrases that I can’t even pronounce. XD

Ellette Giselle
                      @ellette-giselle

@elishavet-pidyon

Haha!

Yeah, I know. Someone needs to do the REAL lord of the rings as a movie.

MineralizedWritings
                        @mineralizedwritings
                          • Total Posts: 2972

@theducktator

your forum signature 😭😭

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

MineralizedWritings
                          @mineralizedwritings
                            • Total Posts: 2972

@lightoverdarkness6

Hi are you alive?

XD

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

Ellette Giselle
                            @ellette-giselle

@mineralizedwritings

*two days later*

I think the answer is no.

Light is dead.

*sobs*

Light
                              @lightoverdarkness6
                                • Total Posts: 1643

@mineralizedwritings

uhh barely

Jkjk

Min I’m so sorry I haven’t been active at all lately, I went on a trip with my family a few weeks ago out to Idaho and it was soooo fun but now I’m trying to catch up with all the school I missed lol 😭😭 I’ve missed you so much!! How are you doing?

#HugRikerSquad

Ellette Giselle
                                @ellette-giselle

@lightoverdarkness6 @mineralizedwritings

Wow. I spoke a literal SECOND too soon!

Viewing 15 posts - 6,511 through 6,525 (of 6,574 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >