The Chat Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 5,776 through 5,790 (of 6,581 total)
  • Author
    freedom
    @freed_and_redeemed
      • Total Posts: 658

@theducktator @koshka @keilah-h @rae @savannah_grace2009 @smiley @grcr @lightoverdarkness6 @joy-calle @anyone-else-idk-lollll

What do y’all think about this Book Blurb???👀

Four Individuals.

Four stories.

One good God.

Isabel Schind, adjusting to the duties of motherhood, does her very best to support her country on the home front, both of her younger brothers off fighting in Vietnam. But when her beloved father is diagnosed with cancer, her faith is shaken. How could God just allow her daddy to have cancer?

Albert Wagner, a recently drafted American marine, is saddened by the prospect of war, his dreams of becoming a teacher halted. He’s not one to shirk from his duty, and he’ll do what he must. But nothing could prepare him for the horrors of combat. How could a good God allow so much human suffering?

Elias Wagner, drafted alongside his older brother, is more enthusiastic about his service to his country. Young and passionate, Elias is certain that all of the pain around him serves some greater purpose, just as things did for his daddy, a Holocaust survivor. God will be good. He knows that as a fact.

Alan Williams, a Marine sergeant, has been in Vietnam for months, fighting from place to place. Engaged, all he wants to do is return home to his fiancée and live a peaceful life. He has seen a complete disregard for life and atrocities he could never imagine. How could a good God, or any god, allow such horror?

Their lives intertwined, none of the four will ever be the same.

The three men trapped behind enemy lines with one fatally injured,

it’s a race against time to survive and return home, whilst Isabel must

fight the doubt and the pain deep within while home in the US.

How will their stories end?

Will they survive; will they endure?

And will a single question be answered…

Is God Still Good even in the darkness?

Still Good: A Novel of the Vietnam War

What is strength?
      Strength, my son, is being who God has called you to be.

RAE
      @rae
        • Total Posts: 3560

@freed_and_redeemed

I like the blurb!

I would read this.

“Gargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."

freedom
        @freed_and_redeemed

@rae Thx!! Yeah, I would too😂 tbh, we need more Vietnam war fiction out there (and the Korean war! Which I also have planned😛)

What is strength?

Keilah H.
          @keilah-h
            • Total Posts: 4732

@freed_and_redeemed I love it!!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

freedom
            @freed_and_redeemed

@keilah-h tysm!!

What is strength?

-GRCR-
              @grcr
                • Total Posts: 1144

@freed_and_redeemed
                Ooo… the blurb definitely sounds interesting!

Fin knew. Riker knew.
                Fin wasn’t afraid. Riker was terrified.

RAE
                @rae

@freed_and_redeemed (it’s Chase!) @savannah_grace2009 @esther-c @loopylin @whalekeeper @keilah-h @whoever-wishes-to-read-one-of-my-cringy-unedited-scenes

It’s like 4:30 AM where I am rn, and I’m bored and can’t sleep because that writer part of me has this scene in her head.

Everybody ready for an absolutely terribly written scene with Chase when he was only…probably 11 or so. This is before he meets the Marshalls, and his mother is still alive, but ill. Also, I’m using Earthling terms since my world building for MA Wond is still pretty weak.

Just a couple more errands…just a few more miles…just another hour…for mother. Chase Duke hugged two wrapped parcels to his chest, shielding them from the rain. His bright green eyes were saddened and tired, for he got little sleep between caring for his mother and working.

Chase pulled up his bike next to a thin, but tall house with three stories, squished between others exactly like it. The black number 268 stood starkly out against the light blue siding in the rain. Chase walked up to the door, and knocked quietly. He heard a small dog barking inside the house, and approaching footsteps. When the door opened, Chase held up one of his parcels, which had a small note along with the houses address.

“My dear child! You’re soaked to the bone! Come in, stay a few minutes until you’re dry.” The middle-aged woman pulled Chase inside with a friendly hand, and shut the door behind him. “You shouldn’t be running errands in the rain like this! Poor child, you look like you’re only seven!”

Chase still clung to the last parcel, shivering as he stood just inside the door.

“Would you like something to eat, child? Does some hot tea sound nice?” The woman paused. “Can you speak?”

Chase looked up at her suddenly with his weary eyes and opened his mouth, but instead of words, an unintelligible sound came.

The woman only stared at him curiously.

“K-k-k-oo…ca-n.” Chase then broke off with a couple other sounds that made no sense, before frustratingly blurting out “Hard!”

The woman looked at him pityifully for a moment, before remembering her manners, and offered to take his thin coat to hang it by a heater to dry. Chase didn’t refuse her.

Chase hugged his damp arms to himself, still shivering and attempting to hide from the woman the sloppily bandaged wound on his arm. He failed, for she took his arm and studied it, before calling to someone else in the house.

“Asher! I want you to come look at this boy’s arm!” She guided Chase to the couch, telling him to sit. Chase obeyed, still keeping the last parcel close.

A young man, barely looking twenty-one, with light brown hair kneeled by him, taking his arm gently and unwrapping the bandage. “Mother, please get me some water. Now, what’s your name?” The man kindly turned back to Chase, cradling his arm.

“He can’t speak well Asher.”

The young man set Chase’s arm gently on the arm rest, and quickly grabbed a notebook and pen. “Can you write?” Chase nodded. Asher handed Chase the pen, setting the notebook under his hand. “What’s your name?”

Meticulously, Chase wrote his first name.

“You have very beautiful handwriting, Chase.” Asher smiled. “How old are you?”

Asher’s mother brought him the water, and he began to clean around Chase’s wound. “Eleven!” Asher exclaimed. He’s small and skinny for eleven. “When did you get this cut?”

Yesterday.

“How’d it happen?”

The truthful answer was Chase’s father, but fear flashed in his heart. If his father ever discovered he told someone…

I tripped into a fence.

“Have you had your shots?”

No.

“Then I need to take you to the hospital, okay, Chase?”

“N-no!”

“Calm down. You could have gotten–woah, what are doing? Please sit still and wait for me to get my coat.” Chase didn’t listen, grabbing his parcel and pushing past Asher. He ran for the door, forgetting to grab his coat. If I don’t get home in time, then father will hurt mom!

“Wait! Chase–” But Chase was gone, and Asher was unable to catch him. Coming back in from searching in the rain, Asher defeatedly sunk into the couch. “Mother, that boy is in trouble. Tomorrow I’m going to go looking for his address.”

I’ll write more Chase scenes later, but for now I should probably try to get back to sleep…

The Ducktator
                  @theducktator
                    • Total Posts: 725

@freed_and_redeemed

Blurb sounds interesting!

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

freedom
                    @freed_and_redeemed

@theducktator @grcr Thx y’all 💖💖

What is strength?

freedom
                      @freed_and_redeemed

@rae

The baby😭😭😭

For being unedited, it really does sound good!!

and also…Chase needs all of the love and all of the hugs.

*offers to give all of the hugs I can possibly give*

What is strength?

RAE
                        @rae

@freed_and_redeemed

Thanks.

The guy Chase meet in this scene, Dr. Asher Beren eventually becomes Chase’s doctor when he gets older. He was the only man Chase trusted until Roger Marshall.

Also, I just wanted to verify, but a while back I sent you a Canva link to the final drawing of Leo. I was looking at the drawing this morning and wanted to make sure you saw it.

For Leo originally being the hardest charrie for me to draw, he became my best portrait yet.

Esther
                          @esther-c
                            • Total Posts: 3428

@freed_and_redeemed

So glad I could help!!

🫣😭 Noooo, Rikerrrrrr!!! Aghhh, from a writer’s perspective, yes, yes, yesss!! From a reader’s perspective, girlll nooooo.

😂

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
                            @esther-c

@freed_and_redeemed

Ok so that scene just reminded me of something….

You’ve watched The Chosen right? Have you watched season four yet?

Esther
                              @esther-c

I want to mention something in that season, but I don’t want to give away spoilers if you haven’t yet. 😉

MineralizedWritings
                                @mineralizedwritings
                                  • Total Posts: 2973

@loopylin

Hey you’re online! How’s it going?

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

Viewing 15 posts - 5,776 through 5,790 (of 6,581 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >