The Chat Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 6,581 total)
  • Author
    whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 3147

@mineralizedwritings That’s a real fascinating subject, I bet. So… do you really go to school??

XD Sorry, I’m homeschooled.

“Everything is a mountain”

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2974

@whalekeeper

Lol yes! …kinda lol.

I was homeschooled until 2nd grade, and went to public school until 7th grade. I still do public school, but I do it online. It’s still a part of the same system. So yeah, the online school I go to has zoom meets and assigned projects, I hardly ever have my mom help me. Right now I’m doing this cool program that lets you take college classes instead of highschool classes, for duel credit. The classes are free, it’s hard because it’s college classes, but I mean… free college? Who would pass that up right?

I don’t really go on campus because I’m still doing online classes, but I have an on campus class this spring! Little nerve racking… taking classes with adults and tbh it’s been a long time since I’ve been in a secular school environment, might take some getting used to again. 😬

How do you like homeschool?

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 8156

@keilah-h. Aww, thanks!!! 💕💕💕 And IKR, poor baby. 😭💔

@mineralizedwritings

Yeah lol maybe one day I’ll see some Marvel, idk.

It’s a lot of fun, not gonna lie. 😆

As a kid I was like movie allergic, everything is just too real. Like idk, if there’s a monster, I think ‘what if it attacked me?’ *proceeds to imagine what that would look like in too much detail* XDXD

I get that!!! I didn’t even watch my first Marvel movie until I was already into my teens, so, y’know, I was older before I was allowed to watch it. And now I probably love it more than anyone else in my family! 🤣😆💕

Thanks for the support girl!

You are soooo welcome!!! Glad I can be here to support you!!! 💕💕💕

How are your classes going?

They’re going pretty well. I’ve had a break from it since Tuesday due to being sick.

But anywho…Logic has become my favorite class this year, which I didn’t see coming, tbh!!! 😆 I still hate the Algebra, but what’cha gonna do? 🤷🏻‍♀️

whaley
          @whalekeeper

@mineralizedwritings

Right, so a mix of a few different things. Good for you that you’re taking college classes! Yeah, makes sense that you’d be nervous about on-campus, but you’ll do great 😉

Plenty! I’m in Classical Conversations, if you’ve heard of it. Some of the kids in my ‘class’ are in college-level classes, and I’ve thought about doing the same, but tbh I’m too scared 😅

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings

@freedomwriter76

And now I probably love it more than anyone else in my family! 🤣😆💕

Don’t worry, I won’t tell your fam you said that 😉

Lol I knew what you meant 😂

Oh! Logic! Cool. I might have to take that sometime, it counts for math credits! And yeah, ugh that algebra… I don’t like it either lol.

MineralizedWritings
              @mineralizedwritings

@whalekeeper

Thanks! The campus looks so scary XD

Yeah, it’s harder but if you can work fast and well it’s alright. For reference, papers tend to be about 4-5 pages long (including the bibliography).

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 8156

@mineralizedwritings.

Don’t worry, I won’t tell your fam you said that 😉

Well, I’m pretty sure it’s TRUE!!! 😆😆😆

Lol I knew what you meant 😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh! Logic! Cool.

Yeah, it’s really interesting! 😉

I might have to take that sometime, it counts for math credits!

IT DOES!?!?!? 😮😮😮

And yeah, ugh that algebra… I don’t like it either lol.

IKR? It’s just horrid…😱😱😱 It’s not that I’m bad…I just don’t like it. 😅

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings

@freedomwriter76

Yepp! Pretty sure. My sister took it to replace pre-calc I think?

TheArcaneAxiom
                    @thearcaneaxiom
                      • Total Posts: 1299

Me: See’s everyone talking about how annoying their math classes are

Me: *sigh

Math will forever be the misunderstood subject😥

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

whaley
                      @whalekeeper

@thearcaneaxiom

I have arithmophobia, I guess you could say. Respect to those who love the subject, *nods* but I hyperventilate whenever anything related to numbers pops up on a test. Literally – can’t breathe.

TheArcaneAxiom
                        @thearcaneaxiom

@whalekeeper

Yeah, sorry if I sounded judgmental. When it comes to things like arithmophobia, and dyscalculia, I completely understand. Sometimes your brain is just wired differently, or trauma, or whatever else has occurred that just makes it so that math or whatever else doesn’t work for you. I simply think that schools don’t teach the subject the way it should be taught. Most spend their whole lives thinking math is just equations and number crunching to figure out how much money you need to save or whatever else. It’s really far deeper than that, it’s fundamental truth. Yes, it is a extremely useful tool, but it can also be an artform with colors you cannot see as Ramanujan put it. For me personally, math isn’t a subject, but creation. I feel like when I prove some mathematical statement, I suddenly understand one more small piece of God’s painting. It’s just sad to me that schools don’t even touch the broader side of mathematics, because for those who understand it, it’s a true art you can share, but only a few select will be able to appreciate and see the color, whereas everyone else will say without hesitation “well, you’re smarter than I’ll ever be”, pat them on the back and move on. Sorry for my ramble, but this is something I’ve always felt strongly about ever since I’ve gotten into deep mathematics.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

whaley
                          @whalekeeper

@thearcaneaxiom

Oh no no no, I definitely agree. Math is definitely special, on loads of different levels. I like how you put it as an essential piece of God’s painting.

I’ve always had a very logical mind (propositional logic is absolute magic once you understand the symbols), and I and my family have always seen the opportunity in math as a comfort subject for me. But some life things happened, and school got put to the side. I got behind in math, and the curriculums I was using left me without the fundamentals, and – you get the picture.

I’m still behind. I wish I loved it, and it seems like it would be my thing – but being behind sends my head in a twirl.

By the way, when you say ‘see the color,’ do you mean literally? I have grapheme-color synesthesia, and it’s always cool to find out if someone else has it.

TheArcaneAxiom
                            @thearcaneaxiom

Yeah, I get it. Life can get in the way of our self worth and confidence, and sometimes it can ruin the things we may have loved once completely. Not that I’m saying you don’t have self confidence or anything.

I’m sorry that happened to you, and I really hope that you can find healing in whatever degree of hurt you may have gone through from falling behind.

No, not literally, sorry if that wasn’t clear, I was referring to color in the sense of the beauty of mathematics, and how it an artwork could only be seen by those trained to do so. That’s really cool that you have grapheme-color synesthesia though! The idea of that has always fascinated me. I personally don’t really know if I have it actually, I’ve always pictured multiples of 3 as being blue, but I don’t know if that’s actually the condition, or just my brain making things up. I do love the idea of numbers having more personalities than colors though. I’ve always liked to picture myself having a conversation with each integer, and how that would go. Again, I don’t know if that’s any particular condition in how my brain is wired, or if I just like thinking about that stuff, though if I’m honest with myself, I would assume it’s the latter.

E. M. Trepke
                              @e-m-trepke
                                • Total Posts: 145

@whalekeeper

You do Classical Conversations? Which level? I joined in Challenge II and am now in Challenge IV— one of the first Ch IV classes in my country, if I may add.

Math is…. Fun? Sometimes. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship in math. I prefer other sorts of brain puzzles. I am also ridiculously behind in physics.

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good on, eh?
                                -The Doctor

Otherworldly Historian
                                @otherworldlyhistorian
                                  • Total Posts: 229

@mineralizedwritings

It is so cool that you do ASL. My school offers it. I don’t personally take the class but I know some people who do and really like it. Sometimes the high-level ASL groups will do songs at one of the assembly things. (most of you homeschool guys probably don’t know what I am talking about but there will basically be some times when everyone gathers in the auditorium and our school’s band or other groups (like the swimmers VS wrestlers wrestling match (which is kind of funny to watch)) will do stuff.

Also in terms of going to a secular school environment, you’ll be fine. I mean you will have to go to secular land eventually (well technically you could but I don’t really feel like God wants us to just spend our whole lives in Christian bubbles (It would literally be impossible to fulfil the great commission)).  I think that you will be fine (maybe a little clueless at first but you’ll probably figure it out soon enough). I will say that my best advice is to be yourself (unless you are a super bad person 🙃) and to not be one of those people that is like a modern-day Pharisee.

@thearcaneaxiom

Personally, I am more of a humanities person (I love history) (except for programming) but I know some people kind of like you. This is especially true of some of the people on my school’s robotics team. They all start talking about PID and physicsy stuff and I just get confused (this is also probably because I am not in physics yet). I have a couple of friends in Calc BC (and Multivariable Calc) also/(including the robotics people who are also my friends). All of them are super math people. As for me I just don’t enjoy math once it becomes as calculatery as the part of precalc I am on is.

Through darkness,
                                  light shines brightest

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 6,581 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >