The Chat Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 4,141 through 4,155 (of 6,581 total)
  • Author
    Sara
    @savannah_grace2009
      • Total Posts: 2535

@esther-c

I’m glad I was able to help!

Lukas&Livia
      #Lalbert
      Sef&Chase
      #HOTTOLINE
      LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Esther
      @esther-c
        • Total Posts: 3428

@EVERYONE (I’d tag everyone I’ve interacted with on KP, but that’s a lot of people. XD)

Hey everyone!

So Jerry Jenkins (an incredible author if you didn’t know 😉 ) has an article with tons of different writing contests in 2024. I’m definitely planning to thoroughly look through all of them at some point, because I want to start submitting some short stories to different places. If anyone is interested in that, here’s the link: https://jerryjenkins.com/writing-contests/

(And these are contests for short stories, full manuscripts, and poetry)

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
        @esther-c
          • Total Posts: 3428

And I think most if not all offer cash/monetary prizes. 👀😂

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Allison
          @acancello
            • Total Posts: 842

@esther-c

Woah, I will check that out!

"Would you kindly...?"

Sara
            @savannah_grace2009

@esther-c

That’s so cool! That would be fun!

Lukas&Livia
              #Lalbert
              Sef&Chase
              #HOTTOLINE
              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

-GRCR-
              @grcr
                • Total Posts: 1144

@esther-c

Ooo!! I’ll have to check it out!!

Fin knew. Riker knew.
                Fin wasn’t afraid. Riker was terrified.

Euodia
                @euodia-vision
                  • Total Posts: 1308

@esther-c

Thanks for sharing!

(also, everyone shared such great advice for your questions earlier, I don’t have anything else to add!)

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Sara
                  @savannah_grace2009

@grcr

Is your pfp an IN COLOR version of Flazzy??? I love it!

Lukas&Livia
                    #Lalbert
                    Sef&Chase
                    #HOTTOLINE
                    LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

-GRCR-
                    @grcr

@savannah_grace2009

Yup! It’s the boy! lol

Fin knew. Riker knew.

Sara
                      @savannah_grace2009

@grcr

that’s so cool!

Lukas&Livia
                        #Lalbert
                        Sef&Chase
                        #HOTTOLINE
                        LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

-GRCR-
                        @grcr

@savannah_grace2009

Thanks!! 😆

(Sorry if this sent twice… I don’t think it did though…)

Fin knew. Riker knew.

MineralizedWritings
                          @mineralizedwritings
                            • Total Posts: 2973

@freedomwriter76

I just realized something so interesting about my wip and I have to share it XD

Ok so I was rereading my first draft for fun, and weirdly enough the emotional descriptions are better than most of my current writing, but the plot is a total mess with no direction.

What’s weird is that the whole vibe of my first draft is sadness and looking back on the past. There isn’t much of a vision for the future, but a tooooon of flashbacks to Lesli and Tauren as happy adventurous kids without a care in the world. The present world and future of the characters isn’t nearly as developed as their past and their longing to go back… (Honestly that was me when I wrote it XD I just wanted to go back and be younger again lol)

My second draft has a much clearer direction, and it’s a lot more focused on what is happening in the characters future and the adventures they hope to have, and overcoming fear in order to do it. It actually seems happy compared to my draft 1 despite Lesli’s family issues! It’s missing some of that emotion, but I can find a way to add it back in. Anyways yeah! My 1st draft is almost a snippet of my life at the time, and my second draft a snippet of now. Like it actually brings me back to how I was feeling at that time, and I can tell their were certain things in the first draft that were related to irl events. wow, isn’t that weird. Have you experienced anything like that before?

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

whaley
                            @whalekeeper
                              • Total Posts: 3144

@mineralizedwritings

That’s so cool! It obviously makes sense to happen, but it must be strange looking back and reading into yourself like that. In a good way, of course! 😂 So much to learn from.

It’s also fun when your younger self surprises you with something really well written, or a good joke 😂 Because now that you’re in the future, you’re practically the audience experiencing it for the first time.

I can also relate to having written better exposition in the past than I am now. I think for me it’s because, back then, I read a more limited pile of books which were mostly classical literature. Now I read more modern stuff and it leaks into my writing lol. Can you think of a reason it happened to you?

And writing is always going through a phase, so it should be interesting to look back some time after 😂

Have you experienced anything like that before?

I can definitely think of a few times. Like the dark ages after our big family move. But I can’t always tell what I was feeling, since I’m super combative with my thoughts, and almost always write something to attack the emotions instead of stirring them up.

“Everything is a mountain”

MineralizedWritings
                              @mineralizedwritings
                                • Total Posts: 2973

@whalekeeper

That’s so cool! It obviously makes sense to happen, but it must be strange looking back and reading into yourself like that. In a good way, of course! 😂 So much to learn from.

yeah, really strange!

It’s also fun when your younger self surprises you with something really well written, or a good joke 😂 Because now that you’re in the future, you’re practically the audience experiencing it for the first time.

XD! Yes! I saw that two, I actually had some good moments I need to reuse in my current draft.

I happened to find this, which I want to reuse:

“I don’t know. They just like… think they’re all great here.” Lesli laughs. “Thankfully my uncle seems pretty down to earth.”

“Yeah. He seems nice. But very busy.” Tauren adds.

“Yes. He is really busy.”

“Am I down to earth?” Tauren asks, turning towards Lesli with a smile.

“Um…yeah?”

“Well, I’m a miner, so I suppose I should… be.”

Lesli gives him an inquisitive look.

“That was a joke.” He pauses. “You know, because I mine… in the earth… so I’m y’know… down to earth?”

I can also relate to having written better exposition in the past than I am now. I think for me it’s because, back then, I read a more limited pile of books which were mostly classical literature. Now I read more modern stuff and it leaks into my writing lol. Can you think of a reason it happened to you?

Ohhh yes I could see that. I actually don’t read much at all, except for the fanfics here on kp occasionally, which might leak into my writing a little. My exposition was actually pretty bad at first, but the descriptions were great. I think it’s because I was writing things I was currently going through, so I just had all the feelings in me waiting to go on the page. The part ofmy first draft some of you guys said made you cry was based on personal experience XD so I guess that’s why I could write to so well!

My first draft had more reflective narration (like manga) which I was reading a lot of at the time. I need to try to add it back in lol, I think it added a lot to my book.

And writing is always going through a phase, so it should be interesting to look back some time after 😂

Yesss I can’t believe what my first writing sounded like 😳 and that was only a year and a half ago!!

Btw how are you doing?

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

whaley
                                @whalekeeper
                                  • Total Posts: 3144

@mineralizedwritings

“That was a joke.” He pauses. “You know, because I mine… in the earth… so I’m y’know… down to earth?”

That is such a Tauren joke, oh my goodness 🤣🤣 Sweet child, he definitely needs that line in your final draft!

I actually don’t read much at all, except for the fanfics here on kp occasionally, which might leak into my writing a little.

Yeah, I only read for school now. It’s funny how people just assume writers are readers, and vice versa.

My exposition was actually pretty bad at first, but the descriptions were great. I think it’s because I was writing things I was currently going through, so I just had all the feelings in me waiting to go on the page. The part ofmy first draft some of you guys said made you cry was based on personal experience XD so I guess that’s why I could write to so well!

Right 😊 Lots of writing only sounds good if it connects to your inner turmoil (for lack of a better description 😂). I did not cry, but I could relate to that unsteady feeling of life changing, and a couple of your snippets really made me think.

Yesss I can’t believe what my first writing sounded like 😳 and that was only a year and a half ago!!

But the amazing thing is, if you can recognize some of your more recent writing’s flaws (like from a few months ago), it means you’re growing at a faster rate!

Btw how are you doing?

Eeehhh… fine. 😂

My home is almost always chaos, and I can’t really gauge how stressed I am anymore.

Fall semester is almost over tho! Im worried I won’t get all my assignments done, but don’t we all? And I have more free time than some of the other kids.

Also trying to overcome my flaws and stop overanalyzing life because I do that too much 😉

And how about you? 🥰

“Everything is a mountain”

Viewing 15 posts - 4,141 through 4,155 (of 6,581 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >