The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Esther
    @esther-c
      • Total Posts: 3205

Ok…

I just finished reading this book and…

Oh. My. Goodness.

It was so good and so sad at the same time. Having the POV character be a naive nine year old was just perfect for the story and the whole book was just… 😭💔😧

I am speechless really.

I’d love to talk about it with any who have read it! I know @freedomwriter76 has. Maybe @euodia-vision and @lightoverdarkness6 ? I’m not sure. Anyway, I’d love to hear what y’all think if you’ve read it.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 8156

@esther-c AHHHH, YOU DID!?!?!?!?🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩 GIRLLLLL, I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THAT BOOK!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!

Such a sad ending, but such a GOOD BOOK!!!!!! John Boyne did an AMAZING job with it!!! 💖💖

I just love that book altogether, and it’s just SOOOOOOOOO good!!! A classic, really. A book I think everyone should read, but maybe that’s just my opinion XD

i can’t get my siblings to read it tho…*sadness*

But ahhhhh, what was your fav scene!?

Mine’s probably when Bruno/Shmuel first met and they started learning about each other…so cute and sweet!! 🥰

The babies tho 🥹😭

Esther
        @esther-c

@freedomwriter76

AHHHH, YOU DID!?!?!?!?🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩 GIRLLLLL, I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THAT BOOK!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!

Such a sad ending, but such a GOOD BOOK!!!!!! John Boyne did an AMAZING job with it!!! 💖💖

YESSSS!!!!! I actually heard you mention it to somebody and so I got it out from the library. All I knew was that it was a his-fic. The librarian told me it was a sad book… she was right 😢

I know!! As soon as Bruno crossed the fence, I was like “Oh no, this is not good…” and when they started marching I had a feeling I knew what was coming 😭

I just love that book altogether, and it’s just SOOOOOOOOO good!!! A classic, really. A book I think everyone should read, but maybe that’s just my opinion XD

i can’t get my siblings to read it tho…*sadness*

Yes for sure!!!

Lol. After I finished reading it I told my Mom she needed to read it. And she was like, “Is it sad?” I said yes and she wasn’t sure if she wanted to read a sad book but I was like “It’s so good though!!” 😂

But ahhhhh, what was your fav scene!?

Mine’s probably when Bruno/Shmuel first met and they started learning about each other…so cute and sweet!! 🥰

Agh!!! So hard to choose!! I think I’d have to agree with you though. Their first interactions was adorable!! 🥰

The babies tho 🥹😭

Yesss 😭 They were both just so innocent 🥺

I think having it told from a nine year old’s point of view really got the message across though. 😢

Anonymous

@esther-c

YESSSS!!!!! I actually heard you mention it to somebody and so I got it out from the library. All I knew was that it was a his-fic. The librarian told me it was a sad book… she was right 😢

Ahhh, glad I could influence you to try it!!!! Yesss, so sadddddddddd 😭 such a meaningful book though

I know!! As soon as Bruno crossed the fence, I was like “Oh no, this is not good…” and when they started marching I had a feeling I knew what was coming 😭

😭😭😭❤️❤️❤️

There’s a movie too…and I low-key wanna watch it…but idk….maybe I don’t want to cry that much…

Yes for sure!!!

Lol. After I finished reading it I told my Mom she needed to read it. And she was like, “Is it sad?” I said yes and she wasn’t sure if she wanted to read a sad book but I was like “It’s so good though!!” 😂

Lol, that sounds like me trying to get my siblings to read it…they know what happens tho, so that’s why they don’t want to read it, bc they APPARENTLY can’t stand/like sad books/movies as much as I do 🤣

Agh!!! So hard to choose!! I think I’d have to agree with you though. Their first interactions was adorable!! 🥰

Ikr? 🥰🥰🥰

Yesss 😭 They were both just so innocent 🥺

I think having it told from a nine year old’s point of view really got the message across though. 😢

The poor innocent babiessssssss 😭😭

Yesssss, made it so much more powerful!!! 😭🥹😢

Esther
            @esther-c

@freedomwriter76

There’s a movie too…and I low-key wanna watch it…but idk….maybe I don’t want to cry that much…

I’ve heard… I kinda wanna watch it too…I’ve never actually cried during a movie before so….we’ll see. 😬😅

Lol, that sounds like me trying to get my siblings to read it…they know what happens tho, so that’s why they don’t want to read it, bc they APPARENTLY can’t stand/like sad books/movies as much as I do 🤣

That’s so funny 😂

Ikr? 🥰🥰🥰

Yessss! 😍

Anonymous

@esther-c

I’ve heard… I kinda wanna watch it too…I’ve never actually cried during a movie before so….we’ll see. 😬😅

You haven’t!?!? Girlllll, watch Faith of Our Fathers, starring Kevin Downes, Stephen Baldwin, and David A.R. White, among others (including Si Robertson 🤣)…that movie makes me cry EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!!!! 😭😭 It’s a Christian Vietnam War movie…and just….😭💖🥹💖

But yesss, I wanna watch the movie…but I’ll need tissues. XD

That’s so funny 😂

*sighs* I guessssssss so……

🤣🤣

Esther
                @esther-c

@freedomwriter76

You haven’t!?!? Girlllll, watch Faith of Our Fathers, starring Kevin Downes, Stephen Baldwin, and David A.R. White, among others (including Si Robertson 🤣)…that movie makes me cry EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!!!! 😭😭 It’s a Christian Vietnam War movie…and just….😭💖🥹💖

Lol 😂 Nope, I haven’t. I don’t get very emotional with movies. I tend to be more emotional with books though. So with both (books and movies) I’ve teared up, but never really started crying before. (The movie I Heard the Bells almost got me to cry. That one was soooo good!!! And Where the Red Fern Grows… 😭) Don’t worry though. I’m not all that hard hearted. XD

That sounds interesting though!! I’ll have to check it out!

*sighs* I guessssssss so……

🤣🤣

😂 I totally understand how you feel tho. I’ve been trying to get my brother to read a book series that I really like, but he doesn’t want to because he didn’t like the first book. It gets better as the series progresses though. One day I’ll get him to read it… one day…..

🤣

Anonymous

@esther-c

Lol 😂 Nope, I haven’t. I don’t get very emotional with movies. I tend to be more emotional with books though. So with both (books and movies) I’ve teared up, but never really started crying before. (The movie I Heard the Bells almost got me to cry. That one was soooo good!!! And Where the Red Fern Grows… 😭) Don’t worry though. I’m not all that hard hearted. XD

That sounds interesting though!! I’ll have to check it out!

That just seems crazy to me….🤣😂 maybe it’s just because, literally, my own books make me cry, others’ books make me cry, and movies make me cry too! Like, literally, I rewatched Endgame a few days or so ago, and I cried 3 times!!! like, idk what even happened!!!

Yes, I’ve heard about Where The Red Fern Grows….and don’t worry, I don’t think you’re hard hearted! Some of us just cry easier than others…especially lately, lol. Apparently I’ve been emotional lately, and I have no IDEA why 😂😂 And yesss, definitely check it out, it’s amazing!!!! 😍

😂 I totally understand how you feel tho. I’ve been trying to get my brother to read a book series that I really like, but he doesn’t want to because he didn’t like the first book. It gets better as the series progresses though. One day I’ll get him to read it… one day…..

🤣

At least I’m not alone!!!!!!! 🤣🤣

Esther
                    @esther-c

@freedomwriter76

That just seems crazy to me….🤣😂 maybe it’s just because, literally, my own books make me cry, others’ books make me cry, and movies make me cry too! Like, literally, I rewatched Endgame a few days or so ago, and I cried 3 times!!! like, idk what even happened!!!

Yes, I’ve heard about Where The Red Fern Grows….and don’t worry, I don’t think you’re hard hearted! Some of us just cry easier than others…especially lately, lol. Apparently I’ve been emotional lately, and I have no IDEA why 😂😂 And yesss, definitely check it out, it’s amazing!!!! 😍

Oh no!! 😅 That is a really sad movie though. 😭

Why so many tears? Well… It’s called teenage hormones…😂 Which I can totally understand. XD

At least I’m not alone!!!!!!! 🤣🤣

🤣🤣

Euodia
                      @euodia-vision
                        • Total Posts: 1306

@esther-c

I’VE HEARD OF THAT BOOK! It’s on a TBR list… by what you and Freedom are talking about idk if I can handle it rn. XD

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Esther
                        @esther-c

@euodia-vision

Lol. Yeahhh… it’s really good and I highly recommend it, but I totally understand what you mean. 😉

Folith-Feolin
                          @folith-feolin
                            • Total Posts: 310

@freedomwriter76 @euodia-vision @esther-c

I enjoyed the boy in the striped pajama’s as well.

If you guys would like another book to read set in the same time period of the boy in the striped pajamas, (ie about Nazi Germany) I highly recommend In the Garden of the Beasts by Eric Larson. It is a very interesting read and is extremely well researched. It follows the American ambassador to Germany during the rise of Hitler.

If we are just talking about really sad things besides books then since esther-c already has movies covered I will have to throw out the musical Parade which is one of the most Sad musicals I have ever seen on stage (I didn’t even cry during Les Mis). It’s currently on broadway until aug 6 and won the tony award for best musical this year. It is actually quite similar to being some sort of weird cross between the boy in the striped pajamas and to kill a mocking bird (both good books).

Smiley
                            @smiley
                              • Total Posts: 2179

@freedomwriter76 @euodia-vision @esther-c

Well now it’s on my to-read list

Not sure when I’ll actually read it XD I’m honestly not a huge reader, but every now and then I will be in the mood to read XD

My mom loves historical fiction so maybe I could listen to it in audiobook with her, but she hates sad stories XD She won’t even watch the fox in the hound so… It will probably be a solo thing XD

I will say a favorite book of mine is the boys who challenged Hitler, it’s a true story of kids who formed a gang, and they would steal weapons and sabotage the Nazi bases where they lived

it started small, but it had a big impact

Oxygen shortage

do your part, hold your breath

Anonymous

@smiley YESSSS, you need to read it!!!!!!!!!!

@folith-feolin
                                . Ooh, I read some of that book!! It was really interesting!!! (didn’t finish it tho 😂😅)

Hmm, that play sounds interesting. Ooh, I believe that I’ve had To Kill A Mocking Bird recommended to me…but I’ve never read it yet, lol XXD

MineralizedWritings
                                @mineralizedwritings
                                  • Total Posts: 2794

@freedomwriter76

To kill a mockingbird is really good! It’s a pretty quick read too.

@esther-c

I have read that book! Long time ago though. it was a required reading for school. I remember the violin scene pretty vividly though, also the conflict of children staying with their parents or moving on… yeah it was rough, I just don’t remember the details. It does really put it into perspective though, I new the holocaust was horrible before that book but I just got a little more of an idea of how horrible afterwards.

へびは かっこいい です!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >