Strong Christian Women

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Mission, Calling & Ethics ā€ŗ Strong Christian Women

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@jenwriter17 @dekreel Looking up the meanings of Biblical names is always interesting, because most of them do have real significance to the stories! šŸ™‚Ā  Here is one of my favorite examples of that.

Something I thought when reading the passage that we have heard Ruthā€™s ā€œIā€™ll go where you goā€ speech so often we forget the true significance of it.Ā  Ruth was giving up everything she had ever known to go to a country where she would be known as an outsider.Ā  If she went, she would probably never see her family again; her husband was dead, so there was nothing to really make her want to go with Naomi, but she chose to leave EVERYTHING and go follow God with her mother-in-law.Ā  I have the feeling we take the ā€œIā€™ll go where you goā€ to mean something like ā€œI love you and want to be with you all the timeā€ while it really means ā€œI am giving up everything in my life to serve God.ā€

We should be willing to give up anything and everything including our comfort, our families, and our lives for God.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@jenwriter17 What you said about God caring for us:

Itā€™s hard to imagine that God could care forĀ every single person.Ā thereā€™s just so many people. but He does, ā€™cause Heā€™s God. Which is a comforting thought actuallyā€¦..

Reminded me of this quote which I read in a book and liked so much I saved it:

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17
          • Total Posts: 2522

@rochellaine hmm, good point about Ruth giving up everything, Itā€™s hard to give everything up for God sometimes

I like that quote ā€œThe Lord Almighty, He knowā€ šŸ™‚

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
          www.jennaterese.com

pickupyourpenandwrite
          @pickupyourpenandwrite
            • Total Posts: 37

Iā€™ve read Ruth chapter 1ā€¦ and I had a sneak peak at chapter 2 as well. I love how Ruth is able to sacrifice what she wants for someone else in need. Thatā€™s pretty hard in life and you can see it displayed a lot even in small ways. I guess it tells us that we need to be people capable of sacrifice.

"Come out from them and be separate says the Lord." 2 Corinthians 6:17

The fledgling Artist
            @notawriter
              • Total Posts: 328

I read chapter one yesterday, and I thought it was interesting, my bibles commentary says that Ruth might be a MoabiteĀ modification of the Hebrew word reuit, which means friendship. Which seems fitting for her because her faithfulness to Naomi (and God) is what stuck out to me in this first chapter. I mean can you imagine leaving your homeland.. going to a strange place with strange people. Ruth was willing to go where ever Naomi did. If that isnā€™t faithfulness idunno what is.

and I was so confused

Skredder
              @skredder
                • Total Posts: 527

Yeah, Ruth chapter 1 is definitely an eye-opened. She left everything behind to follow Naomi. She let it all go and completely trust God and Naomi. That has to be the hardest thing for me in my life. It is almost impossible for me to let anything go, but itā€™s getting better. So, itā€™s really nice to see Ruth do that.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17

just lettinā€™ yā€™all know I probably wonā€™t be on for discussion for most or all of today cuz Iā€™ll be out of my houseā€¦.

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                  @jenwriter17

@pickupyourpenandwrite @skredder @notawriter yā€™all had good observations. I have commentary in my Bible too, which is really nice.

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                    @jenwriter17

Sometimes I wonder what happened to Naomiā€™s other daughter-in-law, Oprahā€¦.

www.jennaterese.com

Joy
                      @dekreel
                        • Total Posts: 2304

@jenwriter17Ā  Good questionā€¦

You can pronounce it however you want.

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice
                          • Total Posts: 3365

@jenwriter17

Hey Iā€™m a bit late but Iā€™d love to join in! I thought that I had replied to this topix, but noā€¦no I didnā€™t. I have arrived now though

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

The fledgling Artist
                          @notawriter
                            • Total Posts: 328

@jenwriter17 ActuallyĀ commentary may not have been the correct term. My bible doesnā€™t have one that goes through the whole scripture. It just has little introductory bits at the beginning of every book šŸ˜‰ But I do quite like reading it before I start a book.

Since itā€™s Sunday I donā€™t expect a lot of activity on here today but I went ahead and read the next chapter.
                            I guess the thing that stood out to me is how God provided for Naomi and Ruth through Boaz. It can both be a challenge to trust that God will provide, but to also be willing to beĀ used for Gods plans.. Like Boaz was. šŸ™‚

and I was so confused

Jane Maree
                            @jane-maree
                              • Total Posts: 909

Iā€™ve read chapter 1 and 2 now and agh yes. Something we can all learn from Ruth is that sheā€™sĀ such a hard worker. And aĀ cheerful one.

Also, Boaz was so in love with her from the very first moment and I am totally shipping these two. XD

Writing Heroes ā™¦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Jenna Terese
                              @jenwriter17

@seekjustice Welcome!

been gone all day, sorry guys. wonā€™t be on ā€™til tomorrow. I actually didnā€™t get a chance to read chapter 2, but i will first thing in the morning in time for more discussion. šŸ™‚

and iā€™ll respond to all of yā€™allā€™s comments as well..

www.jennaterese.com

pickupyourpenandwrite
                                @pickupyourpenandwrite
                                  • Total Posts: 37

Ruth 2 for me threw up one major point. That Boaz and everyone elseĀ knew what Ruth had done.Ā By giving up her livelihood for another and being sacrificial, she distinguished herself as different to a majority of the world. This is so important as it shows by doing things that honour others and God we are being salt and light to the world. As my signature says, we should be separate in Christ.

"Come out from them and be separate says the Lord." 2 Corinthians 6:17

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >