So what's next for the forums?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions So what's next for the forums?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Northerner
    @northerner
      • Total Posts: 244

“He told her tales of the frogs in the forum, and the toads in the rice that destroyed the poppycockalorum and the cockahoopatrice.” (The Thirteen Clocks)

I’ve read all the official announcements about the site being on hiatus, and I know about Story Embers and whatnot, and in coming back after my absence (very hectic end to the term and then some) I’ve seen signs of people clinging stubbornly to KP — which I understand, because I too was a bit nervous about everything going over to the shiny new site and KP being sort of abandoned, and I didn’t want that to happen either.

But it does seem like most of the people with the most experience and knowledge have either joined Story Embers or simply vanished from KP, and without them it will just be a lot of newcomers asking people at their own level for answers to questions we don’t know yet ourselves, and that makes it very hard to learn. So. . . in the words of King Hulderbrand, “Has anybody got any ideas?”

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@northerner I haven’t been on either community as much as I would have liked. :'( When the hiatus was first announced it really hit me in the gut, since KP has been my rock for the past five years and one of the best things that ever happened to me.

At first, I was a little skeptical about the idea of a new site. Sure, Story Embers would be cool… but it wouldn’t be KP. But as it launched and got moving and so many of the same amazing people threw themselves behind it to make it as amazing as they are, I realized that KP is a community, not a website. Wherever the spirit of it is, that’s where I want to be. Clinging stubbornly to an empty forum (as I kind of felt like doing at the beginning) was completely pointless. It isn’t the website that made KP so great, it’s the people. If they moved, I moved. If they decided to split themselves between both forums I’d be happily running back and forth wherever they are and wherever they need me. If they decide to move to the moon, that’s where I’m going.

I don’t see it as a question of proving ‘loyalty to KP’ by competing with SE. They’re all the same people. Are we gonna say that’s changed just because they’re affiliating themselves under a different name?

I don’t think there’s a need to say ‘this is final! We’ve made our decision!’ on anything related to either site. There’s no reason we can’t keep both forums open and running and be totally okay with whichever forum gets the most attention. They’re all the same people. It’s the community that counts.

Whew. 😛 Bit of a mini-rant there. Sorry if that was unduly heated; got a lot of feelings on this and they’ve been building up ever since SE launched. ;P Thank you for giving me a place to vent. XD

Kaya Young
        @kaya-young
          • Total Posts: 272

@northerner   We have not vanished, we will not leave!

“What’s even left of the Kingdom?”, is the innocent cry, but much is left in our hearts and our minds, and though we be but few we are strong- and we shall fight for our Kingdom. Yes, fight for the Kingdom though most have left, fight fiercely with our knitting needles and golden retriever, fight to keep this lovely place alive. The Kingdom might not be thriving but we are surviving.

We’ve elected a new queen, a kind hearted Australian named @seekjustice, and her loyal prime minister named @rochellaine rule us now that the others have deserted.

We aren’t competing with SE, only sticking to the Kingdom- Til’ We’re old and gray!

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
          http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Kaya Young
          @kaya-young
            • Total Posts: 272

@kate-flournoy  You have a lot of great points!

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
            http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine
              • Total Posts: 3322

@kate-flournoy I’m just popping in here to let you know that this whole “we don’t like SE” and “going to war” business is just a joke.  It seems like you might be wondering if we’re serious, but we’re just having a play sort of like the KP fanfiction.  Personally, the reason I’m not on SE is because I don’t have time, and it’s easier just to stay on KP.  Almost all the people I used to talk to are still here, so I’m not going to dive into another forum at this point.  I don’t truly have a problem with any of the people who have left KP completely for SE, but I like joking about it because I really do miss the few of those who have left that I talked to often before they left.

So please believe me that it’s all just a joke, and this business of “defending KP till we’re old and gray” is just for the fun of it. 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

@rochellaine whew! 😛 I will confess, you guys had me a little freaked out. I guess I missed the discussion where it all started. *fans self feverishly* That takes a load off my mind.

Rochellaine
                @rochellaine
                  • Total Posts: 3322

@kate-flournoy Haha, glad I could clear it up! 😛  Oh, and I noticed in your post you were saying you thought we were trying to “prove our loyalty to KP” by “competing with SE”.  Actually we’re not at all trying to compete with SE.  The whole thing is about the people who left without a second glance and have completely deserted KP for SE.  Several of us are both on KP and SE, such as @jenwriter17 @alia and @ariel-ashira but since they’re here as well, we’re all happy about it.  None of us mind SE is there except in the sense that it’s taken away a lot of people who used to be here, and we’re not trying to compete, just to have those people come back and visit once in a while, like you’re doing now. 😉

So, does that fix everything for you?  Are you satisfied that we aren’t crazy? 😛

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

@rochellaine :’D Quite. Thank you very much; that was indeed in need of clearing up. I guess that’s what I get for not being around. 😛

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice
                      • Total Posts: 3365

@northerner @kate-flournoy

Personally, I decided to hang around here because I don’t have enough time for two forums (though I do have an account on SE) and because the people who I’ve become especially close to are still here (*cough* @alia @rochellaine @jenwriter17 @ariel-ashira ). I’m sad that everyone else has gone, but I felt I had to choose between one or the other at this stage. I’m confident that sooner or later I will end up being active on SE, but not yet. I’m standing by KP for the foreseeable future 😛

And we aren’t really angry at SE, but we do miss out friends who have gone over there 🙁

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17
                        • Total Posts: 2522

@notherner well, there are some of us that are staying here ’til we’re old and grey 😛 But, if you’re worried about being able to still grow as a writer here, I’d say these writers here will still give their advice and input. I still grow even though SE is launched. Yes, Daeus and Josiah and the staff-pros-people are at SE, so you’ll probably get more advice from more people and people with more experience.

So I guess you’ll just have to decide what your writing needs, but I still think the writers here will still help you grow. 🙂

Are new people still able to sign up for the forum? I thought that’d been disabled…

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                        www.jennaterese.com

Ariel Ashira
                        @ariel-ashira
                          • Total Posts: 739

@northerner @kate-flournoy I love SE!  A lot!  It has pretty much the same mission as KP.  I go over there all the time to haunt the forum and read the new articles which have been amazing.  Still, it saddens me that KP is not what is used to be and so many people have left.  My best friends though ( @alia @seekjustice @rochellaine @jenwriter17 especially)  are still here and we still learn a lot together.  I am in no way hoping that SE will fall!  I just wish KP was also alive like it used to be, and I still dream of the day when it will be.  Us rising against SE, writing a Declaration, and even my forum signature, are all a joke.  Still, KP will always have a special place in my heart.  I am an Emberian. but I am also very much still a Kapeefer, and that will never change.

"In a mask, was he?"

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@ariel-ashira

It gives me warm fuzzy feelings being told I’m one of someone’s best friends 😀

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Ariel Ashira
                            @ariel-ashira
                              • Total Posts: 739

@seekjustice I cried when you said the same of me.

"In a mask, was he?"

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice

@ariel-ashira

Awwww…really? *hugs*

Northerner
                                @northerner
                                  • Total Posts: 244

@Rochellaine, that’s good to hear. Like Kate, I was getting worried too.

And, @kate-flournoy, I was in a writing group before, on Ravelry (Hope might remember it), and a lot of the older writers left for another group, leaving just us less experienced ones, and so through all this I’ve been remembering the downturn that group took in terms of quality.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >