Smoke and Mirrors Progress report!/Where I’m at in life

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Smoke and Mirrors Progress report!/Where I’m at in life

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daisy Torres
    @daisy-torres
      • Total Posts: 691

Hey everyone!! I’ve been a bit AWOL lately, but that’s because some pretty amazing stuff has happened in the last few months and I’ve been pretty busy.

What’s so amazing, you ask? Well, first off, I moved out of my parent’s house about half a year ago now, which has really given me less time to write now that I’m working a full-time job and trying to live an actual life. But I feel like this is where God wants me right now, and I’m so happy with where I’m at.

That said, the last few months I’ve had some pretty bad writer’s block/burnout. For a little while, I contemplated whether I’d ever finish Smoke and Mirrors. I’m still wondering that, but I’m a lot closer now than I was a few months ago.

A month or so ago I hit my 100k word marker!! This book is now at 102,554 words (which again shows that I haven’t written a ton lately, but whatever XD) I have 47 chapters written, 45 of which are available to read on my blog for free, and I still love my characters and this story, and it’s really taken on some deeper meanings for me.

I never set out to make it allegorical or meaningful, but I think that, accidentally, it happened anyway. And I’m okay with that—after all, isn’t that part of giving our writing to God and letting Him have His way with it anyway?

This book has been a whole rollercoaster for me. I’ve poured out the damaged parts of myself into Sterling to make him who he is. I’ve had to stretch my brain and reimagine life the way Tessa would to write things from her more bubbly perspective. There’s been a lot of bad puns and tears poured into this book, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I’m really not sure what I’m updating about Smoke and Mirrors, but I felt like doing some kind of a progress report for you guys who have stuck with reading it, and for my future self to come back and see. It’s always exciting when we look back to posts like these and see how far we’ve come since then.

Keep your chin up, Writers!!! I love you guys and appreciate all of the support y’all have given me, even when I’m only pumping out a couple words a week.

What about you guys? Where are y’all at in life, or in your books? I’d love to hear about it!!

Read Smoke and Mirrors on my blog here: https://authordaisytorres.wixsite.com/writingdaisies

@gracie-j
      @issawriter7 @nova21 @abigail-m @koshka @godlyfantasy12 @devastate-lasting @anyone!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@daisy-torres Daisyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I missed you! I’m so glad to hear that you’re alive! Congratulations on the milestones you’ve hit with your book! I’m happy to hear that everything is going well for you.

As for me, well, I’m currently prepping to go back to college again. Before I do I’m hoping to complete the first draft of a project I’ve been working on since spring break, which has really grown near and dear to me, and I’m excited to start working on it again starting tomorrow. Otherwise, it’s just been trying to balance life and stay afloat, deciding what to work on and what not to work on, etc. Life. Y’know.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Gracie J.
        @gracie-j
          • Total Posts: 1789

@daisy-torres OLD BUDDY OLD PAL!!!! I was literally just thinking this morning (as I read your last chapter of Smoke & Mirrors, my favorite thing to do before leaving for church) how much I ADORE that story!!! YOU GO, GIRL!!!! I absolutely cannot wait to see where God takes you and your work!!! And OMGOSH YES STERLING HE IS SO PERFECT. And those “bad puns”? They crack me up every time!!! Tessa is HILARIOUS!!!

Anyway, thank you SO MUCH for the progress report!!!

And CONGRATULATIONS on all that has happened in your life lately!!! I’ll be keeping you in my prayers, sister! LOVE YOU TOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

As for me, still hangin’ in there. Finished Bound and Determined (after two and a half years of writing) at the end of March. Started an editing business and am super busy with that. Gonna take my final class in August to get my certification as a small business marketing manager in October. Still haven’t gotten my driver’s license yet. *hides* Otherwise, much the same! *shrugs*

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Daisy Torres
          @daisy-torres

@devastate-lasting I’ve missed you tooooooo!!!! I’m going to try to be a little more active on here XD I love this community, I’m just not great at staying super active on it :))) Thank you so much!!!

Eeek college?? That’s exciting!!! aww good luck with your first draft!! It’s always so exciting to get those first foundations laid. Ahh, I relate so much with the trying to balance things bit lol. You’ve got this girl, you’re doing amazing!! I’m glad things are going well for you!

@gracie-j
            Awww thank you so much!!! That literally puts such a smile on my face XD I’m so glad you love them!!! I have so much fun writing from Tessa’s perspective, she really lets me get the dad jokes out of my system XD

Girlll thankkkk youuu!!! I’ll definitely be needing your prayers! Pray for endurance and wisdom especially, those are both huge things I need.

WOW seriously??? That’s FANTASTIC!! GREAT job on finishing it!! I’m so stoked for you!!! Ooo I’ve heard of your business!! You seriously amaze me, you’re getting so much accomplished!!! And don’t worry about the driver’s license thing—I don’t have one either :))) I’m working on it though. Maybe we’ll get them at the same time XD For now, I just have to make sure an experienced driver is riding with me.

You’re doing fantastic Gracie, I’m literally so proud of you!!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Gracie J.
            @gracie-j

@daisy-torres YOU’RE SO WELCOME!!! Of course!! BAHAHA!!!

Awwww, you’re welcome!!!! Absolutely, girl!! <3333

YES!! (Took me long enough, right? XD) THANK YOU!!! AWWW!! *beams* Ahhh, I’m not the only one! Phew! OOH! Maybe so!! Yep, same!

AWWW!!! That means so much!!! Thank you!!! I’m so proud of you too! 😀

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting

@daisy-torres Yeah, I can’t believe it’s already second year. Where has the time gone? T^T

I have so many projects lined up, haha, and I’ve gone through so many projects in these past few years, but for this one I’m excited that I’ll finally get to the editing stage and, *ahem*, attempt to publish it. Gonna actually properly use betas this time and whatnot…

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 8156

@daisy-torres. I don’t believe I have ever met you, but CONGRATULATIONS on your book! It’s always wonderful to see God take things a different direction. 🙂 CONGRATS! <3 And God bless! <3

Koshka
                  @koshka
                    • Total Posts: 1424

@daisy-torres

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE finish this book! I want to know how it ends…*gasp*

I SERIOUSLY didn’t see that last chapter coming. Did you know that would happen?

Now that part of her prophecy is over, we need to heal Sterling please? And get those two on cordial terms.

Poor things.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Daisy Torres
                    @daisy-torres

@gracie-j Aww thanks!! (Bahaha I mean it’s all in due time, can’t rush art am I right XD)

@devastate-lasting
                      Girlll you’re going to publish it?? That’s fantastic!!! I’m super happy for you and I hope the editing stage goes well!!!

@freedomwriter76 I don’t believe I ever met you either but THANK YOU!!! It seriously is, and it’s also rewarding knowing that it’s going to go in a deeper direction than if I tried forcing it somewhere by myself XD It’s nice to meet you!! God bless you too!!! <3

@koshka
                      Hehe I’m trying XD Chapters are coming a bit slow, but I definitely want to see it through to the end, and maybe even do *cough* a prequel from a different character’s perspective :)))) We’ll see how it goes though XD I did know it would happen! At first I didn’t, but somewhere around chapter 20 I realised Tessa’s true destiny. The rest of it was just slowly weaving it in XD Thank you so much for reading, I seriously appreciate it!!!!

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 8156

@daisy-torres. You’re Very Welcome! Aww, that’s great. I’m so happy for you! 😀 (and yes. Forcing our books doesn’t go well. XD)

It’s wonderful to meet you too! Maybe I’ll get to see you around some more! 🙂

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting

@daisy-torres Thank you! I hope everything goes well with you too!

Gracie J.
                          @gracie-j

@daisy-torres You’re welcome! (Haha, tru dat! XD)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >