Singing

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Music Singing

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    ClaireC
    @clairec
      • Total Posts: 628

New Topic. As requested by a bunch of girls who started talking about it in the ‘prayer requests’ topic. *tries to frown* *fails* *grins*. 🙂

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper
        • Total Posts: 3515

I shall tag the singers: @kate-flournoy @ethryndal @that_writer_girl_99 @daeus 😛
        Now, the Dragon hardly sings. I know nothing about it. 😀

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

Is there an intended use for this topic @clairec

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

Okay so I’m curious. How many singers do we have on here, and how many of those actually have some vocal training?
            I don’t. 😛 I sing because I love it and I can’t help it. Several years ago I looked up some basic mechanics tutorials on Youtube and learned about proper breathing and voice control, but that’s about it.

FeedingMyGoldfish
            @feedingmygoldfish
              • Total Posts: 47

@kate-flourney *raises hand and hops around with a grin* I LOVE singing, and my mom was a vocal/piano pedagogy major in college, so she’s given me some training here and there. Mainly, she taught me breath control and enunciation. I’ve practiced ornamentation on my own. (Is that what you call it in singing? That’s what you call the little notes that depart from the actual melody when you’re playing the fiddle… Guess what instrument I used to play, haha! :P)

@dragon-snapper
              Did the Dragon used to sing? I’ve never heard of a singing dragon. *dozens of story ideas rush into brain*

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

@FeedingMyGoldfish nice! That’s great that your mom could teach you. My mom taught me piano and basically began my musical ‘career’. 😉
                I don’t see why it wouldn’t be called ornamentation.

What do you primarily like to sing?
                I have preferences, but if I’m honest I’ll pretty much sing anything that has the faintest suggestion of a good tune, with or without words. XD

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper

@feedingmygoldfish Ah…it’s quite complicated actually. I did some minor singing for a children’s group when I was a lot younger, then for a while I didn’t do much singing. Now, I only sing with guitar. However, I have no training, and I don’t do it regularly either. But there’s a problem when I sing as a dragon. I tend to melt stuff. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

@FeedingMyGoldfish Oramentation, aka grace notes. Right? Some of them at least. Those things are so fun, for violin and voice.
                    And you used to FIDDLE? *gasp* Please, tell me how I can make my violin sound fiddly!

FeedingMyGoldfish
                    @feedingmygoldfish

@kate-flournoy I totally misspelled your name. Oops. *sheepish grin* I will sing pretty much anything as well; my taste in music ranges from admirably tasteful and cultured to embarrassingly okay with on-trend pop. 😛 I draw the line if it’s a song with one annoying phrase repeated over and over, or one with enough percussion to totally hide what little melody there is, along with the yeller’s voice. Yelling is not my thing. At all. My absolute favorite thing to sing is probably opera pop.

@dragon-snapper
                      I could see how melting things could be a problem. XD That’s cool that you play guitar. What style do you play?

@emma-flournoy
                      On the fiddle, it’s grace notes, bowed triplets, slides, and cuts. Here’s a really good article on how to do these: http://www.mickconneely.com/ornamentation.html. Now, this is specifically Irish, but most American fiddling styles are deeply rooted in Irish music. (Possibly with the exception of Cajun fiddling…I believe that is truly more French in origin and style.) Another thing you can do is make sure your bow hair are loose (but not at all droopy, of course). This makes them extra grabby, so you can make that crunching sound on the strings with extra pressure, as well as being able to do double stops better and switch strings quicker.

Wow. I just realized I really miss playing the fiddle. Summer project after graduation!

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy
                        • Total Posts: 1352

@FeedingMyGoldfish Hey, thanks! I’ll take a look. I’ve looked up how to sound fiddly so many times…I’m self taught so most of my info comes from where I can find it online. But nothing I’ve read about fiddling has stuck well. I want to be able to play like a violinist and a fiddler. 😛
                        Specifically Irish is good. I like Irish/British style fiddling a lot better than American.
                        And I don’t think I knew that about the bow hairs! So thank you a million, I’ll have to try that. Definitely sounds like it would work (at least once you get the hang of it). I always wondered how they make that crunching sound, when they’re using the same tools a violinist uses.

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper

@feedingmygoldfish I do both classical and contemporary, but the classical isn’t as fancy as some people might do it. I can play a melody very easily, but if it has some accompaniment, it may take a bit longer for my fingers to figure it out.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

ClaireC
                          @clairec

@daeus. To talk about singing.
                            See? They didn’t need much guidance, did they? Don’t you love the way topics grow so quickly?

@kate-flournoy
                            , Same! Some very minor training from a musical theatre class I used to attend, but that’s about it. My sister and I sing aaallll the time, though, and whenever I start singing, I just look at her and she breaks into a harmony. I help lead the singing in church and do the odd item here and there.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by ClaireC.

ClaireC
                            @clairec

Everyone take this!! It’s pretty cool…
                              As I mentioned in ‘Prayer Requests’, I’m B3 to C6. That makes me a soprano… 🙂 Who else loves singing opera? *raises hand*

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by ClaireC.

ClaireC
                              @clairec

Speaking of cool……….:)

FeedingMyGoldfish
                                @feedingmygoldfish

@emma-flournoy I want to learn all the fiddling styles…Irish, English, Texas swing, Cajun, Spanish, etc. Basically I just love folk music, period. 😛 The crunching sound is a result of a softer bow, as well as really digging into the strings close(ish) to the frog. Another fun thing to try when playing quicker tunes is holding the bow about a third of the length from the frog. It feels weird at first, but it’s so much better for switching strings quickly!

@dragon-snapper
                                  Oh, who cares about fancy? It’s cool enough that you play the guitar, whatever the style. 🙂 I think you might like Ken Wood’s music. He basically plays a stripped-down classical style.

@clairec
                                  Singing…and also fiddling, apparently… That would be my fault. XD So my vocal range, taking into account that it’s probably a couple of steps lower and higher because I couldn’t sing in my full voice at the time, is E3 to G5. I think that makes me an alto?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >