Should I be publishing my new work to my blog?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform Should I be publishing my new work to my blog?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 96

I’ve written a lot of short stories over the summer (two dozen -ish) and posted them on my blog. I’m wondering if I should keep doing that so I can build up a bigger reader base or if I should be saving the stories and submitting them.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@josiahDeboer I would probably submit them to sites or compile them into an anthology. I haven’t observed posting stories on a blog to be a strong way to grow readership. It could probably work if you know how to promote a blog, but submitting stories to websites would probably be better for promotion. A book could make a good opt-in offer, or you could make money selling it.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice
          • Total Posts: 3365

@JosiahDeboer, Personally, I publish only the occasional short story on my blog and I concentrate on submitting them to magazines and/or competitions. That’s just my opinion, but its what I would recommend.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Anonymous

Okay – that makes a lot of sense @Daeus and @seekjustice

But, if I do that, what do I do with my blog? What about the stories that are already on there and are hard to submit elsewhere? Should I take them down and go try to find places that will accept pieces that have been previously public?

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@josiahdeboer I think you should just leave them there. If people don’t mind previously published stories, then it should be fine if it’s still up on your site. Plus, it’s nice to have some stories for your followers to read.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice
                • Total Posts: 3365

@josiahdeboer, again what @daeus said. Just leave them there for people to enjoy. Concentrate your new stories (which are likely to have improved anyway!) on competitions. It’s very hard to find magazines/competitions which will take pieces which have already been published (though some of them might be more lenient when it comes to a personal blog. as a general rule though, they won’t take them). I hope that’s helpful!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Anonymous

Thanks. I just wish I realized that at the beginning of the summer . . .

Hannah R.
                  @his-instrument
                    • Total Posts: 229

Hi @josiahdeboer! I don’t think I’ve met you yet. Welcome to Kingdom Pen!
                    I’ve been going through a similar situation as a fiction author, trying to build a following through blogging. I just started my blog (hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com), but I plan to blog about Scripture, writerly things, and whatever else is on my heart (which could have to do with reading, music, or any number of other things), with an occasional poem or short story thrown in to demonstrate my writing style. I think readers like to see non-fiction on the blogs of fiction authors, because it lets them get to know the author outside of the author’s fiction.
                    So blog about what you’re learning in Scripture. About something you learned from a book you just read. About life in general (obviously not getting too personal). A good mix of non-fiction and your own stories should keep your audience interested in you as an author as well as in what you write. Hope this is helpful to you!

YA Fantasy Writer
                    Obsessive Character Namer
                    Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Jenna Terese
                    @jenwriter17
                      • Total Posts: 2522

If you want to submit your short stories to publishers or agents, some of them don’t like to use already published material (including stories on blogs, which they might consider published). But this might be a very slim percentage. I think you should collect your short stories, and maybe put one here and there on your blog. I hope this made sense and is helpful!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                      www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >