Self-doubt about writing

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics Self-doubt about writing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Zemira
    @zemira
      • Total Posts: 67

Hey everyone! I wanted to ask you all if you’ve ever been discouraged during your writing lives? I’m just getting into writing and I long to write for Christ and His glory! But recently, I’ve been having self-doubt whether my writing is good enough or if I should even try at all. And I wanted to ask if anyone here has been in this situation and if they have gotten out of it before?

hurt people, hurt others
      healed people, heal others
      get saved, save someone else...you never know

Zemira
      @zemira
        • Total Posts: 67

@whalekeeper @godlyfantasy12 @freedomwriter76

hurt people, hurt others
        healed people, heal others
        get saved, save someone else...you never know

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings
          • Total Posts: 2794

@zemira

Yep… it happens. I’d say for me in particular writing was a little bit going out a a limb for me. I’ve always kinda been ‘the artist’ lol, so I was really under-confident about it, but had lots of ideas. Kp has really helped me a lot with this, because it’s just such a supportive environment. I get in that place when I stop writing because I love it. for instance…. when I start dreaming about the day I might possibly have a published comic series and what if I ended up at comic-con… yeah you get the point. That’s not why I write and so I try to keep those things off my mind. Writing for your own enjoyment and for God is where I try to keep it to, but it’s hard to not compare. especially when the people around you have been writing as their main hobby for years. I just started last summer. I’ve made a lot of progress, but yeah it’s easy to compare yourself. I think the best way to make progress when you are doubting is to compare yourself to older you. For instance, feel good about the fact you just spent an hour writing or got a little bit better at describing, instead of thinking that you are not as good as somebody else. Also, keep your old writing! You’ll be shocked how bad it is after you’ve improved, and it’s always great encouragement to see the long term progress.

へびは かっこいい です!

Esther
          @esther-c
            • Total Posts: 3205

@zemira

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced this personally, (probably because I’ve got arrogance issues that I seriously need to get rid of 😂), but I can understand where you’re coming from. Like, I know my writing isn’t that great, but I know that if I keep writing, I will improve. It just takes time (lots of time) and effort (lots of effort). So just be willing to put that in. 🙂

The great thing about God (among the many other things that I could go on and on about) is that He wants to use those who are willing. They don’t necessarily need any special talent. And if you do have a talent or a skill that you enjoy and desire to use for God’s glory (for example: writing), He’ll help you develop it and get better at it if you ask him. It’s not about your ability, it’s all about your availability.

And comparison can be an easy trap to fall into. I’ve compared my writing to others’ before, but I noticed a few things: 1) I have my own writing style, and it’s different from other writers’ styles. 2) If God wants me to write for Him, He’ll help me every step along the way. 3) The only writing I should be comparing my writing to, is my own. That helps me get better and see where I’ve improved, and where I can improve.

Most importantly, pray. God wants to hear from you, and He’ll help you in your writing journey. Tell Him your struggles and triumphs. Ask for His help and guidance. He’s always there for you. 😊

I hope any of my rambles helped you at all. XD Anyway, I’ll be praying for you! 🙏🏼 Keep on writing!! ❤️

• This reply was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by Esther.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          >