Sci-Fi Theme Idea

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Sci-Fi Sci-Fi Theme Idea

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer
      • Total Posts: 243

Something I’ve come across a lot of in media recently is AI and the question of whether or not human-like AI counts as “human” or “a person.” It’s something that’s been really thought-provoking for me as I consider it through a biblical worldview, and I’d love to see books or other media written by Christians that explores that theme.

There’s part of me that’s tempted to write it myself (“If you don’t see a book you want to read, write it,” lol), but I know I don’t actually have a solid enough worldview on it myself or enough of an understanding of tech or how AI would likely be treated in general to write it well, so I thought I’d toss it out here in case anyone else is intrigued by the idea. 🙂

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

E. K. Seaver
      @e-k-seaver
        • Total Posts: 344

@r-m-archer, it’s certainly an interesting concept. It very well could be that AI could count as a person. I recently read an article (or listened to a podcast–I can’t remember) and it basically ended with “If God wanted to give AI a soul that would never die, then He certainly could. But we don’t perfectly know the mind of God and so we don’t actually know what He’d choose.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
        ekseaver.wordpress.com

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer

@e-k-seaver That’s true… I personally think it’s unlikely, though. He created humans specifically, giving them alone the breath of life and dominion over the rest of creation. Plus, I feel like creating life-like AI could have an underlying current of trying to be like God, which would be a no-go. And even if not, I don’t think humans have the capacity to create an AI that would be truly self-aware enough to have faith as is necessary for a relationship with Christ.

Of course, we can’t know for sure unless/until it happens, but that’s my take on it as it stands now. It’s something I’m still somewhat getting my bearings on, lol.

(I’m also not sure marriage between humans and AIs would be biblically acceptable… but that’s its own offshoot of debate. :P)

E. K. Seaver
          @e-k-seaver
            • Total Posts: 344

@r-m-archer, no, I agree with you there. I feel it’d be very unlike– well I actually agree with all your points and used them as arguments when I first read the article. (I mentally argue with nearly everything I read. XD) But yes, I’d agree with you.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
            ekseaver.wordpress.com

R.M. Archer
            @r-m-archer

@e-k-seaver Cool. ;D (I do the same thing, lol.) I appreciate you sharing the article’s conclusion! It allowed me to work out my thoughts on it more concretely, and it’s definitely a valid observation to be considered with everything else. 🙂

Also, if you’re interested: I posted this on the Story Embers forums, too, and Daeus Lamb recommended the book Synapse by Steven James. I’ve read about eight chapters of it so far and its exploration of the connotations of AI and other futuristic tech is really fascinating.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >