Rough Drafting Book 2!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Rough Drafting Book 2!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

@gracie-j @joy-caroline @scripter-of-kingdoms @devastate-lasting @issawriter7 @nova21 @wyn-rose

@I-can’t-think-of-others-lol

Hey y’all! So, as the title states above, I will be starting the rough draft of book 2 of my series, which is, as of right now, called Fate’s Rebellion!

So I wanted to get y’all on board with me and see if y’all have any ideas/encouragement! You see, I’m gonna be pantsing it, or whatever. Like, ill probably brainstorm a main thing….maybe lol. Some of the reason I’ve decided to do that is 1, I’m excited to start it and 2, I’m not entirely sure on how I’m gonna write it, so I’ll build up ideas as I write.

So the overall idea is this

Arabella, November, and Jocelyn (along with Nyx) have left Cirque and have traveled to a snow-filled land full of forests, etc. This land is inhabited by wolf shapeshifters, who are in a constant state of battle due to wicked rulers who have taken over the pack.

The four are thrown into the midst of it when they’re taken by the small rebellion and discover the horrible things that have happened. They decide that, as long as they’re here, they should help somehow, even if they can’t fight.

A new POV is introduced: Grimm, the leader of the rebellion.

So this is new ground for me cuz there’s gonna be fights and such and im not sure how to go about it, so I think jumping right in is my best bet.

So….if any of y’all are kinda familiar with those kinda books and such (with rebellions, rulers, etc)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Abigail.M.
      @abigail-m
        • Total Posts: 1242

@godlyfantasy12

If you’re looking for books with rulers/armies/medieval government/battles/warriors/and knights/etc; the new york times bestselling Ranger’s Apprentice fits the description pretty adequately. I’ve only read one book so far, but it might be a series you may be interested in:)

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@godlyfantasy12 Whoa, good luck on all of that! I’m afraid I can’t help much in these aspects, but I’m sure there are other people here who can!

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Kads
          @scripter-of-kingdoms
            • Total Posts: 765

@godlyfantasy12 YOU HAVE TAGGED THE RIGHT PERSONNNNNNN!!! I think like- 3- no, 4 of my books have war/rebellion in ’em. I loooooove putting betrayal in my stories, so maybe one of the wolves helpes your characters, but then at the end TURNS ON THEM and LEAVES THEM TO DIE. *cackles* Nono, jk, jk, but that’s just an example of what you could do. War always has to have EPIC dialogue, though, too, or else it kind of just sounds silly, like your characters are having a playdate but with weapons involved. Use heavy description in war scenes as well, because you want the reader to get a sense of how bad it is and how badly the characters feel about it. There are often three types of people in a war scene: Offender, defender, and the helpless. Offender would be the people who have attacked, defender the people who are defending against the attack, and helpless might be categorized as people running for their lives away from the scene. XD For Grimm’s perspective, you might want to highlight heavy decisions he has to make, or something like that.

Hope that kinda helped. Also, very nice title, I like it. <3

staring at the fields
            if nothing's really real
            i'll make the winter now my home

Wyn Rose
            @wyn-rose
              • Total Posts: 57

@godlyfantasy12

Starting a new book is so exciting! I don’t know that I can help you much with rebellions and all that stuff (haven’t written any myself yet), but when I try writing new things like that I usually just jump in like you said and leave the rest to worry about after the first draft is complete. I don’t know if that’s the best possible idea, but it’s worked for me so far. You may also want to check out some other books and resources pertaining to the same sorts of issues that your book does. Your story sounds really interesting!

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 1379

@godlyfantasy12

Sounds so exciting! I’m not so sure what you mean by fights… but I’ll put a link to an article I wrote on my blog a while back. It’s about writing torture scenes… not sure if that’s what you meant, but some of the tips I think you may be able to apply to fighting? Hope this helps maybe a little. 🙂

How to Craft a Heartwrenching Torture Scene for Your Novel

Abigail.M.
                @abigail-m
                  • Total Posts: 1242

@godlyfantasy12

I just remembered something else, (I don’t know if it helps or not), but KP has an excellent article called How To Write A Truly Tragic Death (And Avoid Cliches). And in it there’s also a video. I know you were asking about battles and I think that quite a few things in that article can indirectly offer advice on wars. The best tip in the video is based off the saying “you don’t write about the horrors of war. You describe a kid’s burned shoes in the middle of the road,” (I don’t remember who wrote that) but it had a very good point. That when driving home the horrible things in war, bringing attention to a small contrasting detail (like a picture of a soilder’s family in the mud or a butterfly), it magnifies how terrible the battle is/was and improves the overall scene.

Issabelle Perry
                  @issawriter7
                    • Total Posts: 976

@godlyfantasy12

YESSSS!!!!!! That’s SOOO AWESOME that you’re starting the sequel!!! WAY TO GO!!!! I’ve been like soooo nervous to start the sequel to Into the Lamp and have been putting it off, so I seriously highly respect you for doing this!! AWESOME!!! Anyways, I LOOOVE the books with the fighting and rebellion and that stuff. Actually, my latest WIP is gonna have a lot of this stuff going on. So like I think a lotta others are saying, read books that have the fight scenes and stuff you wanna incorporate and this might sound ridiculous but just study how the author does it. I’m gonna recommend The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen. The first one doesn’t really have as much of that stuff in but the later ones do. Also you could check out Fawkes by Nadine Brandes (if you’ve not read the book already 😉 ). And here’s a REALLY great article that might help you out. https://wildwritingdreams.wordpress.com/2019/03/18/top-5-ways-to-writing-a-killer-fight-scene/ And GOOD LUCK writing the second book!!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                    TeenWritersNook.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >