Published Authors?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform Published Authors?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Felicity
    @felicity
      • Total Posts: 811

I’m curious who all on here is published and what method you’ve used! What are your opinions on traditional vr self publishing? And has anyone heard of Canon Press?

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 147

@felicity

Hi! My name’s Wilder W….not my real name, but anyway. I’m a published author of currently 1 book, Rise of the LivingWood. I went through KDP, Kindle Direct Publishing. I prefer self- publish over traditional for the reason that SP allows freedom of the author and they usually are cheaper. Where as TP you need a steady pay for your publishing (with the exception that maye you get in through a challenge).

I will say KDP does have  a con as well, such as:

. The pay for your book its little. Printing is expensive currently. It’s 9 dollars plus tax. Expensive. Yup.

I don’t have much time on here…but, I’ll probably send you some other stuff later. I encourage you to do some research. Look up the differences, see the pros and cons.

Erica
        @starofthenorth
          • Total Posts: 199

@felicity

Hey there! So I haven’t been published yet, but I’ve found two books that have been very helpful:

#1. Writing Children’s Books by Anthony Fredericks. This book is mostly concentrated on children’s books (obviously), picture books, etc., but the advice on publishing is very good. He talks about the pros and cons of traditional and self-publishing (he’s done both).

#2. How to Make a Living as a Writer by James Scott Bell. He has actually made a good salary on self-published books, but he’s also written, like, 30 or 40 books!

So there’s my two cents. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Erica.

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Felicity
          @felicity

@wilder-w

Hello! 🙂

Thanks for the info! And that’s amazing that you’ve published a book! I checked it on Amazon and the cover/first impression was positive and peaked my interest.

I definitely like the idea of self publishing because, like you said, the author can have total control over their book if they so choose. I’ll admit that KDP is a good way to go for most people but I’m doing an Amazon withdrawal (just a personal preference) so I’m looking for other options.

Although if I had to do traditional publishing I would use someone like Canon Press or Rabbit Room Press which are both Christian publishing companies.

I still have so much to learn and a lot of editing to do before I jump into publishing, but it never hurts to glean info where I can!

Thanks! Yes I’ll research pros/cons etc.

Felicity
            @felicity

@starofthenorth

Hey!!

I’ll check those out! I’ve read A+ Student’s Guide: Ten Steps To Writing and Publishing by Rachel Rittenhouse but found it a bit vague. Thanks!

R.M. Archer
              @r-m-archer
                • Total Posts: 243

@felicity

I’ve self-published a standalone short story, two short story collections, and a novel. I prefer self-publishing, personally, for the freedom it provides and for the opportunity to work with my own choice of collaborators (editors, artists, etc.), but I would like to try traditional publishing down the road as well for the sake of having the experience with both.

I’ve written a blog post outlining the pros and cons I see in each approach, and @rachel-leitch and I exchanged blog posts earlier this year that went over why I chose self-publishing and why she chose traditional publishing. (I’ll link that in a second post so the forum doesn’t eat this post.)

Like @wilder-w, I used KDP to self-publish, and for a chunk of this year I sold books through both Amazon and my website (the tool I was using for my site shop broke, or else I’d still be doing both; I need to get that fixed).

Canon Press and Rabbit Room Press are both awesome, especially if you’re looking into publishing non-fiction. If you’re a fiction author, Enclave Publishing would be my top recommendation (and when I do venture into trad pub, that’s where I plan to go), but the other two are still good choices.

I’m always happy to discuss this topic further (especially indie publishing), and I have further resources on my site, so if you have any more specific questions feel free to let me know! 🙂

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

R.M. Archer
                @r-m-archer

Got the tag wrong. @rachel-l? @rachel?

Anyway, here’s the post she wrote for my blog.

R.M. Archer
                  @r-m-archer

I can’t figure out her tag. That’s frustrating. I’ll have to look into that.

But here’s a direct link to my post on her blog, as well, so you don’t have to scroll down and find it.

Felicity
                    @felicity

@r-m-archer

Thanks so much for all the helpful info! I’ll definitely be checking them out.

R.M. Archer
                      @r-m-archer

@felicity My pleasure!

R.M. Archer
                        @r-m-archer

@felicity

I’ve self-published a standalone short story, two short story collections, and a novel. I prefer self-publishing, personally, for the freedom it provides and for the opportunity to work with my own choice of collaborators (editors, artists, etc.), but I would like to try traditional publishing down the road as well for the sake of having the experience with both.

I’ve written a blog post outlining the pros and cons I see in each approach, and @rachel-leitch and I exchanged blog posts earlier this year that went over why I chose self-publishing and why she chose traditional publishing.

Like @wilder-w, I used KDP to self-publish, and for a chunk of this year I sold books through both Amazon and my website (the tool I was using for my site shop broke, or else I’d still be doing both; I need to get that fixed).

Canon Press and Rabbit Room Press are both awesome, especially if you’re looking into publishing non-fiction. If you’re a fiction author, Enclave Publishing would be my top recommendation (and when I do venture into trad pub, that’s where I plan to go), but the other two are still good choices.

I’m always happy to discuss this topic further (especially indie publishing), and I have further resources on my site, so if you have any more specific questions feel free to let me know! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >