Prayers in our writing

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics Prayers in our writing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Skredder
    @skredder
      • Total Posts: 527

I know that in a lot of books and stories that have Christians, and in general mention God, at least one of the characters prays. Typically, these prays are completely written out. However, I cannot bring myself to write out prayers for my characters because for me personally it seems almost like blasphemy, almost taking His name in vain.

I was wondering what others’ take on this is.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Joy
      @dekreel
        • Total Posts: 2304

@skredder  Well, I’m no expert, but I know for a fact that when one prays to God, whether it’s you or a fictional being, it isn’t blasphemy or taking His name in vain. Because you’re talking to God, you know! (Or whatever equivalent of God you have in your story) 🙂

You can pronounce it however you want.

Grace H.
        @gh24682468999
          • Total Posts: 199

@skredder I’m not a theologian either, but I certainly don’t think its blasphemous. In fact, if you are writing a story with the aim to glorify God and you’re using your characters and their actions to back that up, it really is the other way around!

And from what I know from what I’ve read in the Bible, I’m thinking you can apply the lessons from Romans 14, where Paul talks about the finer elements of faith, but how the point is “righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit” (v17). God doesn’t care about what we eat or how we commemorate our Sabbaths if our heart is right with Him and wanting what he wants, and focusing on the nit-picky details in life can in fact be detrimental (Colossians 2:20-23).

But then if you believe God wants you to abstain from doing certain things, then act on that conviction. 😉

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Grace H..

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
          literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Skredder
          @skredder

@dekreel I’ve just always felt like writing out a prayer that is supposed to be a real prayer for your character is like the boy who cried wolf. I know that’s not true, and I know that God knows the difference, it’s just felt like that because it’s something fake representing and supposed to be something real for the characters.I have no idea if what I wrote makes any actual sense. 🙂

@gh24682468999
            That makes sense.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

MNValentine
            @mnvalentine
              • Total Posts: 123

@skredder I agree with them. A well written prayer can move a reader deeply, especially if it’s a long-awaited moment. If you’re writing God into your book, it seems important to show your characters praying for the reasons Grace and Dekreel gave.

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

Skredder
              @skredder

@mnvalentine Hmm, yes, that does make sense. I know that I’ve read really good books with really good prayers in them. That’s a good point.

Kaya Young
                @kaya-young
                  • Total Posts: 272

@skredder  I think it depends on the prayer. If it’s mocking or unnecessary, then it seems blasphemous. But if it’s sincere, and serves a purpose, then it isn’t. I’ve noticed when prayers in books seem forced and unnecessary to the character’s growth they feel blasphemous.

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
                  http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice
                    • Total Posts: 3365

@skredder I personally don’t feel it’s wrong. When I write prayers for my novels, in some ways it’s sort of like the prayer is my prayer. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but since my characters are all, in some way, a reflection of me, their prayers, their struggles, and of course the God they are praying too, are all my prayers, struggles and My God. I don’t feel it’s wrong, I feel that it’s another way for me to pray for those things, and for the people reading to pray for those things.

For example, in one novel, a girl prays continually for strength  (both physical and spiritual/emotional) and that’s something I also continually pray for, so for me, its my prayer which I’ve given to a fictional character in order to help others who struggle with that lack of strength. It’s not any less real.

However, I know I’ve written prayers I’m uncomfortable with, and I’ve read prayers that struck me as “fake”. If you feel a conviction not to write out your characters prayers and you feel that’s from God, then don’t. But I would consider if you can write  a convincing Christian character who doesn’t pray.

I hope that makes sense (and I hope I don’t sound rude) 😀

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Skredder
                    @skredder

@seekjustice Yes, that does make sense. And no, you didn’t sound rude. 🙂

In what I’ve done so far, I wrote that the person prayed and I wrote the emotion surrounding the prayer. I just didn’t write the prayer itself. I do think it’s impossible to write a christian character who doesn’t pray.

@kaya-young
                      Yeah, you’ve got a good point there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >