Prayer Requests

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 874 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy Thanks. I guess this is a refining experience.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Mallory O’Bier
      @overcomer
        • Total Posts: 550

Praying for you, @daeus , that sounds tough … you know it’s probably not your story’s fault. Some people like to read about murder and such, and some don’t.

I enjoy reading murder mysteries, myself. 🙂 When it comes to the actual murder, though, I’d really rather be told about how it must have happened than have it described to me while it happens. It’s the investigation that interests me.

Not saying your story is a mystery, just using that genre as an example.

Sarah Hoven
        @sarah-h
          • Total Posts: 669

@daeus That’s so sad. I’m praying for you.

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus yes. Once you get through this (and you will, make no mistake) your relationship will be much stronger and built on better understanding.

Still praying.

Hope Ann
            @hope
              • Total Posts: 1092

I’m praying, @Daeus. I think I can safely say it’s not your writing which at fault. The scene is necessary as an inciting incident and it is tragic, but it isn’t gruesome. If everything written was sunshiny, then there’d not be much to write about…though I suppose hearing a murder in the first chapter could be startling if one wasn’t expecting anything of the sort.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Rolena Hatfield
              @rolena-hatfield
                • Total Posts: 405

@daeus I know I wasn’t tagged, but this very same thing happened to me a couple years ago. My sister and friend were just fine with the scene, but my mom left the room being disturbed. I was torn, cause like you I know I hadn’t done anything wrong, but had no intentions to upset my mom.
                For me the best thing was to talk with my mom later asking what about that scene had disturbed her and in turn she let me explain why I wrote that scene the way I did. We didn’t really resolve anything during that conversation, merely stated our thoughts, but I went away with the thought “Does something need to be taken out of this story in order to honor my mom?”
                Really hard for me to weigh something I poured my heart into against honoring my mom, but God commands us to honor them never mentioning that our books would trump that. I ended up weeding through the story removing what had disturbed her most, but leaving what I felt could still reflect honor to her. I actually don’t remember if I told her I did this or not.
                I’m not saying you need to remove the scene or even parts of it. Just sharing my experience. Like you said, it’s definitely a refining experience.

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Daeus
                @daeus

@rolena-hatfield Thanks. That’s good input. I’m gonna try to sift through that chapter soon and see if there’s any way I can tone it down without completely messing up the story. There’s one little detail in particular I’m already thinking I’m gonna change.

And a little update for y’all. Relational aspects are healing. Still a lot of difficult issues to work through though I won’t go into that, but I think I’ve still got my birthright (I like my birthright) and my mom’s up to hearing my defense of my work.

Which in case any of you are interested, will take form in an article because that is how I process difficult issues the best. Wouldn’t mind some second opinions on that if any of you are interested.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus that’s wonderful.

Well… the only input I could offer is, just explain how books are supposed to mirror reality because reality is truth, and in the long run ‘… the truth shall make you free.’ That probably goes without saying, so I don’t know how helpful that’ll be, but I hope it is, anyhow.

Emma Flournoy
                    @emma-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 1352

@Daeus
                      I know I haven’t read your book, though Kate’s told me stuff about it (I hear it’s really good. I.e., genius. 😀 ). But I’m sorry you’re having this difficulty, and I’m going to be praying.

That article sounds like a really good idea, btw. Writing out thoughts helps me better understand them too.

I hope you get everything fixed to the satisfaction of all parties, with no one sad.

Sarah Hoven
                      @sarah-h
                        • Total Posts: 669

@daeus I’m so glad things are going better. I’d like to read your article, although I’m not very good at giving advice.

Jada Morrison
                        @jadamae
                          • Total Posts: 199

@Daeus I am praying for you.

ClaireC
                          @clairec
                            • Total Posts: 628

I’m praying too, @daeus. God will support and guide you through this difficult time.

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Daeus
                            @daeus

@sarah-h @anyone-else I’ve got the article ready if you want to look at it.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Christine Eaton
                              @christi-eaton
                                • Total Posts: 306

@daeus, I wouldn’t mind taking a look at it.

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Daeus
                                @daeus

@christi-eaton Thanks. I’d love your input.

Now it looks like I’ve failed to hoard your email address among all the others, so if you want to send it to me, the securest way is through this contact form I have: http://www.thescratchingquill.com/contact/

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 874 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >