Politics

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien
      • Total Posts: 440

@anna-brie. The marriage issue. I am sick of that. It is so big here. Did you hear about Memories Pizza in Walkerton? Some reporter came in and asked if they would cater a gay wedding. They said no, since they’re Christians. So all these people came and protested for a while. But the funny thing was, they actually got a ton of donations because of that and were able to repaint and decorate the shop! And even funnier (in a sort-of way) Is that I live in Walkerton! I go to that place with my family. I’ve probably been more than a half a dozen times to the actual place, and we get take-out a lot. We just had it two days ago. (Really great by the way) The girl behind the counter most of the time Crystal, (could be Krystal I don’t know it’s spelling) knows us too.

I am a Conservative, and while I despise Democrats, I’m not exactly happy with all the Republicans at the moment.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Sarah Hoven
      @sarah-h
        • Total Posts: 669

@emma-flournoy I’m sorry for the lengthy silence; I was on a camping trip. (Yes, it was cold. 🙂 ) I remember the forum rules said we shouldn’t debate politics, and Trump is dreadfully controversial. I just wanted Anna to understand why I am so glad he won instead of Hillary. If I offended any Americans in the process, I didn’t mean to. I do have definite reasons for saying what I said, but I don’t like arguing, and I especially don’t like arguing politics. I will say that I totally understand and respect and partially – maybe largely – agree with your position. I hope it’s okay if I decline the debate, though? I would happily take you up if we could have a face to face conversation….. I’m really sorry. 🙂

@anne-of-lothlorien
        I remember that! It’s so cool that you live there! 🙂

Hope Ann
        @hope
          • Total Posts: 1092

I am a Conservative Republican/Independent. By which I mean that I generally vote Republican though I may not always agree with them and they seem to be getting more liberal by the year.

As for the elections this year…I don’t think it’s one I’ll ever forget. First Cruz and Trump, then Trump and Hillary, then election day itself and everything else going on now. It’s so insane.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@Sarah-H Oh dear, I didn’t know it was against the forum rules to debate politics. *hides face*

That’s all right though. I didn’t exactly want to argue about it, I just felt like saying something… *little shrug*

I hope you’ve thawed out from your camping trip. 😉

Rolena Hatfield
            @rolena-hatfield
              • Total Posts: 405

Christian. 🙂

Thank you to all for keeping this polite!

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

@Emma-Flournoy @Sarah-H not against the rules— it simply requests that no theological or political differences be the cause of ill-will or harsh words. I don’t believe for a minute either of you would do either of those 😛 , so feel free to debate if you want to.
                That said, there isn’t really much point in debating politics now that things are decided. :/ I’m not too cheerful about the outcome myself, but I hope I’m wrong. I hope you’re right about Trump, Sarah. I hope you’re right.

Hannah A. Krynicki
                @hannah-krynicki
                  • Total Posts: 81

@sarah-h I’m not an expert, but I guess I’ll attempt to explain, and everyone else can chime in and correct me…. Libertarians are similar to anti-Federalists and isolationists. Their name literally comes from the word “liberty,” so they favor as little government intervention at home and abroad as possible, and they usually respect the Bill of Rights. The only problem- albeit a biggie- is their lack of support for the sanctity of life and biblical marriage, as they believe everyone has a right to choose for themselves.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

@Hannah-Krynicki yup, that’s about it. Hardcore Libertarianism opts in favor of the constitutional system while ignoring the Biblical principles of morality that have made the system stand so long. They like the structure, but don’t care as much about the foundation. At least in my experience.

Hannah A. Krynicki
                    @hannah-krynicki
                      • Total Posts: 81

@kate-flournoy exactly. Maybe that has something to do with their Jeffersonian roots…

Sarah Hoven
                      @sarah-h

@Hannah-Krynicki Thank you for the explanation. I think I can safely say I am not a Libertarian. 🙂

@kate-flournoy
                        Ohhhh….Thank you for clarifying that.

@emma-flournoy
                        I can’t hide behind the forum rules anymore, but….I still don’t really want to debate. 🙂 Partly because I don’t like politics, and partly because I agree with most of what you said, although I’ve kept that side of my opinion in my head, so it might be hard to tell, and partly because, well, we’ve all heard Trump say a lot of things, and we’ve heard a lot of things said about him, but in a few months we’ll be able to see his actions and know what sort of leader he really is. I’m curious; who was your favorite candidate? Mine was Ted Cruz, although if Sarah Palin had run again, she would have been.

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy

@Sarah-H That’s just fine. 😀
                          Yup, we’ll be able to see for ourselves in awhile…that’ll be far more enlightening than anyone’s statements.

Our favorite candidate was hugely Ted Cruz. I hope he’ll do better in 2020. 😉

Sarah Hoven
                          @sarah-h

@emma-flournoy I heard today that Trump might make Ted Cruz Attorney General or something like that. That would be exciting!

Mark Kamibaya
                            @mark-kamibaya
                              • Total Posts: 318

Haven’t looked at posts so I might be repeating something but here are some thoughts . . .

–I heard that Priebus is a Christian. Anyone have a take on that?

–A certain comedian actually convinced me not to believe in polls anymore. I mean if someone asked you who you were voting for during pre-election season would you honestly tell them? Would you even talk to them? That’s an explanation for how the polls could’ve been “so wrong” because they favored Hillary so much.

–People focus on what is relevant to them. That’s why minorities (blacks, asians=me, hispanics) generally vote Democrat because the Democrats are more friendly toward minorities. That’s also the same reason why many white people can vote for racist Trump because his remarks aren’t as relevant to them

–Trump got a lot of Christian votes. I personally love him. Okay, I don’t. I prefer him over Hillary. So why did lots of Christians vote for a racist, bigoted, misogynist, homophobic billionaire? Probably because, like me, they preferred him over Hillary. But I also believe that there needs to be a line drawn where you can’t vote for someone like that. I don’t believe Trump is past that line, but I’m sure other people will be. Who else agrees?

–The candidates were referred to as Trump and Hillary. Why do we use one person’s last name and the other’s first name?

–Jimmy Fallon is a lucky man.Seriously. Watch this.

Now in the words of the great Ben Carson . . . “Can somebody attack me please?”

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Rolena Hatfield
                              @rolena-hatfield
                                • Total Posts: 405

Oh dear. I hope no one takes you up on your Ben Carson quote @mark-kamibaya.

Though there is much to be concerned about and wondered at after these post elections, (though which era has there not been, we’re still living in this world waiting for the one to come) God’s supreme sovereignty is my biggest comfort. I often turn to the Psalms when the trouble of this world seems overwhelming.

As many of you have stated, we could have so many discussions concerning this topic, but as Daeus said, it’d be best if we didn’t turn this into a 20 page thread. Better saved for a face to face conversation.

With that being said, continue to post with thoughtful caution friends!

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Emma Flournoy
                                @emma-flournoy

@Sarah-H Hm…intriguing…

@Mark-Kamibaya
                                  I might address several of your points, but I think Rolena’s right. I at least would rather not go into all of those on here, though if someone else takes you up I’ll be watching the conversation. 😉
                                  For this one though I heard that Priebus is a Christian. Anyone have a take on that? —I also heard that Trump’s a Christian. I don’t think someone saying they’re a Christian makes it true. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >