Please tell me I'm not the only one…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Please tell me I'm not the only one…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Joy Schmidt
    @joy-schmidt
      • Total Posts: 37

So I have a problem with writing…I seem to be really excited about a story until I’ve totally planned it out and have it perfect and I can see everything clearly in my head…and then I lose interest, like all I really want to do is solve the puzzle, and then I’m happy. Make any sense? Is there anyone else who is like this? Any way to fix this problem?!?!?!

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Joy-Schmidt hm… I have never actually encountered this exact problem, but I may have an idea of why it’s happening to you.
        Based on my *coughs* psychoanalysis, 😛 (yeah, please don’t kill me) you may be killing your creativity by shoving the story over to the logical part of your brain. In my experience, writing is an emotional/intuitive process for me, and when I try to put it all down and figure it out in a logical, step-by-step fashion, the zest of it bleeds out. I’m in unfamiliar territory. My mind is having to step outside of its preferred method of operation in order to understand something based on a logical analysis, not an abstract, intuitive one. There’s no mystery; no thrill of discovery. A huge part of what drives me in tackling a new story is the sheer excitement of not knowing what I’m getting into.

ANYWAY. For what that’s worth. 😉

Joy Schmidt
        @joy-schmidt
          • Total Posts: 37

@kate-flournoy it’s not really that-I love the story and the planning; it’s not that I get tired of the story, it’s that I’m just very satisfied, like I’m finished now because I have everything planned, and then I move onto the next idea. I sometimes that I’d be a better brainstormer than writer!

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

@Joy-Schmidt ohhhh! Well then, you just answered your own question! XD
            That’s very possible though.
            In which case, I’m afraid it’s probably just a discipline problem. Maybe you should ask yourself why you write— what it is about writing that makes you want to do it. I’ve read your work and I see a lot of potential, but if you write merely for the fun of the story in your head, and without any deeper burning passion, you might want to ask yourself some questions.

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy Didn’t I just tell you I was busy being productive?

@joy-schmidt
                Ahem. Here are three thoughts.

Don’t write because writing’s fun, because it isn’t fun (at least, not in any lighthearted way). Write only because writing is serious.

There is more to a story than what you have planned for it. Write to discover your character’s voice. Write to challenge yourself to do better than you even planned. Write for the dialogue that is going to emerge. Good dialogue is loaded with theme, emotion, and artistry.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  Louise Fowler
                  @perfectfifths
                    • Total Posts: 726

@joy-schmidt I have a similar problem, except I think it really is more the case of what Kate said the first time. @kate-flournoy So your psychoanalysis was not in vain. 😉

Currently reading Les Miserables

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper
                        • Total Posts: 3515

@daeus I slightly disagree with that. We should right because it’s fun. But when we do it for a job, then we should right because it’s our job. I write because it’s fun.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
                        @daeus

@kate-flournoy It’s just…how am I going to run a kingdom like this? *tragic face*

@dragon-snapper
                          There’s something to that, definitely. I know writing gives me moments of great ecstasy, but nine times out of ten, writing is more about discipline. My point is, if you want a fun hobby, there are other hobbies that require much less asceticism.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

@Daeus distractions are a part of life. Deal with them. Nine times out of ten, life is more about discipline.
                            XD

Daeus
                            @daeus

@kate-flournoy *sigh* You take the crown. I’m going to go have an existential crisis.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Snapper
                              @dragon-snapper
                                • Total Posts: 3515

@daeus Yes, but you’re not saying that writing is a drudgery are you? A hobby can be hard and still fun at the same time.

@joy-schmidt
                                I don’t really know what to say. The other two Chosen Ones seem to be a bit more knowledgeable than I am. However, if you’re satisfied with you’re plot, then I’d try writing the first few chapters, and see if you can get into the story even more after planning. Or, of course, you could try writing without planning and be what people call a ‘panster’. Or, you could keep planning out your stories and moving on to the next, and come back another day to write.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
                                @daeus

@dragon-snapper No, it can be every once and a while, but generally the hard work is accompanied by excitement. What I mean to say is, from my experience, if you write simply because it is fun, you will probably want to give up. However, if you write because writing is important to you, then you won’t give up.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >