Please say a prayer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics Please say a prayer

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Trailblazer
    @trailblazer
      • Total Posts: 595

@beth-torres

That’s good you guys caught it early. I’m sure it’s been nice to have a little time to mentally adjust and learn about how to manage it. It can be a pretty big lifestyle change, especially if you’re unprepared. My brother has type one as well- he was diagnosed when he was eight, I was ten. He had been having a lot of other issues with his stomach and so the doctors never tested him for diabetes, but it got to the point where he was sleeping almost all day, and could hardly eat anything, and my parents knew something else was going on and took him to the ER. That’s when he was finally diagnosed, but if it had gone on much longer, he could’ve died. But once he was on insulin, he improved drastically, and even his stomach issues disappeared, so we think it must’ve been connected somehow.

I was diagnosed about five years later, when I was fifteen. I started noticing that I was losing weight, and I was constantly thirsty/subsequently using the bathroom a lot, and since I had seen some of those symptoms in my brother, I suspected that I might have it, too. My parents weren’t concerned when I told them, but then one night I woke up feeling shaky after eating a whole bunch of junk food the day before at a party, and we checked my blood sugar levels and they were over 300, so that’s when we realized I had it, too. We went to the hospital later that morning and it was officially diagnosed, and I got started on insulin right away. Fortunately in my case I had time to mentally prepare, since I was suspecting it for over a month before it was officially diagnosed, and that made the transition easier (that and the fact that I was already familiar with diabetes because of my brother).

It’s definitely a change that can affect the whole family, so if you have any questions about it don’t hesitate to ask! I’ve been in the shoes of having a sibling with it, and now I’ve also had it myself for four years, so I understand the challenge it can be.

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Beth Torres
      @beth-torres
        • Total Posts: 331

@trailblazer

Oh wow. And thank you so much. I think the hardest thing for us rn is that he won’t each much anyway, being a picky 3 year old. And he’s still trying to figure out his emotions, and he gets sooo angry when his sugar is high and sometimes my little sister eggs him on then I have no clue or way to fix it because he’s also yelling at me to stop even though I was literally sitting there doing nothing.

Please confer to me a moment as I proceed to scrutinize this thought to the maximum degree.

Beth Torres
        @beth-torres

@trailblazer

Oh wow. And thank you so much. I think the hardest thing for us rn is that he won’t each much anyway, being a picky 3 year old. And he’s still trying to figure out his emotions, and he gets sooo angry when his sugar is high and sometimes my little sister eggs him on then I have no clue or way to fix it because he’s also yelling at me to stop even though I was literally sitting there doing nothing.

Please confer to me a moment as I proceed to scrutinize this thought to the maximum degree.

Trailblazer
          @trailblazer

@beth-torres

Aw, that’s especially tough if he’s so young he can’t even understand it very well! My brother gets irritable when his blood sugars are high, too, but he’s learned how to manage anger better now, so it usually comes across as grumpiness. I usually just get more tired than usual if my blood sugar is high.

I can also see how it would be hard to figure out how to give a toddler insulin when you’re not even sure how much he’s gonna eat. Did you say he’s just starting on insulin now? I assume he’d have to use the pens, too, which isn’t fun for anyone, but especially for a toddler. I’m on an insulin pump now, which makes life a whole lot easier for me, but insurance made me use the pens for six months before they would allow me to get a pump.

Beth Torres
            @beth-torres

@trailblazer

He is on insulin now, though it’s not much. I’m not even sure when they’ll let him get a pump. He is acting much better now since he started it, his glucose also isn’t skyrocketing as much.

Trailblazer
              @trailblazer

@beth-torres

That’s good! Does he do okay with needles?

Beth Torres
                @beth-torres

@trailblazer

Yes, actually. They somehow don’t bother him whatsoever. He may get a bit nervous sometimes but he usually doesn’t react.

Trailblazer
                  @trailblazer

@beth-torres

That’s great that they don’t bother him too much! It took my brother some time to get used to, because he’s more sensitive to needles. I still can’t imagine being a three-year-old though and trying to understand what’s going on.

Beth Torres
                    @beth-torres

@trailblazer

Yeah, I really don’t think he has any clue. I think he’s started to get used to everything, but I don’t think he understands why it’s happening or why it’s necessary.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >